Profile for jj_hankinson > Reviews

Content by jj_hankinson

"jj_hankinson"

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)
Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Sony EX-71, 28 Nov 2005
I've had two pairs of Sony EX-71 both of which developed identical faults (lost sound to one earphone due to faulty connection in the cable). I decided that after two pairs developing the same fault, it was a design flaw with that product and I wouldn't buy again.
That said the passive noise reduction and sound quality the Sony EX-71 earphones offer is excellent for commuting (I'm on the tube for 2 hours every working day). After looking at alternatives for a while I noticed the Creative EP-630 earphones and given that they were only £20, took the risk and bought them straight away.
So far, I've found these earphones surprisingly good. They are as comfy as the Sony headphones (which is not surprising since the ear buds seem to be identical). I think audiophiles are dopes, but I can say that I *believe* the sound quality is pretty good from these headphones. I get sufficient bass and there isn't too much screechy treble like you sometimes get with cheaper earphones. In fact, I might even say that the sounds quality is better than the Sony's, since with the Creatives I can actually hear the very quiet digital distortion that I know some of my CD rips have got (from ripping from some specific copy protected CDs).
All this said, I haven't had these long enough to be sure they won't develop similar faults to the Sony's, but at first glance the earphones themselves seem to be of better build quality (nice little grills rather than Sony's wax prone single little holes) and the cable quality seems fine.
One final point, these earphones come with a full length cable and not a short cable with additional cable extender like the Sony EX-71 earphones do. This isn't a problem for me as I don't have an inline remote for my player, but might put some people off as there can be a lot of spare cable to deal with if you do.
All in all a nice little pair of earphones for commuting, and comfortable enough to use for several hours in the office too.