Profile for D. M. Williams > Reviews

Content by D. M. Williams

D. M. Williams (Woking, UK)

Planter Wooden trough 1m long x2 - Great for Spring planting
Planter Wooden trough 1m long x2 - Great for Spring planting

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality and value for money, 15 Nov. 2014
The one-star review is truly bizarre. I've assembled four of these today, and found it easy. The instructions were perfectly clear to me. No need for drilling at all - just a modicum of good old fashioned elbow grease.

I stained mine with wood preservative before assembling. Probably not necessary, but it has brought the grain out even more and they look great!

The finish is perfectly acceptable. These are, after all, garden planters not fine furniture. These were by far the cheapest wooden planters I found, but they are good quality and value for money.

Very pleased with these, and I have no connection with the seller.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Draper 15 Meter Soaker Hose
Draper 15 Meter Soaker Hose

2.0 out of 5 stars Holes poorly punctured, 22 Jun. 2014
This seems poorly made, because very few of the holes actually let any water out at all, even when attached to the mains or a water butt pump. I have had to re-prick the holes with a pin, which is tedious! Does work well now that I've done that.

1x joke rubber egg
1x joke rubber egg
Offered by Pakeeza

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressively realistic!, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: 1x joke rubber egg (Toy)
I got just one of these, and put it amongst the other eggs in the fridge. Even when placed right next to real eggs it is virtually indistinguishable - the colour is a perfect match for the most common type of egg, the texture is right, and it even weighs about the same as a real egg. There is a slight moulding line around the middle, but not enough to give the game away. My wife was completely fooled, and unless I'd intervened she would probably have written a complaint to Waitrose!

It bounces well, too - although directional control is tricky.

TFA 30,3032,10 Easy Go Radio Thermometer
TFA 30,3032,10 Easy Go Radio Thermometer

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - does more than I thought, 7 Oct. 2013
I bought this so that I could monitor the outside temperature and the temperature inside my greenhouse, all from inside the house. It does this nicely, and in fact does more than I realised. My only criticism is that the sales info on various web sites fails to describe the impressive functionality that the product has.

I ordered an extra sensor, because I thought I needed it for two external temperatures. But in fact the sensor that comes with it also has an optional probe on the end of a wire. Plugging this into the sensor actually gives you TWO temperature readings from the one outside sensor. Both temperatures get transmitted back to the base unit inside the house. I have therefore mounted this inside my greenhouse, with the wire probe going outside the greenhouse. The second sensor was therefore surplus to my requirements, but I've mounted it elsewhere in the garden - so I have THREE external temperatures in addition to the base unit which records the temperature inside the house: FOUR temperature inputs in total.

The unit records two sets of max/min temperatures for each input: one max/min resets itself every 24 hours, and the other max/min only resets itself when you tell it to. The latter also records the date and time when each max and min occurred. You can't reset the max/min inputs individually though: you can only reset them all at once. So in my case with the extra sensor I have EIGHT max and EIGHT min (2 for each of the 4 temperatures); without the extra sensor you'd have "only" SIX max and SIX min. If you didn't use the wire sensor you'd have FOUR max and FOUR min.

Set-up is quite easy: you just put the batteries into each unit in the correct order, waiting for the main unit to establish contact with the first external sensor before putting the batteries into the second sensor (if you have one). Range is okay - my greenhouse is about 30m away, and the base unit is inside a timber-framed upstairs dormer in the house. It might struggle through brickwork at that range. The plastic stand for the external sensor allows you to put it on a horizontal surface or screw it to a vertical.

The base unit is attractive and fairly easy to use, although the placement of the buttons on the back is a strange choice. The radio-controlled clock works well, and picked up the signal from Germany after an hour or so - this seems fairly typical. You just have to choose the right time zone adjustment.

So: attractive, works well, and does more than I thought. Clearer descriptions would have saved me from ordering the extra sensor, which I didn't really need.

Black & Decker GLC2500 Cless 18 Volt Reflex Strimmer (Old Version)
Black & Decker GLC2500 Cless 18 Volt Reflex Strimmer (Old Version)

3.0 out of 5 stars Overcharging will degrade a NiCad battery, 24 Aug. 2011
Whilst complaining about poor battery life, somebody said: "I also charged the battery for longer than the recommended time it states, on its first charge".

Er... that'll be why you get poor battery life, then! You ruined the battery before you'd even used it.

This machine has a Nickel-Cadmium battery. This type of battery is very susceptible to over-charging, and this is what gives the so-called "memory effect". In fact, it isn't really a memory effect at all; it's simply that if you over-charge the battery it will lose some of its battery life. The only way to avoid over-charging is to make sure you always run the battery right down before recharging it for the recommended time (and no longer!!!). If you partially discharge it then you have no way of knowing how long you should charge it for, and if you then charge for the full time you will over-charge the battery - and hence lose some of its battery life.

But even if you over-charge it on its first ever charge, you will degrade the battery.

Netgear WGXB102 54 Mbps Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kit
Netgear WGXB102 54 Mbps Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, once I finally got it working, 9 Nov. 2008
First point: This product only works "out of the box" if you have no security set up on your wireless network. All the reviews saying things like "I just plugged it in and it worked" are coming from people who have never bothered to alter the default settings on their networks, so we should all stand outside their houses and use the free internet access! :-)

Second point: I spent ages failing to get this thing to work, and I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about networking. It worked fine if I disabled all the security on my wireless network and went back to all the default Netgear settings (SSID etc), but I was unable to access the extender's Web UI for setting up the security settings to match my existing network. Setting a fixed IP address and then trying to access [...] as it says in the printed instructions, simply does not work. You never get a response.

Eventually, when I was about to chuck the damn thing in the bin, I gave up following the printed instructions and tried the setup configuration utility on the CD. This did work!

So, if you're still using all the default settings for your network (i.e. no security etc) then this product is truly plug-and-play. But if you want to use this product to extend your existing secured network, you need to rip up the printed instructions and use the utility on the CD instead.