Profile for Eva Schwanenflugel > Reviews

Content by Eva Schwanenflugel

Eva Schwanenflugel (Denmark)

Page: 1 | 2
The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
by Patrick Rothfuss

5.0 out of 5 stars A terribly WONDERFUL read, 26 May 2014
First of all, I couldnt wait to get my hands on the follower to the first book in the chronicles, "The Name of the Wind". I flew into a rage when the mailman failed to deliver "Wise Mans Fear" at the date stipulated, and wrote an angry note to my local post office. BECAUSE: These books are the BEST since J.R.R.Tolkiens "Lord of the Ring" trilogy, and G.R.R.Martins "A Song of Ice and Fire" chronicles, (or as the HBO TV-series is called, "Game of Thrones".)
Some reviews have even compared the "Kingkiller Chronicles" to Harry Potter, because our main character, Kvothe, for a while attends a University where - supposedly - all knowledge is being kept. Im against spoilers, so I wont divulge plot- turns. Suffice to say, Harry Potter does have some things in common with Kvothe as a character. But very little when it comes to the actual environment, the magic - and the enemies. Because there are enemies, and they are BAD, very, very bad. They are even worse, because they have passed into legend,into nursery songs, and forgotten as real. Nobody believes they exist... Except our Kvothe. He meets them, to his utter detriment, and suffers horribly for years after. His goal is to find these monsters and to destroy them, a goal thwarted by the complete lack of information available.
Now, this is the drive. But there is so much more...
There is the details of the real life in this world we get to know, so close we wonder if we are actually a part of it. Every description is rare, every landscape new and wondrous, every song brings us further on; into magic - but also daily life, and the need to survive with only your wits at your disposal. Kvothe seems on the brink of destruction at all times, and there are some very fulfilling stories about how fools make asses of themselves, with the help of Kvothe!
We travel all over the detailed map, and at times Kvothes life is in such peril that we really grit our teeth and wring our heads to help him survive the impossible. He is a trouper, a singer, a magician, and proud. He is also compassionate, fair and trustworthy. Except when he is telling tall tales about himself, or hustling stupid aristocrats, that is... Kvothe is everything we dream about being. But Kvothe pays a price for his genius, always... Especially in love.
I cannot recommend these books strongly enough. They are so rich in detail, and feel so true. Kvothe will live with you, I promise.

Inheritance: Book Four (The Inheritance cycle)
Inheritance: Book Four (The Inheritance cycle)
by Christopher Paolini

5.0 out of 5 stars The cycle at its close - and new beginning, 30 Mar 2014
The "Inheritance Cycle" (4 books in all,) is an extremely fulfulling fantasy on all counts ; the individual characters, the landscape/map, the various races and their cultures, etc. We have large battlescenes, but also longed for discovery within the land. And within our favorite persons. No mistake, this is a "getting of age" tale for all involved, especially for Eragon and his beloved dragon Saphira of course, but also Arya, the elf woman who was responsible for bringing Saphiras egg to Eragon in the first place, as well as the leader of the Varden, Nasuada, and Eragons cousin Roran.
In book 4, "Inheritance", Christopher Paolini really surprises with his tale-spinners ability.
Eragon is, as those of you who have followed him know, not quite unsimilar to the character of Frodo Baggins in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy by Tolkien. He means well, but is often engulfed with remorse when he fails to accomplish what he deems right.
This quality, (or as some might think, lack of it), brings Eragon to doubt a lot of decisions he is making. This ethical element inside him is further hightened through a long stay in the elvish forest-capital of Du Weldenvarden where he is being trained during book 3.
In the final book, all must come to a conclusion; either the Varden will persist and conquor, or all AlagaŽsia will fall to ruin under the evil dragonslayer and self-proclaimed King Galbatorix and his mighty spells.

We are finally told a great secret which leads Eragon to discover the truth about how to eventually defeat Galbatorix. However, their strenghts still arent matched equally, and Eragon must further improve his mental and physical training to be up for anything like a challenge. After all, his brother Murtagh and dragon Thorn has been forced to swear allegience to the King, and though unwilling to really hurt Eragon, has not hesitated to kill others around him.
So that this review remains spoiler-proff, I will only add that Roran and Nasuada will get plenty of narration.

I will just add that I was awed by the final book. As much as I had tried in the previous 3, I was not able to fathom the secrets and events in the final one. You have great read ahead :-)

Game of Thrones A-Z
Game of Thrones A-Z
by Martin Howden

3.0 out of 5 stars A Movie Buff, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Game of Thrones A-Z (Paperback)
I liked it, but there were obvious errors all along. However, this book was entertaining, and I do not regret buying it.

Beyond the Wall
Beyond the Wall
by James Lowder

5.0 out of 5 stars A new vision on ages old, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Beyond the Wall (Paperback)
This book is an absolute favorite. The essays within are splendidly written and argued, even if you do not agree with the conclusions. I have just re-read the five books of "A Song of Ice and Fire", and like the clicking of secret stones, I made a lot of character connections based on this reading. A very good guide indeed.

Game of Thrones and Philosophy: Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords (The Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture Series)
by Henry Jacoby

5.0 out of 5 stars Questions within questions, 8 July 2013
I will read this book again, that is certain. This book makes one THINK, it makes one QUESTION. Not only the morality and social standards of Westeros, but the same of our own standards, in the so-called real World.
Questions like; how must a Prince rule most effectively, but also morally? Why are magic (or the belief in such), important in any World? What is Destiny? Do we have a free will, and what does that mean when we also have religion? All the answers are out there - or inside ourselves. But riddles have always fascinated us. So it is with "A Song of Ice and Fire".

Winning the Game of Thrones: The Host of Characters and their Agendas
Winning the Game of Thrones: The Host of Characters and their Agendas
by Valerie Estelle Frankel

5.0 out of 5 stars Theoretecly exciting, 8 July 2013
In many ways a very captivating exploration into the characters of "A Song of Ice and Fire". I admit, I read the whole book in one bite !! I like the theories, ecpecially the one about Jon Snows parentage. I had thought before that something was amiss there, with Lord Eddard Starks silence on the matter, but this theory makes very much sense, and promises the outcome of the Game of Thrones much more believable and magic. IF the theory is correct, that is... One never knows with George Martin as the true mummer.
There is much and more in the book, all of it good, making you wishing for more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2013 10:55 PM BST

Cell
Cell

5.0 out of 5 stars A really weird idea, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Cell (Paperback)
What if.. What if the cells made zombies? I think its an idea we all could gather round on... After!!

The Dark Knight Trilogy (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
The Dark Knight Trilogy (DVD + UV Copy) [2012]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale

5.0 out of 5 stars Batman become historic, 13 Feb 2013
A VERY great trilogy, based on Bruce Wayne's childhood, devastated when his parents were murdered. Enhanced by his fear of bats, his torment.

Full Dark, No Stars
Full Dark, No Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars A lonely man on a road, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Full Dark, No Stars (Paperback)
I dont know how, but Steven King gets how it is to be lonely, left out, murderous. And the people he describes are us. WHAT IF, he says, and you know, what if is true!!

The Eyes of the Dragon
The Eyes of the Dragon

3.0 out of 5 stars Might be better writing, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Eyes of the Dragon (Paperback)
Of course, this book is connected with the Gunslinger and the Dark Tower. One of the tales of MidWorld.
Flagg is the sorceror, the evil who permeats the human race when they arent aware.
King is the one. on the top of the tower.

Page: 1 | 2