Profile for Harry Hausen > Reviews

Content by Harry Hausen

Harry Hausen "bjc@bdc" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Watchmen (2-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2009]
Watchmen (2-Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Malin Åkerman

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 4 Aug 2009
For me this is the best film released so far this year by a mile. I loved the graphic novel, and yes there are some amendments and ommissions in the film, but I could see and appreciate why they were made. If you haven't read the book then I can also appreciate how you might not be into this film as much. My one, and very minor gripe was the over use of Slow-Mo in ONE scene near the beginning. Jackie Earle Haley's perfomance as Rorschach is a particular highlight. I find some of the reveiwers 1 star reviews a bit harsh. This is not your typical super hero movie. Yes it is quite long, and it is very geeky and violent, but it is a very worthy adaptation of what is at the end of the day just a 'graphic novel'. Not for everyone, but it wipes the floor with the likes of Transformers 2, Terminator Salvation and GI Joe!

Aliens Omnibus Volume 2: v. 2
Aliens Omnibus Volume 2: v. 2
by Various

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on volume 1, 19 Feb 2008
I felt compelled to write a brief review of this title. I previously read volume 1 of the Aliens Omnibus, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I guess I wasn't expecting too much from it, but it got better the more I got into it. This second volume however was a big disappointment. For the most part the artwork is pretty mediocre, even compared to volume 1's adequate artwork. Secondly, the stories are paper thin and repetitive. I guess there are only so many storylines that you can run with in the Aliens universe. Sadly there are no great characters to latch on to. In the main it's just guys blasting randomly at wave after wave of badly rendered aliens. There are three stories in total. Two short ones and one long one. The first two are quite similar; go to the alien homeworld and see your plans to harvest royal jelly go badly wrong etc, and the third story is an 'epic' sapce marine affair which was the biggest disappoinment of the book. I hope the collection of stories in volume 3 turns out to be more in line with the collection of stories of volume 1.

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars A serious and incredibley entertaining read. Hilarious!, 6 Dec 2007
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
This book is pure entertainment from start to finish. I found it to be inciteful, inspiring and laugh out loud funny. I would best describe myself as a deist (I think!) and it is so refreshing to hear someone, so eloquently, give religion a 'good kicking' that it so deserves.

Don't get me wrong, if you're religious then thats up to you. Everyone has a right to believe in whichever sky fairy that gets their juices flowing, they just need to stop projecting their beliefs on to everyone else.

I can understand the points made by other reviewers about the author's writing style. Yes he is a bit snide and sarcastic in places, but it isn't half done with an air of comedy genius and a touch of class.

If the world could be cured of it's skyfairy delusions, maybe we could move mankind forward instead of using religion as an excuse for carrying out totally unacceptable actions against each other. Supposed religous belief shouldn't be a get out of jail free card for homophobes, racists and extemists the world over.

If you're religous you'll hate this book. You'll find it rude, offensive and it may well make you realise that you could be deluded yourself! Everyone else will enjoy a serious, incitful and yet thoroughly hliarious reading experience.

Conan Volume 1: The Frost Giant's Daughter and Other Stories: Frost Giant's Daughter and Other Stories v. 1 (Conan (Dark Horse))
by Dave Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars First and best so far of the Busiek/Nord Conan series, 12 Nov 2007
I've read the first 4 volumes in this series and this is by far the best one. I found it an absolute joy from start to finish. Great character, great story and glorious artwork. This first volume is based on the original Robert E Howard stories "Nemedian Chronicles" and "The Frost Giant's Daughter". It is a decent size read for a graphic novel and is far superior to the awful/cheesy 70's Conan comics. Fact.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3