Profile for Neil > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Yepp Kids Maxi Child Bike Seat - Black
Yepp Kids Maxi Child Bike Seat - Black
Price: 99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install (once you read the instructions), 14 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had prepared myself for a difficult installation using various tools but was pleasantly surprised with this. It was relatively straightforward to install once I paid attention to the instructions (which were unclear in a few small areas).

- once in place it feels quite sturdy; it gave me confidence from a safety perspective
- although it's a lightweight seat, it does take getting used to once you're cycling; this is more about having an additional weight (infant) at the back
- positioning is good, with the infant sitting at a great vantage point on the bicycle
- one of my concerns is that the infants legs wouldn't have anywhere to go but this turned out to be fine
- has a good harness which securely attaches the infant to the seat.

Overall I'm really pleased with this. Of course road traffic is my next concern but I'll be sticking to quieter roads when I have junior onboard.

Practise & Learn: Mental Maths (Ages 5-7) (Practice & Learn)
Practise & Learn: Mental Maths (Ages 5-7) (Practice & Learn)
by CGP Books
Price: 3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars As it states, better for practice, overall very good, 14 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this book to be very good for practice questions. It's varied, well laid out and covers various elements of simple mathematical concepts. The only downside I felt was that it sometimes used words a bit too regularly (e.g. 'subtraction' instead of using the minus sign) but this is only a minor point.

It's nice and colourful and easily captures the attention of the student. Perfect for extra practice at home.

Disney Princess Flip Out Sofa
Disney Princess Flip Out Sofa
Price: 21.72

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay as a toy, not that practical as a sofa/bed, 14 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Only order this item if you like Disney Princesses and the colour pink! Overall I found this more of a novelty item than anything actually practical:

- it's inflatable therefore not that sturdy; the covering material doesn't feel that robust either
- smaller than I thought therefore limited seating space (2 young infants at most)
- the flip out bit isn't very comfortable therefore I wouldn't expect any infants to be able to sleep on it
- I would say it's great as a toy but I wouldn't expect anything more from it.

I recently ordered the Chico sofa which I found to be much, much better.

Panasonic Blue/ Silver Self Hair Clipper
Panasonic Blue/ Silver Self Hair Clipper

5.0 out of 5 stars Study, quiet, well built clipper, 14 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I previously used a Remington clipper before moving to this Panasonic one. It's easy to use, light and is actually quite flexible:

- Firstly, the charger has a 3-pin plug which makes a welcome change. It means you won't be able to charge from a shaver socket but at least it's now compatible with most UK households without having to use a 2-pin adapter
- Charging unit has a nice design
- It's well built, has a single on/off button; I used as a dry shaver but can be used as a wet shaver as well
- Comes with 2x attachments: one is a variable length trimmer and the other is a fixed length for a shorter trim
- Fairly quiet when in use which is nice
- Ergonomic grip which makes it easy to hold

The only drawback that I found is that hair often collected in the trimmer section which was a bit annoying. It didn't take much to clear but is a bit irritating.

Overall this is highly recommended, easy to use and will certainly save a few trips to the barbers!

Revell Control RC Micro Helicopter Spike with Gyro (Infrared)
Revell Control RC Micro Helicopter Spike with Gyro (Infrared)
Price: 22.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, although pls take care when flying indoors!, 14 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, this helicopter is fantastic and will keep you occupied for absolutely ages. Mine arrived over a week ago and I still look forward to using it. Note that it did take me about an hour to get to a point where I didn't continuously crash it!

- very lightweight helicopter therefore best suited to indoors where there is little airflow
- as a consequent of being light, the batter doesn't last more than 5-10 minutes per charge
- charging is easy - can be changed via either a USB cable or from the remote control
- remote control feels quite solid
- although lightweight, it does withstand crashes (crashing into walls, ceilings, people, etc!)
- it has flashing LED lights on each side and a LED 'headlight' which can be turned on/off from the remote control
- the remote control has a trim feature which is great at calibrating the helicopter rotors (very easy to adjust)
- although the remote control is infra-red (and not radio), I didn't find this an issue unless the helicopter went out of sight (which was rare)

Some points to bear in mind:
- the remote control takes 6x AA batteries, which is quite a few in my mind
- the charge port at the side of the helicopter is quite fragile therefore take care when plugging it in
- it does come with spare blades but you will need a very, very fine screwdriver to adjust (similar to opticians tools)
- don't do what I do and tighten the blades before you start; it's not needed (and the manual isn't totally clear in this point)
- it doesn't take too long to charge, but don't more than a few minutes of air time
- one irritating thing is that the USB charger lights up when it's not supplying a charge; this should mean that the charge is complete but can also mean that you haven't plugged it into the helicopter. It's only a minor point but would have been nice to have an indicator to say it's charging as well.

Trunki SnooziHedz Travel Pillow and Blanket - Pippin the Penguin (Black)
Trunki SnooziHedz Travel Pillow and Blanket - Pippin the Penguin (Black)
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite light and practical for travel, 20 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is effectively a fleece blanket with a blow-up cushion:
- fleece is reasonably thick which will easily keep an infant warm
- although expect the white penguin patches to pick up fibres very quickly - mine was already covered in fibres when I first opened it!
- design stitching is a bit basic but this isn't really an issue
- the cushion is attached to the blanket with a little tag; it's actually quite effective and makes it easy to attach/detach
- but the cushion doesn't actually have a shape therefore can easily move out of position
- the blanket folds neatly away into the penguin's head.

Overall it's a nice idea and I can see it being very handy when flying, etc.

Ambi Toys Baby's First Car
Ambi Toys Baby's First Car
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Very simple toy, 20 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There's not much I can say about this:
- reasonably sturdy plastic design
- the eyes move up and down
- the button on the top makes a squeaking sound.

It's very basic and I feel it's a bit overpriced for what it is. Also, the one thing it's missing is a piece of string for the baby to pull along. Without this it has limited appeal.

Fisher-Price Space Saver High Chair
Fisher-Price Space Saver High Chair
Price: 45.36

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall good, very handy when eating out, 12 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this. Essentially it's a baby seat (with a removable tray) that is strapped onto normal chair. (Note that I reviewed this with my 16month old son):

- Designed to be strapped onto another chair; it does feel quite stable when in place
- Seat itself feels solid, it's quite light therefore easily portable (we sometimes take it in the car when going to people's houses)
- The tray is removable therefore can be used as a booster seat when the child grows older
- Although the actual tray feels a bit flimsy (easy to bend); it clips in place therefore I don't think it would take much effort for a child to kick it off
- Straps are at lap position and easy to adjust (there are also shoulder-level straps but my son didn't like these!)
- Seat material is wipeable making it very easy to clean

A point to note - if considering this, ensure you measure the height of your chair and then the height of your table. If you want to use as a booster seat then you'll need to check this, otherwise the child's legs may not fit under the table when on the seat!!

The Gro Company Height Chart Sticker Set Jolly Jungle
The Gro Company Height Chart Sticker Set Jolly Jungle
Price: 19.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Colourful with lots of stickers, 12 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you like to stick things on walls then this is perfect. It's a little expensive for a set of stickers but it does have a good selection of stickers and is colourful enough to brighten any room. The stickers themselves are really good quality and actually quite fun to stick to the wall.

The only downside that I can see is that, once fixed, you don't stand much chance of being able to move the stickers (you can move them quickly if you've just stuck them on, but leave them on for a day or so and it's pretty much permanent). Therefore you need to ensure that your wall feature is going to be a permanent fixture!

Given a choice, I think I would have preferred a removable backdrop that I could take down if needed, upon which I could have added the stickers.

Note that I also have a Grobag Bag and Egg, this sticker set is of the same high standard of quality as other Gro products.

Fisher-Price Perfect Fit Toilet Training Seat
Fisher-Price Perfect Fit Toilet Training Seat
Price: 11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet effective design, 12 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Excellent design - as with most Fisher Price items, this feels sturdy, it has smooth curves (ie no sharp edges, making it easy to clean) and is light and portable, making it ideal to travel with.

We have 2 toilets of different designs, this seats fits well on both of them therefore no concerns about it slipping off. The handle is really helpful and I couldn't think of anything to make this design better.

Of course the bright colours and duck face help, I guess what's more important is that my son finds it very comfortable to sit on.

Recommended.