Profile for A. L. Oliveira [R.D.] > Reviews

Content by A. L. Oliveira...

A. L. Oliveira [R.D.] (Portugal)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12
The Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Theory (Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy)
by David N. Gilbert

5.0 out of 5 stars "El chino", as spanish students call it., 27 Jun. 2012
A must have with every student inside the pocket. I actually had some trouble finding out that this book was "El chino" that everybody talked about as THE essential therapeutical guide for students and interns.
Anyway, it's amazing and I would recommend it avidly :) Very easy to "read" and find what you're searching for.

Case Files Internal Medicine, Third Edition (Lange Case Files)
Case Files Internal Medicine, Third Edition (Lange Case Files)
by Eugene C. Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Good training for finals, 27 Jun. 2012
As I said for the case files - surgery, the same applies to this one. It's a good practice/resuming book, the cases are not difficult (except a couple of them) but the advantage really comes with the "resuming main subjects". I'm repeating myself, I know, but my opinion stands the same - it's not essential but it's a good compendium of the classic/typical stuff that we might find on Int.Med rotation. Which is good. This book don't come up with the really rare stuff that ocasionally may appear and gets you all frustrated because you didn't remember that particular item from that impossible long list of diseases what may cause dyspnea (it's just an example).
I find it a little more handy and useful than the surgery one because you actually can use it, take it to the hospital, have it in the locker and if something comes up and you have time to research, it's a good starting point.
I used to to practice as well before my finals and it gave me a good perspective, helped with clearing some doubts and that is why I recommend this book.
:D

Case Files Surgery, Third Edition (Lange Case Files)
Case Files Surgery, Third Edition (Lange Case Files)
by Eugene C. Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Good training for finals, 27 Jun. 2012
From all the books with med cases, I thing these from "casefiles" are the best. I used this to practice my knowledge for my final surgery exam which would consist of several cases (of any area of general surgery)to discuss and all, and it was really gratifying. The cases focus on the typical surgical stuff we have to be alert for, then the way the case is explained also helps to resume the subject.
The cases are not excessively difficult. In fact, they are very typical and "easy" when one has studyied the whole theory already - but the training is precious.
I would advise it to any student - before an exam or even before going on rotation (if that's the case), because it alerts you to the most common things - signs, symptoms and actions that should take place when you face a similar patient.
Clears some silly doubts and confusions one might have.
I think it's pretty good - not essential, but a nice resuming technique.

Taylorhe Kindle Sleeve/6" 7" Tablet Sleeve umbrella symbol
Taylorhe Kindle Sleeve/6" 7" Tablet Sleeve umbrella symbol

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sleeve for a random 7'tablet, 27 Jun. 2012
Okay so I bought this sleeve without actually knowing if it was going to fit the 7' tablet. My BF had bought once this 20x12,7x1,5cm tablet and the thing was going around "naked" all over the place. So I checked this sleeve dimension and well, gave it a try. And it was great - a good fit, (not tight or loose), just actually fits the tablet and some thin earphones well accomodated inside.
He loves resident evil so the surprise was actually bombastic. It's original, the material is good, resistent, the colors are just as exposed in the image and that is why I'm considering purchasing more to fit my e-reader.
Excellent service, arrived one day earlier to scheduled and I'm plenty satisfied.
:) The shipping is a little expensive (~6£, which are ~7.4 ) (I live in Portugal)but considering I wouldn't find anything like this around here, it compensates.
So, summing up: 5 out of 5.

Let the Right One in [Blu-ray]
Let the Right One in [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Kåre Hedebrant

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, just like the book., 30 Jan. 2012
It is a very good movie, of course not as shocking as the book.
It's very gratifying to see a good quality vampire- movie, not the disgusting things that nowadays seem to give credit to.
The characters are great, very well chosen, the plot is... well, amazing and, without wanting to spoil it to you: if you're a fan of classic vampire cinema, then this is a good movie for you. It's an intelligent movie-making, the concept is original and the movie adaptation is fenomenal - although not exactly AS the book. The book is very explicit and "though". And it excells exactly because of that!
If your likings go to Twilight and Twilight-related stuff,forget it.
I'd give it 5 stars, without even thinking twice!
Enjoy*

Equilibrium [Blu-ray]
Equilibrium [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale

5.0 out of 5 stars A great movie unknown to many., 22 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Equilibrium [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Well I didn't know how this simple movie could become so addictive. The concept is original, the producing is great and we get to see Christian Bale at his best. John Preston sure is an amazing character.
And we get to see some known actors in this movie. It's refreshing, to say the least.
I highly recommend it.
5 out of 5, undoubtly.

Betrayed: Number 2 in series: 2/6 (House of Night)
Betrayed: Number 2 in series: 2/6 (House of Night)
by Kristin Cast

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the first one., 22 Oct. 2011
I'm not particularly fond of the HoN series but I have to admit this one was (a little) better than the first book. More tension, a whole new element involved to mess up things, how her "tutor" and supposed friend turned out to be something different and the speed at which things changed.
So, I would say this book would be just fine for a afternoon reading. Although I had no plans of reading the following books, someone told me that the following are better.
I guess I'll try eventually and buy the third just to see if it's really true.
So I suppose a 3 out of 5 for this book.

Afterlife (Evernight, Book 4)
Afterlife (Evernight, Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, not a good ending..., 22 Oct. 2011
Okay, okay. It really disappointed me the way the saga ended.
I enjoyed seeing Lucas as a vampire and how Balthazar sticked to him; I was glad to see that Charity's psychotic plan and characther was finally over. And, of course, not to mention Ms Bethany situation and resolution. But, I did not like - the fact that Bianca remained a wraith forever; Lucas' "salvation"... I wasn't expecting to be like that... and oh, the endind. Not of my liking.
It felt really... incomplete or maybe a little - how should I put it? - fragile.
I think that stories with characters that go through so much to stay together must end with a strong component of decisiveness and a powerful end must give the reader a sensation of "oh well, there was no other way but this...". The certainty that Lucas will die eventually and that Bianca won't... it's sad and depressing.
So I confess I didn't particularly like how the saga ended, although I enjoyed it immensely. I would like to see how Balthazar would do in the future. I kind of liked his character.
So, to my dismay, I would rate this book 3 out of 5.
Just because of the way it ended. And that's pretty much it.

Stargazer (Evernight, Book 2)
Stargazer (Evernight, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars As to be expected., 22 Oct. 2011
I honestly liked how it went from the first book.
The tension about the whole "meetings" things, the faking with Balthazar and the weirdness about the freezing windows didn't allow me to put the book down without reading it 'till its very end.
I think Gray has a enormous capacity of keeping your interest as the plot thickens. I enjoyed very much this second book and if I had to define it in one word it would be "tense" - in a good way.
And not to mention there was a time I really thought Bianca and Lucas were done, really. And that's a good thing. The worst thing to happen with a story is to become predictable (as in certain stories I've read, in which you almost guess what's going to happen afterwards).
So, in conclusion, 5 out of 5.

Hourglass (Evernight, Book 3)
Hourglass (Evernight, Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars It surprised me., 22 Oct. 2011
Okay I must admit I wasn't expecting such development. Gray did surprise me when she inserted the wraits more specifically - and when Bianca, well, "died". It really hurt me to read the moment of her transition, and the way she became another entity, just like that.
I particularly enjoyed Bianca and Lucas's proximity, their little "honeymoon"-like at Vic's place and how they struggled to get out of Black Cross. Balthazar character didn't disappoint me, and her sister psychiatric problem enhanced the tension of the story.
Lucas's transformation in the end surprised me as well although I suspected it would happen eventually but certainly NOT with Bianca being a wraith now.
Okay, I admit. The wraith thing disturbs me.
But it was a good book, a great reading. Emotions were high while I read this.
5 out of 5.