Profile for Mac MacLaren > Reviews

Content by Mac MacLaren

Mac MacLaren "Lemonrock Editor" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as before, 29 July 2015
These are not as good as my previous set of Sennheisers - they seem to pick up mechanical noise very easily (like if you touch the wires). Also I don't think the noise isolation is as good as the previous model, which cost the same. The bass is a bit stronger, but overall, a downward move.

Set of 2 PestBye Battery Operated Cat Repellers
Set of 2 PestBye Battery Operated Cat Repellers
Offered by Primrose

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant idea, 29 July 2015
Absolutely amazing. No cats equals no cat poo in my garden equals happiness. Now effective for 5 months.

QVS Shop 200 Weed Control Fabric Fixing Pegs 6" Mulch Mat Ground Landscape Cover Pins
Offered by trade-mart

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, did the job with a few rejects, 29 July 2015
Quite a few of these nails snapped as I tried to hammer them into the ground. That is probably normal for this type of plastic, I don't think metal nails would have done this.

Un Jour Un Enfant
Un Jour Un Enfant

1.0 out of 5 stars A bit uninspiring, 28 July 2015
This review is from: Un Jour Un Enfant (Audio CD)
I was hoping to find some more jewels like the incredibly moving "Un jour, un enfant" on this CD, but, although there are some nice songs (like an interesting French version of "Windmills of your Mind", mainly sung competently and with feeling, there's nothing of great note here for me. Indeed, I found the album rather wearing at times. C'est la vie, hien?

Festival/Get on Board
Festival/Get on Board

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 28 July 2015
This review is from: Festival/Get on Board (Audio CD)
As another reviewer noted (and I ignored, as I didn't belive them!), this CD is recorded from a scratched vinyl copy of the album - I think that is a very poor offering.

The sound quality, apart from the scratches, is poor too: a very compressed sound compared to any CD. I don't think that applies to the bonus tracks, however.

The packaging, strangely, is of very high quality: printing and jewel case are impressive. There's not much information about the songs, which is a pity.

When I owned the original Teach-In album on vinyl, I thought the tracks were different to the ones here. Also, out of the 3 versions of "Ding a Dong", the big hit that followed the song's success as winner of the Eurovision Sing Contast 1975, none of the versions were the same as the UK single version - to get that, you will need to buy the compilation CD "Eurovision Song Contest 1956 - 1999", where the original is arguably better than any of the 3 versions here, in terms of audio quality and mix.

The other disappointment is more subjective: as a teenager, I had thought that Taech-In's songs were bright, melodic and interesting. Listening to this CD made me think how childish and unimaginative some of the lyrics were, and how poorly played and arranged some of the songs were.

Oh, well. Teach-In had their glory days in the 70s, and I remember enjoying the songs back then. A mixture of ageing (mine) and poor quality production on the record company's part, has made me realise that we are sometimes a liitle bit too romantic about the past.

Logitech M185 Wireless Mouse - Blue
Logitech M185 Wireless Mouse - Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars I've had better, 17 Feb. 2015
An ok mouse, a bit on the small side and not as comfortable as my last (larger) Logitech mouse. Good radio range, and a breeze to install.

Dual Layer Pop Filter - The worlds great pop Filter
Dual Layer Pop Filter - The worlds great pop Filter
Offered by Inta-Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 17 Feb. 2015
Perfect for the job, sturdy and effective.

Blended
Blended
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Strange brew, 17 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Blended (Amazon Instant Video)
This movie seemed rather slow and disjointed to me, without much of a point. Sandler and Barrymore are great actors but the plot was beneath them.

HITO™ High Quality 12 Inches Silent Non-ticking Wood Frame Wall Clock w/ Front Glass Cover
Offered by cerl-tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, 17 Feb. 2015
Slightly bigger than I expected, so do check the dimensions! Absolutely silent, with a super-clear face and hands. Face is very reflective - not all clocks are, so check your light sources for potential visibilty issues.

HITO™ 3.9" Smart, Simple and Silent LCD Alarm Clock- Repeating Snooze and Green Sensor light + Blue Night Light (Black)
Offered by cerl-tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle, 17 Feb. 2015
Good product, easy to use. The standby brightness is very low - may not be suitable for lit rooms, for example a living room or kitchen.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4