Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now
Profile for C. J. Hicks > Reviews

Content by C. J. Hicks

C. J. Hicks "chris_in_chelmsford" (Essex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Consummation: Exclusive Author's Cut (bundle) (Sins of Lethe Book 1)
A Consummation: Exclusive Author's Cut (bundle) (Sins of Lethe Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing but sexy - a unique series, 6 Jun. 2015
Very dark, very sexy, and definitely disturbing, but this series has a strong and involving storyline. Arden Aoide has an unusual style, her characters are believable within their context, and the reader cares about them. Compelling reading.
P.S. Is there a rule that men are not supposed to read these books? If so, men are missing out!

Magnificent Devices: Books 1-4 Quartet: Four steampunk adventure novels in one set (Magnificent Devices Boxset)

4.0 out of 5 stars but they were not enough to spoil the enjoyment. I am looking forward to reading the Lady ..., 21 April 2015
This steampunk set kept me reading, it's fast paced and engrossing. There are some minor inaccuracies in the Victorian London period setting, but they were not enough to spoil the enjoyment. I am looking forward to reading the Lady of Devices' future adventures.

The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library series Book 1)
The Invisible Library (The Invisible Library series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book combined some of my favourite things (in particular books, 21 April 2015
This book combined some of my favourite things (in particular books, libraries and steampunk) into an engrossing read with plenty of twists and surprises. It conveyed the feel of the alternate world well, and whilst it ended with the core storyline satisfactorily resolved, it left me impatient for a sequel. I'm very much looking forward to the next book.

8 Shot Caps - 25 rings per card [Toy]
8 Shot Caps - 25 rings per card [Toy]
Offered by VISTA ENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Feb. 2015
Fast delivery and they work as they should. Nothing else to say about these really.

Smiffys Authentic Western Wandering Gunman Belt and Holster
Smiffys Authentic Western Wandering Gunman Belt and Holster

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for costume and cosplay, 2 Feb. 2015
Very good for the price, I would have been prepared to pay considerably more. It fits my waist (34) but wouldn't go much larger without some modification. The holster takes my 28cm revolver. The vinyl is a little thin in places so I will be reinforcing it a little at the buckle, but it looks good and is great for my purposes (SteamWestern/cosplay). The vinyl is quite shiny so I will be trying to tone that down and age it a little.

HP Wireless Audio System
HP Wireless Audio System
Offered by Branded and New Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for streaming music from computer to HiFi, 2 Feb. 2015
A great product for streaming music from my PC to my HiFi. It connects first time every time, and I have had no dropouts using it constantly for several days. The software was Win 7 but once it was set for compatibility on Win 8.1 it has behaved perfectly. Great product, neat design, and at a very good price.

Panasonic DMCFX35 Digital Camera - Silver (10.1MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.5'' LCD
Panasonic DMCFX35 Digital Camera - Silver (10.1MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.5'' LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - but noisy pictures, 28 July 2009
I bought this camera mainly because of its size - very easy to fit in a shirt pocket - and its wide-angle capability.
The FX35 has a great, high quality wide angle lens and reasonable zoom. There is not much distortion at either end of the range, the lens really impresses. Build quality is excellent, the case itself is nice and solid, all the controls feel very positive and the hinges on the two flaps seem quite robust. There are a lot of options available through a menu system which is fair but could be more intuitive. Once you're used to it, it's OK though.
The camera takes great, sharp pictures but dark areas suffer from noise even at 100 ISO. The HD video is good (although sound, as you would expect, is pretty average), and therefore I have ended up using it for video more often than I anticipated.
Overall I am satisfied with the purchase but the picture noise is a little disappointing. Nevertheless I have obtained some great photos.

Sony RDR-HXD890 Freeview+ 160GB Hard Disc Drive DVD Recorder - Black
Sony RDR-HXD890 Freeview+ 160GB Hard Disc Drive DVD Recorder - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, 24 Jan. 2009
I've had this for about a month now, and I am still amazed at the quality of picture it produces from DVDs through the HDMI cable with upscaling. The remote is well designed, and there's a lot which can be done with one touch or a very few button presses. I've also recorded from some of my wife's NTSC video tapes and that was easier than I had expected.

Having read others' reviews here I opted to connect the aerial through the analog to the digital aerial inputs, just so that I can use GuidePlus. (That meant I had to wait for the extra aerial cable I'd ordered separately to arrive). Setup was easy. The Recorder found all our Freeview channels first time, and since then has updated when a couple of new ones have appeared. I then waited overnight for GuidePlus to download. Recording broadcast progammes is incredibly easy.

My only small gripe is that it would be nice if Sony provided a short aerial interconnect lead in addition to the normal one.

The manual is long at 167 (roughly A5 size) pages, but that's because it tells you how to do everything in clear steps. Half of it I haven't needed to look at yet. Although this is my first DVD/ Hard Drive recorder I have found it quite easy to follow the instructions. I still have to look some things up, but then I'm of an age when we used to read the manual! I'm sure if I was a bit younger I'd have worked most of it out by trial and error.

Sony 32L4000 - 32" Widescreen HD Ready Bravia LCD TV - With Freeview
Sony 32L4000 - 32" Widescreen HD Ready Bravia LCD TV - With Freeview

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture, OK sound, 17 Oct. 2008
This is our first LCD TV, so I'm no expert. The picture quality from freeview and DVD is fantastic. Setup was virtually automatic, and so far the default picture settings have been fine. I've read some other reviews which state sound is the one weaker area with this set, but it seems OK to me, not amazing but fine. The one thing I don't like is the EPG doesn't have a picture insert.
Very pleased with this purchase.

Logitech Wireless Music System for ipod & MP3 Players
Logitech Wireless Music System for ipod & MP3 Players

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheapest audio streaming, 28 May 2008
After reading other positive reviews here I recently purchased this Logitech System. At around £25 I can't believe how good it is. It's small, neat and effective.

"Setting up" is too complex a word - press one button and it just sets itself up! I mainly use it to stream audio from my PC via the headphone output to my hifi, sometimes from my Sansa MP3 player to the hifi. It's amazing value.

I do get occasional drop-outs, probably due to interference from whatever is going on in nearby flats, but they're very brief (2 or 3 seconds of distortion) and infrequent, though a bit of a surprise when they happen.

There has been no conflict with our wireless network.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3