Profile for Jessica Chivers > Reviews

Content by Jessica Chivers

Jessica Chivers "The Thinking Woman's Coach" (Hertfordshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Two defective ipigs, 6 Jan 2014
Both of the units we've received (original and replacement) have been defective - the problem seems to be with the ipod docking area. We got the second one working by playing music from my Macbook using the cable and the sound is good. However, the whole point of the item is being able to play music from an ipod. We're hugely disappointed by this as it was a Christmas present for our daughter and she was cool about it at Christmas but then to receive a second faulty one in January was poor form. On top of that, the seller would only reimburse 10% of the item's value by way of return postage costs, leaving me £5 out of pocket (postage was £9.10 recorded delivery).

Heels of Steel: Surviving & Thriving In The Corporate World
Heels of Steel: Surviving & Thriving In The Corporate World
by Vanessa Vallely

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, pithy and a blueprint for city women, 26 Oct 2013
In writing Heels of Steel, Vanessa Vallely is demonstrating how being generous in spirit, time and resources can fuel an individual's career. I worked in the City of London myself and would loved to have met her back then (better late than never). The book is divided into two parts: the first is Vanessa's tale of how she left behind cleaning offices as a pre-teen with her single mum, to become a respected and head-hunted IT professional and the second is a bank of practical career tips women at all stages of their careers can pick up and usefully apply. It's very easy to read and you'll fly through it like a juicy work of fiction. The word 'inspiring' will be used in all reviews of this book I'm sure and so I hesitate to use it again myself but it's true. Having met Vanessa I can vouch for what an authentic read this is - she's generous and collaborative to the core and by golly she's tenacious. Do buy a copy for a colleague or friend who's coming up the career ladder with you or who's just starting out.

Feeding the Rat: A Climber's Life on the Edge
Feeding the Rat: A Climber's Life on the Edge
by A. Alvarez

5.0 out of 5 stars Why people climb, 8 Oct 2013
A book that observes the best, most interesting bits of the author's friend and fellow climber, Mo. My favourite quotes from the book:

"That's why I like feeding the rat. It's a sort of annual check-up on myself. The rat is you, really. It's the other you, and it's being fed by the you you think you really are."

"But to snuff it without knowing who you are and what you're capable of, I can't think of anything sadder than that."

Juppa® Apple Iphone 5 / 5S TPU Gel Case with Screen Protector, Micro Fibre Cleaning Cloth and Application Card (Clear)
Offered by Invero

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, screen protector great, 11 Sep 2013
Fits perfectly and comes off easily enough (but does not slip off, it's a snug fit). I'd forgotten it came with a screen protector - added bonus. Great value for money and was delivered quickly. Only downside is that I have to take it off in order to put my iphone on my Bose docking station as the thickness of the cover prevents the phone sitting correctly on the station.

21 Ways to Manage the Stuff that Sucks Up Your Time
21 Ways to Manage the Stuff that Sucks Up Your Time
by Grace Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars Super simplicity, 10 Sep 2012
Grace writes with pith and knowingness. The challenge is for people to put her simple, incredibly effective insights and tips to work deliberately -- when they do they'll be self reinforcing as the results will be plain to see. One for all newly self-employed people amongst others.

Flex: Do Something Different
Flex: Do Something Different
by Ben Fletcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Think you're successful? Read this and be more so, 15 April 2012
Are you a leader, a manager, a parent, a friend? If yes, you and the people around you will get something by you reading this book. Forget the pop psychology books about how to be thinner, richer, sexier, smarter, this is better and more fun. Grounded in robust research and written in an easy going and easily applicable style Profs Fletcher and Pine demonstrate something as simple as changing your automatic response to a situation (your usual way of being, ergo your habits) can make you more successful and less stressed. The best bit is, it's all very easy if you're willing to see that there could be more to you than mets the eye. Do something different, read this book and you and the people around you will reap the benefits.

More To Life Than Shoes: How to Kick-start Your Career and Change Your Life
More To Life Than Shoes: How to Kick-start Your Career and Change Your Life
by Nadia Finer

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, sassy inspiration for women of all ages, 14 April 2011
More to Life Than Shoes is a book you can pick up for five minutes or fifty minutes and come away believing you have it in you to turn your life around. More than a career book, MTLT is a source of inspiration and practical tools for kick-starting the journey towards achieving ANY of your (wistful) dreams - which may of course be career-bound. The front cover might suggest this is a book for young women - it's not. Both men and women, young and old can get something from it, although it is especially relevant for someone who feels drained or despondent with the way their working life is at the moment.

The authors combine self deprecating wit and warmth with case study after case study of women who've achieved some incredible things. They deconstruct how each woman they profile has achieved what they have and draw out insights for the reader to take away and use in her own life right now. That's what makes it a powerful and useful read and why I will be recommending to some of my clients.

Being a writer myself (Mothers Work!: How to Get a Grip on Guilt and Make a Smooth Return to Work) I liked the profile of Joanne Harris who says it's OK to walk away from your PC on days when the words just aren't coming. My favourite story though, was that of Hilary Lister, the quadriplegic who sailed the coast of Britain single-handedly. I shan't say anymore but suffice to say the book will move you and highly likely to make you take action on your own life. If it doesn't, you'd do well to try the More To Life Than Shoes group meetings in towns across the UK.

Coaching Women to Lead (Essential Coaching Skills and Knowledge)
Coaching Women to Lead (Essential Coaching Skills and Knowledge)
by Averil Leimon

5.0 out of 5 stars Making a difference to female retention, 12 Feb 2011
Based on quantitative and qualitative research, Coaching Women to Lead is an authoritative read that makes a strong case for differential support for women to progress their career into leadership. It is straight-talking and practical in tone and content which I think is excellent - no `clevering up' of coaching. It is arguably an essential read for executive coaches, talent managers and Equality & Diversity personnel. Line managers would also benefit and is an interesting read for women interested in elevating their career. The executive coach gleans practical techniques and approaches to use in coaching sessions (for example chapter 6 "Coaching women to lead - a systematic approach to coaching women for success") whilst the `within-organisation' professionals will gain an insight into what is needed at the different stages of a woman's career and life stage in order to retain and develop their talented female employees (Chapter 3 "What are the critical stages of a woman's career and their coaching requirements?" and Chapter 8 "How to develop a woman-friendly organisation"). The talent leakage is alarming and if the book can do anything it is to make the need for intervention abundantly clear. I would have liked a section covering real examples from named organisations on what innovative/effective activities are taking place to support women's journey up the ladder. They may be thin on the ground but they do exist and could inspire other organisations to do more.

If you liked this you may be interested in my book aimed at helping mothers get back to work - Mothers Work!: How to Get a Grip on Guilt and Make a Smooth Return to Work

Rock Choir: Vol1
Rock Choir: Vol1

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunshine as Sound, 21 July 2010
This review is from: Rock Choir: Vol1 (Audio CD)
Unashamedly bias as I'm part of Rock Choir so was always going to buy the album. However, I really wasn't expecting it to be so polished and professional. It's sunshine for the soul with the upbeat songs and moving tracks like "Something inside so strong" which we listened to for the first time driving up the M1 one FRiday with two kids in tow. Had the kids smiling and Grandma too so I think we can say this is an all-rounder and good for all ages. The soloists are excellent and the choir harmonies rich and moving. A good, uplifting gift and even running/gym fodder to my surprise.

New Toddler Taming: A parents' guide to the first four years: The World's Bestselling Parenting Guide
by Christopher Green

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 29 Oct 2008
This book is worth reading because it helps you see the world through your toddler's eyes and it has made me think more compassionately towards my son when his behaviour makes me want to run away! I now feel like I want to make more time for my son which is a positive feeling, especially with a new baby in the house taking up so much time. Dr Green is not at all patronising or overly directive as some parenting books are. He makes sensible suggestions based on all of his experiences and I have really felt that this guy knows what he's talking about. The book covers all aspects of parenting a toddler and I find myself nodding away to the scenarios and feelings he describes us parents having. He's got an entertaining way of writing which actually makes it quite an enjoyable read - not something I would usually say about this genre!

Page: 1 | 2