Profile for Simon Thomas > Reviews

Content by Simon Thomas

Simon Thomas "bookaholic" (Oxford/Somerset, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Revolution In Me
Revolution In Me
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album of the year, 9 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Revolution In Me (Audio CD)
This is a truly amazing offering from the soul of Sugababes debut album. Whilst the style is quite similar to 'One Touch', this album is so much more sophisticated, much stronger and displays the diversity that should have shot this album to the top of the charts, not #101.
1. Nothing But Song - this is a brilliant opener, so catchy, but perhaps a little too reliant on Siobhan's high notes. Sounds quite ordinary the first time through, but REALLY grows on you.
2. Man Without Friends - the problem with this track is that it's sometimes difficult to remember which one it is, as the title bears little relation to the song. When you've stuck it in the CD player, however, it makes a huge impact. Brilliant.
3. Overrated - for me, the best song on the album. A disappointing chart position does not do justice at all to this guitar-lead ditty. Inspiring lyrics - unlike the impersonal stuff usually trolled out by girl groups. Amazing chorus.
4. Little Bits - I didn't like this when I first heard it, but it is SO good - the chorus really grows on you, and it's another heartfelt song.
5. As You Like It - the third best song on the album, with the best verses I've ever heard. usually verses are just used to bridge the gaps between choruses, but the melody of these verses and the lyrics "since ive been dealing with you / my principles have taken a move..." are fantastic.
6. XY - an extremely clever song, seeing a relationship in terms of XX and XY chromosones. A little 'cheesy' in places - "our love is fully blown" but how much rhymes with chromosone?
7. Suasex - dark! I didn't really understand this song, but it's very clever and good to listen to, even if it goes over my head. So much better than the filler tracks on 'One Touch'
8. Twist Of Fate - second single and second best song on the album - the chorus "can you find the words to say that I hate you it's not an easy thing to say" is fantastic - sooo catchy and should be top 5
9. Faces - good, but not the best of tracks
10. Dialect - another amazing song, that wouldn't really work as a single, but is so brilliant in an indie, stylish way
11. Revolution in Me - I quite like this track, but it's a little too understated for me.
12. Iodine - superb discussion on the Bush Blair war thing, with a comparison to Christmas turkeys. as I'm veggie, i have to agree! Truly inspired lyrics include "do you have the legs to bring us to arms" I love this song - probably going to be the third single - and whilst the record company will probably shockingly underrate the song, i'll be buying it!
I've not known anybody not to love this album, and everybody loves different tracks. For me, the two singles and 'As you like it' are the standout tracks on this album, but there isn't a single dud and it should have done much better! Go buy it.

Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (U.S. Version)
Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (U.S. Version)
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Supposed Former Jagged Little Rug, 29 Sept. 2003
To think that this album was dismissed by the public! If this had been recorded by anybody but the person who had previously made the best album of all time, it would have been hailed as perfection. I cannot believe such a genuis as Alanis faded into near-obscurity.
Thank U is fantastic, but not really representative of AM's style on this album. My favourite tracks as 'That I Would Be Good' and 'Can't Not', both of which are so beautiful I could cry every time I hear them. Perhaps 17 tracks was a little too long, but there is no need to abbreviate genius!
There are a couple songs I'm not wild about, and I think a stronger tune towards the beginning of the album might have made more critics listen properly, but, all in all, this album is a MUST HAVE - if you're reading this and considering buying it but aren't sure then DO BUY IT : IT'S NOT A LOT OF MONEY AND YOU WON'T REGRET IT AT ALL!!!

A.A.Milne: His Life
A.A.Milne: His Life
by Ann Thwaite

5.0 out of 5 stars Wondeful, 11 July 2003
This review is from: A.A.Milne: His Life (Paperback)
This book is truly in a class of its own - the best biography I have ever read. Ann Thwaite appreciates Milne's unique talent and versatility - docutmenting in full his plays, sketches, essays, poems, novels, autobiography, work on pacifism and, of course, children's books.
Ann Thwaite's book is so readable because she clearly loves Milne's books, whether she is dealing with his life (as the title suggests) and therefore him as a father and husband, or his professionaly life, or childhood, Thwaite deals with each topic in a stylistic and researched manner.
Nobody should read the Winnie the Pooh books until they have read this!

All I Have
All I Have
Offered by PRIMED! and ready to go......

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm...., 7 July 2003
This review is from: All I Have (Audio CD)
This single isn't one of J Lo's best, but the chorus is catchy and the video was cool.
I don't think it will be remembered, really, but will just add to the overall memory of Jennifer's hits

Lost Without You [CD 1]
Lost Without You [CD 1]
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars Would be lost without Delts..., 7 July 2003
This review is from: Lost Without You [CD 1] (Audio CD)
It was with this song that Delta proved she was more than just a Neighbours-babe, who could only sell songs if they'd been on BBC1 (and who actually believed that anyway, despite some poor-researching journalists?)
The verses are subtle and emotional, you get two choruses for the price of one, and Delta's voice is absolutely stunning throughout. Delta didn't write this song herself (as she did with 11 of the 14 on her album) but it seems like a Delta song anyway.
Brilliant

Innocent Eyes
Innocent Eyes
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - def. not just a Neighbours wannabe!, 7 July 2003
This review is from: Innocent Eyes (Audio CD)
1. Born To Try - the one that everybody's heard. It's a fantastic song, with truly original lyrics. Perhaps not the best on the album, but a perfect song to open the album with
2. Innocent Eyes - I had to listen to this a few times before I loved it, but now I do! 'Don't let me see mistakes and lies/let me keep my faith and innocent eyes'. Autobiographical and v. original
3. Not Me, Not I - one of my favourite on the album, and another that Delta co-wrote (she wrote or co-wrote 11 of the 14 on the album - not bad for a debut!!) This song is deep because it ios about a real breakup, not a pop-song fabricated one like so many artists
4. Throw It Away - Hmmm... you can tell Delts didn't write this one herself, as it is harmless pop
5. Lost Without You - fantastic, classy and memorable ballad - lots of other artists wanted to sing this one, but Delta got it!
6. Predictable - rockier, and shows off Delta's versatility. Really good, and at a perfect place in the album
7. Butterfly v reminiscent of Mariah Carey's song of the same name, and worthy of that great ballad-singer herself
8. In My Own Time - written solely by Delta, and should be nearer the top in the track listings. Even Delta's track 8 outshines most other artist's singles
9. My Big Mistake - not particularly memorable, but better than most artists
10. This Is Not Me - one of the first songs written, and another personal and therefore much-felt song
11. Running Away - brillaint opening, slightly rocky and very listenable
12. A Year Ago Today - moving, touching, written by Delts - what more can I say?
13. Longer - Shows once more that even the end of the album needn't have bad tracks - fantastic
14. Will You Fall For Me - the other song written SOLELY by Delta, and beautiful

Richmal Crompton: The Woman Behind Just William
Richmal Crompton: The Woman Behind Just William
by Mary Cadogan

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Wonderful, 20 May 2003
As with many children's authors, Richmal Crompton has also written some wonderful works for adults (including Family Roundabout, recently reissued by Persephone). Mary Cadogan explores the Just William stories with a panache and insight that value them at their true worth, but also writes extensively about Richmal's other novels. Cadogan manages excellently to satisfy both Just-William fans, and those who are interested in Richmal for her novels, whilst not alienating any who sought the book for just one of Richmal's talents.
Thank goodness this fairly scarce book was reissued!

The Provincial Lady in London
The Provincial Lady in London
by E. M. Delafield

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 13 Dec. 2002
I first came across E M Delafield in a combilation of sketches from the 1930s - and I then turned to her Provincial Lady series.
Words cannot describe the brilliance of these novels - this one (known to many as The Provincial Lady Goes Further) is unquestionably my favourite.
The first novel was clever, and in many ways her best, but the second has lost the tension of the first book. The last two, whilst good, rather lapse into autobiography and staidness in places.
This book is one of my favourite, and I'm very glad it has been brought back into print.

Rainbow
Rainbow
Offered by Rikdev Media

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring On The Rainbow, 5 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Rainbow (Audio CD)
Oh, how brilliant this album sounds when you contrast it with Charmbracelet! When I first bought it, I thought there were too many bland tracks, but I now ove them all! (except Bliss)
The great ballads - and lets be honest, its what she does best - are
- After Tonight
- Can't Take That Away (one of the best songs she's EVER done)
- Petals
- Against All Odds (x2)
you can even forgive her tracks with guest rappers for ballads this good.

Charmbracelet
Charmbracelet
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Mariah, Mariah, Mariah, 5 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Charmbracelet (Audio CD)
Well, for real Mariah fans everywhere, hearing 'Through The Rain' was like winning the lottery, except it sounded good too. I hoped that Mariah had returned to doing what she unquestionably does best - ballads.
Bits of previous albums had been disappointingly hiphop or RnB which is all very well, but doesnt do justice to the genius of singing talent that is Mariah Carey. Unfortunately, she hasnt learnt her lesson with 'Charmbracelet' - there are a few good ballads, notably '...Rain' and 'I Only Wanted' (even this isn't true ballad) but where were tracks as good as 'Without You' or even 'Against All Odds?' Too many bland tracks that anybody could do - use your voice, because you can, Mariah!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7