Profile for Mr. J. M. Ginebra Serrabou > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. M. Gine...

Mr. J. M. Ginebra Serrabou (London)

The World's Most Amazing...Animal Facts [For Kids]
The World's Most Amazing...Animal Facts [For Kids]
by Guy Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars My children loved it, 2 Sept. 2008
Such a simple idea very well executed. My children (9 and 7) loved it and bought the companion book on science facts. I also bought them on Amazon's marketplace and only had to pay delivery.

Bring Ya To The Brink
Bring Ya To The Brink

5.0 out of 5 stars It's nice is to be proven wrong, 2 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Bring Ya To The Brink (Audio CD)
When I first looked at the 5-star rating in the U.S. (after more than 100 people voted on it) and in the UK (with 10+ people all giving it 5 stars) I became slightly suspicious. Was it possible to get such a level of consensus on what seemed to me a past-due-date artist? Or was it simply perhaps the gay community rallying behind one of its favourite heroines? Some sort of a payback. I had to find out...

I've always been a big fan of Cyndi's voice. I've always listed her as one of the top-5 female voices in the business. But as many may agree, I thought that after her first couple of albums like many other artists she had no powder left in her. But it's nice to be proven wrong. This is a great album.

With hints of rap in 'Into the Nightlife' or of Aretha Franklin/Pointer Sisters in 'Give it up' or even of OMD's in 'Echo'. But please do not take this comment in the direction that the album is a pastiche/meltdown of sounds and styles. No. Better to understand it like a description of a wine that has hints of vanilla, berries, and oak, and yet is none of them. It is the particular blend of the ingredients that give the wine its own personality.

It's in some way, an album that stops time. It seems that we are back in 1985 and that nothing else has happened: the wars in Iraq and none of Bush administrations; the internet and the dot com bubble; or even, the housing crisis. It brings the optimism from that era to today's doom and gloom. It's such a needed therapy! For a sample of this you only have to listen to Echo with its Limahl-esque sounds of Never Ending Story or Set Your Heart with its 'Love-Cruise' style trumpets.

If I had to say a negative would be the over use of the 'neon' sound, but even then it would like saying there's too much guitar on Led Zepellin or too much Piano on Billy Joel.

Must songs: Echo, Into the Nightlife, Lay Me Down; Give It Up; Set Your Heart; Rain On Me

Do not be tempted to song-picked this album. There's no point.

Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This!: A Guide to Creating Great Ads (Adweek Magazine Series)
by Luke Sullivan

4.0 out of 5 stars A funny read., 1 Aug. 2008
I think the true value of this book is its entertainment, rather than the educational aspect of the book (which is what the title suggests). We know advertising works in many different ways and this book looks at advertising only through the author's personal lense. This is not to say it's a useless book, as the experience and insights of the author are great and in many cases very funny, but the buyer should not think this is a textbook.
Personally, I think the book brings to life many of the classic "ad world" stereotypes. It reflects a grand era of advertising where TV was the central medium and how creative success was judged (a mindset still prevalent in some agencies today). Not surprisingly, the book peakes in Chapter 5 (it's about TV advertisng), but afterwards its quality of insights and humour diminish rapidly. Most of my colleagues could not finish the book after that.
While some of the principles presented in the book are still relevant today, the book seems to ignore the current state of affairs in the marketing and advertising world.
So, would I recommend it? Yes. Just don't take it too seriously.

The Magic Position
The Magic Position
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but still a diamond on the rough, 28 July 2008
This review is from: The Magic Position (Audio CD)
I don't know how I came across this album, but I must admit that at first I kept it to myself. It was a bit of a guilty pleasure. Beautiful melodies mixed with electronic/casio/nintendo effects and emotionally charged lyrics of an adolescent in search of meaning: not quite what's on my musical shopping list.

In fact I reluctantly shared it with someone who I share music with, expecting a "what-the-heck-is-with-you-this-time", but fortunately got a reply along the lines of "interesting-stuff-you-put-up-there-this time". Phew!

The melodies and arrangements do sound like a gifted teenager: somewhat infantile and not very refined, yet adult and thoughtful. It sounds at times innocent and vulnerable, while it also shows he's been out and about quite a bit for his age. It's definitely hard to figure it out. Even to this day, sometimes I listen to it and think it's brilliant, and sometimes think it all sounds too exaggerated and crass.

Funnily I don't think I'm the only one that does not understand him. Some months ago I saw a picture in one of the London's free daily newspapers that showed Patrick's eclectic sense of style with the caption: "Patrick Wolf, a violinist". What? That's the last word I would use to describe him, yet he is indeed a violinist.

But more and more I'm inclined to think he's got absolute brilliance. When in doubt I listen to songs such as Overture, Augustine, Bluebells, Magpie, Get Lost, Enchanted, and The Stars which speak loads of his musical ability (strangely the ones I liked the least are the title song and the album's first single). It leaves way behind albums with wider critical acclaim like Antony And The Johnsons. My 5-star rating is both deserved and to encourage, a true musician such as him, to continue his journey of musical exploration.

Having said that, I still think he is a diamond in the rough. For instance, I think he needs to use a female voice more often. This will allow him to experiment musically. Perhaps in the same way he currently experiments with other sound making devices. In Get Lost you can hear a hint of where this could take him. This will allow him to use a wider range of notes and it will complement his natural `low' voice.

Also not sure if it was my version or the recording, but definitely it sounded at times rough, noisy, clanky, plus some of the special effects sounded annoying and out of place at times. There are too some odd moments in some songs which are distracting and actually detract from the song (like the "is it?" in Augustine).

From what I gather he is quite adamant to stick to his musical ideas (and I don't want to change that), but if he's able to listen to advice and surrounds himself with the right people he will certainly let the diamond be seen more consistently and by many more people. I can certainly see it. Way to go.

The Age of the Understatement
The Age of the Understatement

5.0 out of 5 stars Positively Surprising, 2 May 2008
I must admit I did not see this coming. I thought it was going to be seriously bad given that: 1) it's a 'side' project; 2) it would be a monkeys-type of sound, but without the monkeys; 3) music collaborations always turn to be rubbish. Then I read in a review "epic tunes" and I thought "OMG they are becoming like EMBRACE". Very confusing. One way or another I had serious doubts of buying it.
But then I decided to listen the full album through those 30 secs "pre-views" and I could notice the album was indeed different. So I gave it a try and I must say that I'm very positively surprised. Several listens already and loving it even more.
This is indeed what a "side project" should be: a bit experimental; out of the comfort zone; but most of all keeping the quality up.
This album proves wrong critics that thought the monkeys were great lyricist, but traped in a single melody. I could compare this album to Picasso's Blue period. It's not his signature period, but it provides an insightful view of his persona. It is still himself, but naked. Not buried under the mandatory traits of his own success of later time. It is also a period that shows his great command of the basic painting techniques, which will become the foundation of his more recognized work.
In the same way, this is a stripped Turner/Kane version: there is plenty of clues of who its makers are, but presents them stripped to the bones, and without the distraction of their other personas. A great achievement.

Gospel Bombs
Gospel Bombs
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the highlights of the year, 1 May 2008
This review is from: Gospel Bombs (Audio CD)
This is such an excellent album. I can't understand a reviewer who gave it 3 stars. It's got a fantastic rythm, great voice, and the happiness of latin beats and trumpets. A great combo. It's like Arctic Monkeys and The Kooks should have sound.
On My Own, Beast, Blue Boy, End of the Night, Pretty Girl, I'm Alive are all excellent tracks.
Only criticism is that despite having been able to create its own 'band sound' it does sound repetitive at times, but from my pov less so than the Monkeys!

Keyspan Usb Parallel Printer Adapter Pc
Keyspan Usb Parallel Printer Adapter Pc

5.0 out of 5 stars It does works with Macs, 8 May 2006
it's hard sometimes to know whether things will work, so I decided to write in case you have the same question. I have an iMac and an Epson 440C that I used to plug to a PC. It worked woderfully.

Fijacion Oral Vol.1 [CD + DVD]
Fijacion Oral Vol.1 [CD + DVD]
Offered by westworld-

2.0 out of 5 stars Skip it, 13 April 2006
I've followed Shakira for a long time. From her initial teen "rocker" songs to her americanized latin-rocker turned hottie Pepsi spokesperson. Well, I have to admit her latest iteration was better than this album. It does not bring anything to the genre and does not bring anything from the original shakira. Skip it if you can.

Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism
Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism
by Kimberly Hahn

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful and inspiring reading., 21 Feb. 2006
Conversion seems to be as much about a change in intellectual convictions as a change in life convictions. This book captures the couple's journey through both. It shows us that even with a clear intellectual conviction, it is the perfectly acceptable "small" things in life such as our family, our partner, our friends what makes conversion very hard. Like wolves in sheep's clothing.
While the book is interesting for non-catholics, it is a must-read for catholics that need to revamp their religious life. It reminds us that conversion should happen everyday and if we are not fighting, we are going backwards.
A delightful and inspiring reading.

Bajo El Signo De Cain
Bajo El Signo De Cain
Offered by Bargaindiscsltd

5.0 out of 5 stars BOSE: A Successful Chameleon, 22 May 2004
This review is from: Bajo El Signo De Cain (Audio CD)
Bose is without a doubt one of those chameleon type of artists that you're not quite sure if they are trend setters or simply incredible visionaries that understand early in the cycle the mood of society. Whatever it is, Bose is certainly an artists that always evolves with the risks and rewards that that brings to his music. This album is without a doubt one of the winners. By no means this is a random result as Bose surrounded himself with very seasoned musicians and producers.
This is an album of eclectic sounds and subtle mellow texture. An album on which your favorite songs tends to shift over time depending on your own discovery. With musical depth and great aftertaste. Of great longevity and universal reach.
It doesn't matter if you know Bose already or not, this CD is of outstanding quality and broad appeal.