Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for Shell > Reviews

Content by Shell

Shell "Rachelle" (UK)

The Time Traveler's Wife (Vintage Magic)
The Time Traveler's Wife (Vintage Magic)
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual works here!, 31 July 2006
The concept behind this story is unusual but pure genius, I loved jumping across time with Henry and felt that in a lot of ways the slightly disjointed way of writing reflected the way his life also seems disjointed at times.

The book had me by the third chapter (the first 2 felt a bit slow) and from there I didn't put the book down at all until I finished, it wasn't possible!

The end of the book had me in tears of both joy and sadness and I was affected by the story for at least a week afterward.

My only real problem with the story was, as pointed out by several others the crudeness of the text when describing the sexual relationship between the two main characters which I felt was not really needed and a let down in an otherwise wonderfully crafted story.

The Shadow Of The Wind
The Shadow Of The Wind
by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth returning to!, 31 July 2006
This review is from: The Shadow Of The Wind (Paperback)
When I first picked up this book I have to admit to being fairly underwhelmed and after struggling for a while to get 'into' the story I gave up and moved onto something else.

A few weeks later and I had nothing left to read and no 'book budget' so I decided something had to be better than nothing and began reading.

After sifting through that first difficult chapter I became enchanted and engrossed by the story although I wasn't sure about how old Daniel was supposed to be. He seems to be very young at the beginning but then seems also to have a lot of freedom - but that aside, the book was great, the characters enchanting and the magic gripping!

Well worth a look!

March: A Love Story in a Time of War
March: A Love Story in a Time of War
by Geraldine Brooks

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read!!, 31 July 2006
I found this book by accident in a local supermarket and bought the book solely off seeing the front cover! I was unhappy at first to discover that it linked to one of my personal favourites - the classic 'Little Women' as spin offs tend to be money making let downs, in my opinion.

However this was different, the link was underplayed and sensitive to what may have truly happened and the subject of the American Civil War combined with the personal battles of Mr.March between his conscience and his greed were excellent.

I very much enjoyed the read and this book has been given a place on my bookcase - a place I reserve solely for the books I feel could be future classics!