Profile for wondermaze > Reviews

The First Casualty
The First Casualty
by Ben Elton

3.0 out of 5 stars A gripping tale but...., 1 Oct. 2006
This review is from: The First Casualty (Paperback)
Ben Elton, once again, shows that he has the ability to craft an entertaining and well observed story. However, there are some very strange aspects to this book. Whilst some have complained about historical and geographical inaccuracies, I am not concerned with these. Personally I feel that there are some spurious scenes that are simply a vehicle for Elton to put forward his political view of the world. I can see no other reason for the inclusion of the "Irish story line". It actually bears no relationship to the main story whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, Ben Elton has written another gripping tale that gets you urgently turning the pages. However, it has a one thing in common with all the other Elton books I have read - I didn't warm to any of the characters. I was intrigued to find out what happened to them but didn't really care.

So, a good read but I can see entirely how this book could be rated anywhere from 1 to 5 stars.

Electro-Shock Blues
Electro-Shock Blues
Offered by 247dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better, 17 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Electro-Shock Blues (Audio CD)
Eels are like, well .. nobody really!
Whatis more, this is a very different album from the previous Beautiful Freak. So it's nothing like they have done either. So that makes it "New" in my book.
E's well documented family history is in evidence right from the beginning of what, on first listen appears to be a rather melancholy album. But their are a lot of positives to be found amongst the angst.
"Going to your funeral" may seem a rather depressing title, but what a great track. "Cancer for the Cure" follows it up with a song like no other you have ever heard. But then there is "Last stop this town", "climbing to the moon", "ps you rock my world". This album just gets better and better with each listen.
If you are looking for something bizarre then "Baby Genius" is waiting for you.
It can be a challenging listen but well worth the effort.
The whole albulm can be summed up in the lyrics of the last track
" I was at a funeral when I realised I wanted to spend my life with you"
The juxtaposition of the melancholy and the uplifting is a recurring theme of a great albulm.