Profile for David Clarkson > Reviews

Hurt (DS Lucy Black)
Hurt (DS Lucy Black)
by Brian McGilloway

5.0 out of 5 stars Second outing for Lucy Black does not disappoint, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hurt (DS Lucy Black) (Paperback)
I have always enjoyed Brian McGilloway's Devlin novels, and wondered how I would take to his new protagonist. I needn't have worried! She is a really compelling and intriguing character and this - the second in the series - is possibly even better than the first. A really good novel with a good storyline - definitely recommended to fans of BM's writing.

Songs From The Road (CD + DVD)
Songs From The Road (CD + DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Joanne on top form!!, 1 Jan 2014
I've been a big fan of Joanne Shaw Taylor since I first saw her almost 17 years ago, and have all her CDs. Its been a long-time coming this live album, but well worth the wait. Its fantastic, and shows off her effortless talent as a guitarist, not to mention her great voice and excellent set of songs. Top notch blues! A must for her fans! If you haven't heard her before, where have you been? Do yourself a favour and buy this CD - its worth every penny!

She
She
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing voice!, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: She (Audio CD)
I first saw Alice Smith when she appeared with Doyle Bramhall 11 on Eric Clapton's 2013 Crossroads Guitar Festival, and that's what prompted my interest in this CD. There are many great songs on this CD - and they show off a gifted singer, with an amazing voice. The CD is perhaps less blues than I usually go for, but definitely worth a listen.

Thunder In The Sky
Thunder In The Sky

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new British blues talent, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Thunder In The Sky (Audio CD)
Only just heard about Laurence when he signed for Ruf Records so I though I'd take a chance on this CD. I was not disappointed! He is very talented, and reminds me of Oli Brown in some respects - writes most of his own material, has a mature blues voice, and plays great guitar. Definitely one for the future - but also now!

When The Devil Drives
When The Devil Drives
by Christopher Brookmyre

5.0 out of 5 stars Jasmine rides again!, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: When The Devil Drives (Paperback)
Loved this book, having enjoyed the previous outing for Jasmine - the unlikely PI! Chris Brookmyre is a great writer and I've enjoyed all his previous books, but I think this one is my favourite....he's a good storyteller, and keeps you guessing throughout. A great read if you enjoy crime novels, interesting characters, and a twisty storyline.

Cold Killing (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 1) (Di Sean Corrigan 1)
Cold Killing (DI Sean Corrigan, Book 1) (Di Sean Corrigan 1)
by Luke Delaney

5.0 out of 5 stars Great characters, great story., 21 Oct 2013
I enjoyed the first book in this series and I'm looking forward to the next book now. Its well-written, grabs and keeps your interest, and leaves you wanting to know more about the main protagonist.

Roman Chester: Fortress at the Edge of the World
Roman Chester: Fortress at the Edge of the World
by David J. P. Mason

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really what I expected, 21 Oct 2013
I was keen to learn more about the history of life in Roman Chester and the development of Chester through this period so that I could make more of my visits to Chester. Whilst I imagine this book may appeal to students/academics, for me the vast amounts of facts, figures, measurements, etc, etc, meant that I was skim-reading large tranches of text. As I said in my heading - not what I expected, so a disappointment to me.

Black Wind Howlin'
Black Wind Howlin'

5.0 out of 5 stars Great second album!, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Black Wind Howlin' (Audio CD)
Having bought Samantha Fish's previous album on Ruf records I didn't hesitate to order her second. Was I disappointed - no! No second album syndrome with this offering - a blues record with lots going on. I love it!

Rock Goes to College [DVD]
Rock Goes to College [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rory Gallagher
Offered by Oakfield35

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have DVD for all Rory fans!, 15 Feb 2013
This review is from: Rock Goes to College [DVD] (DVD)
Fantastic gig showing Rory at his best - improvising, yet doing justice to some of his classic songs. Great guitar work from the maestro!!!

The Beat Club Sessions
The Beat Club Sessions

5.0 out of 5 stars Rory at his best!!!!, 13 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Beat Club Sessions (Audio CD)
The late lamented Rory Gallagher will always be my guitar/blues/rock/musical hero, and this CD shows him at his very best just after he released the eponymous album in 1971. He plays some very well known tracks with his own inimitable virtuosity, and every track is memorable. This CD is a "must" for all Rory fans, and for those who are just keen to know why he was the very best!