ARRAY(0xaaff9d5c)

Profile for R. Newton > Reviews

Content by R. Newton

R. Newton (Llangollen)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Feeling of Risk: New Perspectives on Risk Perception (Earthscan Risk in Society)
by Paul Slovic
Price: 30.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 29 Mar 2014
Enjoyed the book. Has the last 20 years of research summarized in the one book. Slovic is really great at explaining the human part of risk perception

Theory and Case Study Research (Current Issues in Qualitative Research)
Theory and Case Study Research (Current Issues in Qualitative Research)
Price: 0.84

3.0 out of 5 stars short and sweet and useful in a way, 27 Feb 2014
Enough information for me to decide not to undertake a case study in my current research but not enough information to help me undertake a case study if I had wanted to do one.
Good value as a kindle book.

The Failure of Risk Management: Why it's Broken and How to Fix it
The Failure of Risk Management: Why it's Broken and How to Fix it
by Douglas W. Hubbard
Price: 22.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, convincing arguments and easy to read, 1 Feb 2014
An excellent book which follows on from How to Measure Anything. It has convincing arguments for use of numbers and calibrating people.

How to Write a Literature Review
How to Write a Literature Review
Price: 1.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes writing a literature review easy, 1 Feb 2014
I wish I had bought it 6 months back. It is written for people who do not have English as their first language which makes it an easy read and very relevant with all spare words stripped back to just the necessary ones.

Finger Pulse Oximeter With LED Display (Includes Carrycase, Batteries and Lanyard)
Offered by Ana Wiz Ltd
Price: 59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great just what I needed for first aiders, 1 Feb 2014
It takes the guess work out of giving oxygen during a first aid event. It is easy to use. Comes with its own gel case and lanyard and carry case. Everything I wanted and more than I expected. Well worth the money

Risk-Led Safety: Evidence-driven Management
Risk-Led Safety: Evidence-driven Management
by Duncan Spencer

4.0 out of 5 stars Could do with some more detailed examples to fully explain the theory, 25 Dec 2013
An enjoyable easy read that applies a lot of un-common common sense to management. It does not take long to read and is only 148 pages.
If you have loads of risk assessments and need to sort them out then this is the book for you. It could drastically reduce your workload once you have undertaken the risk assessments based on evidence rather than rather poor best guesses of experts.
It will help you recalibrate yourself whether you thought you needed it or not!
The risk register will help prioritise workload.
A worthwhile book.

Change Your Words, Change Your World
Change Your Words, Change Your World
Price: 1.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Even reading it makes me feel happy!, 25 Dec 2013
I am going to change the way I deliver training after reading this book to see whether positive reinforcement works better than the fear of explosion and death.
If nothing else it will make people feel more positive that they can make the changes that I am asking them to make.
I bought it today and have not put it down as it is a good read.
It would have been better if it had more references to the work of others so that I could feel that it had a basis in experiment and science but it does seem to be based on Trust with a capital T.

Surveyors Distance Measuring Wheel in New smart carry bag
Surveyors Distance Measuring Wheel in New smart carry bag

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke in 3 minutes. Absolutely useless, 22 Dec 2013
It is poor and not designed for measuring. It failed within three minutes of getting it out of the box. I would not buy one of these again

Kingfell Guide KF913 - Second edition: Fire risk assessments for complex buildings (Kingfell Guides)
by Mr Paul Bryant
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Some of it was helpful but references were poor, 22 Dec 2013
I liked the clear easy way that it was written. It was easy to follow and I read it in an evening. I think it could have said more about complex buildings with more examples, but it was clear enough.
The references were very poor and did not even mentioned the HSE web site, building regs or CDM for the UK. If you wanted to check out what had been said in the book the references were not there and so it gave me the feeling that I was relying on someone's experience. I like to know that the experience is backed up with evidence and I did not get that confirmation.
Having said that I did agree with all that I had read. It was just a bit lightweight for complex buildings and was more of a good checklist for if you already knew all about it and wanted to check that nothing had been missed. As a checklist it was very helpful.

Dissertation Writing in Practice: Turning Ideas into Text
Dissertation Writing in Practice: Turning Ideas into Text
by Linda Cooley
Price: 13.43

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my favourite book on research, 16 Dec 2013
I refer to this book weekly. It makes my work sound interesting, even to my husband! If you buy only one book to help with writing up your research then this is the one

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6