Profile for David J. Mccarlie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Echoes Of Madness
Echoes Of Madness

5.0 out of 5 stars Another thrilling read, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: Echoes Of Madness (Kindle Edition)
Based around the first world war, this was completely different to Coming Home. Very well written and, once again, great character development.

What surprises me about the author is his ability to take you places you would never have thought of. I can only wonder at where the ideas come from. A brothel in wartime London, seems simple but I would never have thought of the story the author was able to sculpt around this and he did it very well.

It's a complex story and, like his other novels, leaves you pondering what you've read for quite some time afterwards.

Well done Mr Stolworthy, you are emerging as a very credible and capable author.

Can't wait for the next one......

Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Meal (1.2kg (2.6lbs))
Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Meal (1.2kg (2.6lbs))
Offered by Nature's Remedies

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with Nutrition, 21 Jun 2014
I read all the reviews on this and on similar products before buying it. This is packed with nutrition and easy to mix. It says 16oz of water, my advice would be to add about a third of the water into your shaker, add the two scoops and then add the remainder of the water and then shake furiously.

It's not the nicest tasting but it doesn't make you gag either. Just tell yourself it's good and swallow it quickly, you soon get used to the taste.

A week later do I feel any different? Well, actually I do. I took this to help me recover from an illness, believing that good solid nutrition in liquid form would be beneficial. This seemed to pack a lot of good things into it without any of the junk. Importantly for me, there was no added sugar. I've ordered another two tubs of it and I'm going to keep taking it as a quick and easy meal replacement for good health.

Jacobite Book Two (The Jacobite series 2)
Jacobite Book Two (The Jacobite series 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost as if I was there, 21 Jun 2014
You really need to read the first book to get the most out of this one. The first book was excellent and the second one drew it to it's bloody conclusion.

Well researched and written, taking you through the days before the battle and then afterwards. This is more than a story about the Battle, it takes you on a journey through the highlands, the clan system, how people lived, worked and died. It's gritty in parts and humorous in others and if you close your eyes, you can almost imagine you were there. It is an absorbing book.

I would recommend it (but read book one first)

Red Notice: (Tom Buckingham Book 1)
Red Notice: (Tom Buckingham Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rollercoaster of Action, 21 Jun 2014
This was fast paced and gritty, well written and a totally believable plot. Excellent technical knowledge and a well crafted story.

Definitely recommended

Bertie's Guide to Life and Mothers (44 Scotland Street Book 9)
Bertie's Guide to Life and Mothers (44 Scotland Street Book 9)

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too Expensive for a digital copy, 30 May 2014
This isn't the first time I've decided to mark one of the Scotland Street series as a one star, which I feel terrible doing.

Firstly, I have a problem paying £8.49 for the ebook so I didn't, I got it from my local library for nothing. How can the e book be more expensive than the paperback? How can the publisher justify this? It's a blatant rip-off.

Secondly, because I was forced to get the book from the library, I had to adjust to holding and reading a hardback rather than my kindle. What an unwieldy thing to cart around and try and read. It took two hands to wrestle with the thing and even then it was uncomfortable and frequently irritating.

McCall Smith books sometimes have new words I need to look up, no handy dictionary with the hard back. I like to take notes and bookmark pages to refer back to and, guess what? Not allowed to write on the library book or turn the corners down. Trying to read in bed was so bad I gave up and picked the kindle up and read something else instead.

I would have thoroughly enjoyed this book if it were on the kindle but the publisher wishes to make this cost prohibitive. In effect, making me wait months before they try and squeeze more sales by reducing the price. Instead, this forced me to go to a library and borrow a book, the first physical book I've read in years. What a backward step and the reason I can only give one star.

As for the actual story, as always, eloquently written and a joy to read. I did think there was more philosophy than character progression and I would have loved to hear more about Bertie's escapades. So many characters were just briefly mentioned and I wondered what was going to happen with Bruce - and after finishing the book, I'm still wondering.

Keep the 44 Scotland Street stories going, they're an institution now. I've heard the radio version and I look forward to the Fringe Festival production. But please, have a word with the publishers. A digital copy, whizzed over the airways onto my kindle has to be better than cutting down trees, eating up fuel and taking up space. As many other authors are discovering - you can still successfully sell books by cutting out the middleman.

You have my respect Mr McCall Smith and I apologise if my review is disappointing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2014 1:42 PM BST

SPEC TABS - Eye Glasses NON SLIP Holders - Grip Spectacles Sunglasses Holders x 6
Offered by Medipaq® from Great Ideas™

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints at all - I'm chuffed to bits, 30 April 2014
Arrived today and put them on my varifocals and reading glasses and they're brilliant. Something so simple yet effective. You would think opticians would have addressed the issue of slipping glasses - but they haven't. Why should my £240 varifocals slip at all? Why can't I get something like this from my optician? I've used hair scrunches and elastic bands and was actually looking at heat shrink I had seen on you tube when I stumbled on this simple solution.

These slip on very easily and are made of soft material. Make sure they are slipped on carefully, the wee hole will accommodate the spectacle legs with no bother and slip to about a third of the way along the curved bit of the leg and give it a final adjustment to behind the ears. You need to be careful when taking the glasses off and lift them up over the ears rather than sliding them off. They are small, tucked away behind the ears and if you still have hair, you're hair will cover them. I don't have hair and I'm not bothered if anyone notices them at all, they solve an irritating problem for me.

Chuffed to bits with them.

Gallowglass (Douglas Brodie 4)
Gallowglass (Douglas Brodie 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 April 2014
For anyone who has read the Brodie books in order, the fourth and last is not going to disappoint. Brilliantly written and entertaining throughout.

Blackstone and the Great War (Inspector Sam Blackstone Mysteries)
Blackstone and the Great War (Inspector Sam Blackstone Mysteries)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well researched Fiction, 29 Mar 2014
This is an unusual first world war story as it brings civilian and military personnel together at the front line. Describing in quite authentic detail what it was like at the front line it brings in several complex characters and a plot which is cleverly woven together. The class division between the officers and men is interesting and is a theme throughout the book.

The One Plus One
The One Plus One

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable story, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: The One Plus One (Kindle Edition)
I don't suppose many guys would read this but I saw the author on a TV programme recently and was impressed with the interview and my partner and I both decided to read this book and compare notes afterwards. I have to say it was an enjoyable read, plenty twists and turns, interesting characters and well crafted story. It's good to discuss a book with someone else who's read it.

Summer of the Monkeys
Summer of the Monkeys

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Story, 27 Feb 2014
I came across this in a second hand bookshop and I didn't actually realise when I bought it that it was a children's book.Nonetheless, I found it a refreshingly entertaining read and couldn't put it down.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3