Profile for dixie dean > Reviews

Content by dixie dean

dixie dean (uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Unspeakable Prayers, Treblinka to Chicago (Thaddeus Murfee Legal Thriller Series Book 8)

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's Thaddeus?, 20 July 2015
I am a John Ellsworth/Thaddeus Murphy fan but this book just doesnt work. I didnt read the preface but just assumed that it was typical of previous Thaddeus Murphy cases. Howver, he doesnt get a mention until halfway through the book and then only plays a small part. Historically I thought the prose dragged on too much - a great deal has been written on concentration camps and this had nothing new and much of the book is pure misery. You can easily skip this book and not miss out on Thaddeus. Very disappointing.

Try Dying (Ty Buchanan Legal Thriller #1)
Try Dying (Ty Buchanan Legal Thriller #1)

1.0 out of 5 stars This book makes you feel like slitting your wrists after the first few pages, 21 Jun. 2015
I must confess for probably the first time ever I did not get past chapter 1. There is enough misery in this world without creating more. This book makes you feel like slitting your wrists after the first few pages. I like thrillers but not stuff like this. One to miss.

Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher Book 4)
Never Tell (Ellie Hatcher Book 4)

2.0 out of 5 stars One to Miss, 13 Jun. 2015
I normally enjoy Alafair Burke and I would certainly read her again. This one though is a poor effort with very little excitement, a complicated plot and an unsatisfactory ending. In fact I couldnt believe it when I turned the page and it was acknowledgements. It was almost as if someone had torn out the climax. Also the characters were not particuylarly likeable including the heroine who on this occasion seemed a bit slow in thought. One to miss really.

The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully Novels)
The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully Novels)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant just brilliant., 26 May 2015
I must say i thought this book was absolutely brilliant. I have read all the Shane Scully books in order and think this is the best yet. I dont read them one after the other but will read a couple of other authors in between. So many others are either not as well written, have a predictable plot or cannot develop the characters. Stephen Cannell is brilliant at all these things and his death is a terrible blow from a purely selfish viewpoint. This book is outstanding for its style of writing and gripping entertainment and highly recommended.
I have only one more left to read and it will be a sad day when I finish this series. I have only found Michael Connelly to equal this author and if anyone knows anyone else comparable please recommend him or her. Thank you.

Cruel Justice (Justice series Book 1)
Cruel Justice (Justice series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars How disappointing after good reviews. I like to read books that are ..., 17 May 2015
How disappointing after good reviews. I like to read books that are written well with an educated style and designed for those with an IQ of over 100. Sadly this falls far short of that and is obviously aimed at Sun readers. Her writing style is too simple with no subtlety. The plot is very obvious and the ending exactly as everyone would predict. Even worse as many other reviewers have commented, the heroine is totally unlikeable. I had sandwiched this between 2 Meg Gardiner books and the difference is phenomenal.

The Case Against William
The Case Against William

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good., 11 May 2015
Worth 4 stars as he is a really good writer and this is an easy read on the beach or on a plane. Not 5 stars though as too much about American football which slowed the book down in the first half and also the ending whilst being very corny was not full enough for me. A bit abrupt really. This is judging it though on his previous high standards and is still well worth the read.

The Shadow Tracer
The Shadow Tracer

5.0 out of 5 stars ... critical as I get older but I have only good things to say about this book, 6 May 2015
This review is from: The Shadow Tracer (Kindle Edition)
I am becoming more critical as I get older but I have only good things to say about this book. The author is excellent and this plot is well thought out and detailed. In fact when I realized I was only halfway through the book I was worried she would not be able to sustain the level of suspense but I need not have been concerned. The book maintains its pace and the ending is well thought out and detailed. An excellent read whether travelling, on holiday or for sitting by the fire at home. Well done Meg, great stuff.

On the Grind: A Shane Scully Novel (Shane Scully Novels)
On the Grind: A Shane Scully Novel (Shane Scully Novels)

4.0 out of 5 stars I am a great fan of this author and have read the Scully ..., 15 April 2015
I am a great fan of this author and have read the Scully books in order. I have given all previous books 5 stars and this one is certainly very gripping and entertaining. However, it loses its 5th star because the first quarter of the book leads us to believe that this high principled cop with a wonderful marriage has suddenly changed to this rogue policeman when the answer is totally obvious. I couch it in those terms so as not to give too much away but it does insult the readers intelligence. Apart from that Mr Cannel is as brilliant as ever and I am so sorry that I only have 2 or 3 left to read.

Rules of Crime (A Detective Jackson Mystery)
Rules of Crime (A Detective Jackson Mystery)

3.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable Ending, 29 Mar. 2015
I really enjoy this series although the ending to this one is not really believable. The authors style is good and makes easy reading for travel holiday or simply for sitting by the fire on a Sunday afternoon. The books lack the depth of Michael Connelly or Stephen Cannell but nonetheless make very enjoyable reading. Just hope the next book has a more realistic ending.

White Sister: A Shane Scully Novel (Shane Scully Novels)
White Sister: A Shane Scully Novel (Shane Scully Novels)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent thriller, 26 Mar. 2015
Thoroughly enjoyable book which is easily worth 5 stars. Yes the plot is a little far fetched at times but it does not detract from this thriller with several twists and turns. I am slowly working my way through the Scully books with great pleasure although sadly with the authir's sad demise they will soon come to an end. that is a real shame.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10