Profile for gwj270967 > Reviews

"gwj270967"

How to Transform Your Company and Enjoy It
How to Transform Your Company and Enjoy It
by Ken Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't lend this to anybody you will never see it again., 29 Mar. 2006
Prior to attending a businss workshop where Sir Ken was the guest speaker, I must be honest and say that I had never heard of him or Dutton engineering, and was not particulally looking forward to the evenings events.
I listened to his presentation and have to say that I was blown away, I was listening to what I thought was a dinasaur with modern Ideas and it really inspired me.
I bought the book hoping that it would be as entertaining as his presentation, and was not disappointed.
The only problem was that a colleague borrowed the book and never returned it, I started a management course at college and bought the book again to show some of the students, the lecturer borrowed it and yet again I never got it back.
I have recently started a diploma course and this copy I have recently purchased will not be leaving my sight.
Use the book as an aide memoire to sound busines management or as an idea maker to get you thinking outside of the box and you will not be dissapointed.
The book covers the basic princiles that Sir Ken implemented when he took over the running of Dutton engineering, and how he transformed the fortunes of a company near liquidation to a class leader, also winning numerous enterprise awards.
The book covers various aspects of managing change and also understanding of motivational issues, the basis of the book is Kaisen (continuous improvement) principles togerer with motivation and most importantly waste management to give a thouroughly insparational read.

The Dinosaur Hunters: A True Story of Scientific Rivalry and the Discovery of the Prehistoric World
by Deborah Cadbury

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating,excellently written and enjoyable read., 10 Feb. 2002
I very rarely get to the end of a book and feel dissapointed that I had finished it, usually I am exited about my next read, but finishing this book has left me feeling as though I have said goodbye to some very good friends, still I can always read the book again. Deborah Cadbury writes this book in a very enjoyable way, explaining the progress made by early geologists in their passion of discovery, the ruthelessness of explorers and how unkind 19th century society could be with their class divisions, she also shows how these discoverys had a massive impact on theology and how answers were needed to show proof of the bible and mans evolution. this book makes for an excellent read and is an essential addition to every home library.

The Floating Brothel: The Extraordinary True Story of an Eighteenth-century Ship and Its Cargo of Female Convicts
by Sian Rees

5.0 out of 5 stars HISTORY MADE INTERESTING, 4 Aug. 2001
I WAS NEVER INTERESTED IN HISTORY AT SCHOOL AND AS A RESULT NEVER EVEN TRIED, MY GCSE TOLD THE SUM INTEREST IN HISTORY HAVING ATTAINED A GRADE E. HOWEVER IF I HAD BEEN INSTRUCTED BY SOMEONE AS ENTERTAINING AS SIAN REES I FLEEL THAT I WOULD HAVE ATTAINED A MUCH BETTER GRADE, THIS BOOK INSTANTLY PUTS YOU INTO LONDON DURING THE 18TH CENTURY, I COULD FEEL FOR THESE POOR WOMEN THROWN OUT OF EMPLOYMENT TO MAKE JOBS FOR RETURNING SOLDIERS, AND AS A RESULT OF DESPARATION TURNING TO THEFT AND PROSTITUTION, THE CONDITIONS THEY WERE LIVING IN WERE APPAULING, SLEEPING IN THE TOILET OR UNDER A BED AND FEARING FOR ALL THEY OWNED, AFFRAID THAT WHEN THEY AWOKE THEIR CLOTHES WOULD HAVE BEEN STOLEN OFF THEM WHILST THEY SLEEP. THE STORY TAKES YOU THROUGH ALL THE SITUATIONS THAT PLACED THESE WOMEN IN GAOL AND THEN AWAITING TRANSPORTATION TO PARTS BEYOND THE SEAS. THE VOYAGE THAT THEY HAD WAS A LENGTHY ONE AND THE ANTICS THAT OCCURED ON THE SAILING SHIP THE LADY JULIAN HAD ME LAUGHING AND SOMETIME ON THE EDGE OF DESPAIR FOR THE HARDSHIP THEY ENDURED. THE BOOK IS A MUST READ AND AN ESSENTIAL PART OF A GOOD LIBRARY, I HAVE NOW STARTED A RELATIONSHIP WITH HISTORY THAT I FEEL WILL LAST A LIFETIME. THIS BOOK IS EXCEPTIONAL VALUE FOR MONEY WHEN YOU C0NSIDER THE AMOUNT OF RESEARCH THAT HAS GONE INTO WRITING IT.
GARETH JONES.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 25, 2015 11:33 AM BST