Profile for Sinister Penguin > Reviews

Russell Hobbs 18941 Colours Kettle - Red
Russell Hobbs 18941 Colours Kettle - Red
Price: 26.60

2.0 out of 5 stars Not like the picture on Amazon, 27 Jan 2014
The picture for this product shows a nice metallic, shiny kettle of good quality.

Unfortunately what you receive is a cheap & nasty kettle with a dull matt red finish - sent it straight back.

Samsung ATIV Book 9 Lite 13.3-inch Touchscreen Laptop - White (Quad Core 1.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)
Price: 553.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Great "convenience" machine, 20 Sep 2013
I bought this machine for sitting in front of the TV doing things I can't do on a tablet or need a keyboard for (MS Office, some web shopping sites) & for this it is perfect.

It's thin, light & boots up AMAZINGLY quickly & has enough battery for an evening, especially if you set it to sleep when you close the lid. The touchscreen is also a handy shortcut (e.g. just tapping on a cell in Excel or pinching to zoom)

If you are looking for a Powerhouse look elsewhere but its a great consumer laptop in my opinion.

Pro's:

- Thin & lightweight.
- Boots up AMAZINGLY quickly (15 seconds)
- comes back from sleep almost instantly
- Good battery life, lasts an evening with no trouble.
- Touchscreen is very handy.
- Doesn't seem to get hot.
- Some great features in Windows 8

Con's:

- Some real annoyances in Windows 8
- Weird unexplained hanging ocassionally (only lasts a few seconds but annoying)
- Power socket looks flimsy
- a bit "plasticy"

EasyAcc Macbook 13.3 inch Felt Sleeve Carrying bag Ultrabook Laptop  bag for Apple Macbook Air 13, Acer Aspire S3, S5, S7, Asus Zenbook UX31, HP spectre xt, Samsung SERIES 9 NP900X3B, Samsung SERIE 5 NP530, Toshiba Satellite Z830 Ultrabook [Size: 13.3 inch, Color: Grey]
EasyAcc Macbook 13.3 inch Felt Sleeve Carrying bag Ultrabook Laptop bag for Apple Macbook Air 13, Acer Aspire S3, S5, S7, Asus Zenbook UX31, HP spectre xt, Samsung SERIES 9 NP900X3B, Samsung SERIE 5 NP530, Toshiba Satellite Z830 Ultrabook [Size: 13.3 inch, Color: Grey]
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store
Price: 39.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright, 19 Sep 2013
This sleeve is a little cheap looking & quite bulky.

Does the job well enough & I'm sure it will keep the machine safe.

The Swords Of Night And Day (Skilgannon the Damned 2)
The Swords Of Night And Day (Skilgannon the Damned 2)
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 9 Sep 2013
OK, it left a few loose ends & I'd have preferred it if a few plot ideas were followed through more but for me this is classic Gemmell & a great book!

Jumpstart to Skinny: The Simple 3-Week Plan for Supercharged Weight Loss
Jumpstart to Skinny: The Simple 3-Week Plan for Supercharged Weight Loss
Price: 7.12

3.0 out of 5 stars Jumpstart to misery..., 2 Sep 2013
This diet plan is not for the feint hearted!

I managed just over 2 days on it, but then I started seeing a roast chicken when I looked at my children & took that as a sign to quit. (though I did lose a couple of pounds)

To be fair Bob makes this clear right from the start, no carbs after breakfast & Bobs idea of breakfast carbs is pretty darn miserable.

You've gotta want it pretty bad to go through this diet for 3 weeks, be prepared for feeling weak & lethargic, headaches and huge, weird tasting, unsatisfying meals. So unless you REALLY want it & are slightly unhinged, perhaps save your money go for Bobs "Skinny Rules" instead.

I did go onto a "normal" diet after Bobs Jumpstart to Skinny & it was dead easy in comparison & I've lost a few pounds already so I guess the book has done the job in a weird way.

Oh & Bob, don't quit the day job - your recipes suck!

Nova War (Shoal Sequence Book 2)
Nova War (Shoal Sequence Book 2)
Price: 2.63

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard Work, 17 Jun 2013
Start halfway through & you won't be dissapointed - seriously.

I really enjoyed the first book in this series but unfortunately I found this one hard work. I felt the first half of the book could have been condensed into a couple of chapters & would have lost nothing, there is just page after page where nothing in particular happens.

Having said that the second half of the book is much more as I was expecting & far more enjoyable but in the end it was an effort rather than a pleasure to finish this book.

X44005 BANDSAW BLADE - WOOD 6TPI
X44005 BANDSAW BLADE - WOOD 6TPI
Offered by ptctools
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality - fair price, 17 Oct 2011
Yep - as described bandsaw blade for the above. Good quality, good cut - I'm using it to cut some high gloss wood flooring & this blade is getting a nice clean cut without any jaged edges & very little damage to the gloss finish - good stuff!

The Weight of Blood (The Half-Orcs Book 1)
The Weight of Blood (The Half-Orcs Book 1)
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad...., 20 July 2011
.. but not great either.

I found this book an enjoyable, easy read if a bit shallow.

On the plus side the book romps along at a good pace & doesn't let you get bored, there is plenty of action which is well written & interesting.

However, I did find the book a bit shallow & predictable in places. I thought the characters lacked depth & I never really made a connection with them. I found the love story was unbelievable, bordering on silly.

I would definitely read other books by this author though as I think he has the potential to write a truly excellent book - but this one just misses the mark for me.....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2011 11:38 AM BST

Elfhunter: A Tale Of Alterra, The World That Is (Tales of Alterra, the World that Is. Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars The Hobbit meets Mills & Boon, 12 Jun 2011
Really dull - nothing really happens, quite a bit of romance which isn't really what I was expecting from this book.

One of the few books I gave up on & didn't finish.

The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout -Kinect Compatible (Xbox 360)
The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout -Kinect Compatible (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 11.29

4.0 out of 5 stars A proper workout, 14 May 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Really good - way better than Wii fit, make no mistake this game actually gives you a proper workout.

I consider myself fit & I barely made if to the end of the fitness test - it was really hard work at the end. I'm not sure what Bob did to my buttocks but they hurt for days afterward!

Don't let that put you off though it works at all levels from gentle through to hardcore fitness fanatic & it's really good at helping you to do the exercises properly.

As people have mentioned the interface can be a bit clunky but it's not that bad & you don't spend much time in the menus anyway. I'm really pleased with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3