Profile for Harry Hausen > Reviews

Content by Harry Hausen

Harry Hausen "bjc@bdc" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Mosquito Story
The Mosquito Story
by Martin W. Bowman

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, 6 May 2012
This review is from: The Mosquito Story (Hardcover)
After previously reading and enjoying the Lancaster Story in the same series, I was looking forward to reading about this incredible aircraft. Sadly I was a bit disappointed. I'm not sure if it's the different author's writing story or what, but it really was less engaging. Some nice photos, but I'm sure there are much better books out there on the subject.

Cinema Sex Sirens
Cinema Sex Sirens
by Lee Pfeiffer

4.0 out of 5 stars You will not be disappointed by this book!, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Cinema Sex Sirens (Hardcover)
If you are even thinking about buying this book stop thinking now and just buy it! I bought it as a Christmas present for my dad and it went down well. Better than that, I also enjoyed it myself before wrapping it. They certainly don't make them like thet used to, with the possible exception of Scarlett Johansson!

World War II (Dk Reference)
World War II (Dk Reference)
by H. P. & Cross, Robin & Messenger, Charles Willmott

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction & overview, and a fascinating read, 6 May 2012
I've always been vaguely fascinated by WW2. Like many people of my generation, my grandfather fought in the war. I've seen countless documentaries and war films on TV but wanted to know more about the big picture. Exactly how war came about, how things started, how it all unfolded and what happened when. Many parts were familiar to me but it was very interesting to see everything as a whole. This is a decent sized book, not massive, but not disappointingly small (like my recent Alien Vault). Its very glossy and has plenty of photographs, diagrams, maps and timelines etc. As a publisher, DK has a reputation for well presented books, but I worried that this book might be a bit heavy on presentation and a bit light on detailed text, but I was pleasantly surprised. I would highly recommend this book. I read my copy from cover to cover completely absorbed. I came away with a much greater understanding of why things are the way they are in the modern world.

Kick-Ass [DVD]
Kick-Ass [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chloe Moretz
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure joy on a disc, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: Kick-Ass [DVD] (DVD)
When I saw this at the cinema, it was one of the most joyous film watching experiences of my 35 years on earth. Quite simply one of the best action comedies ever. The finale is perfect. It might not be suitable of younger viewers, but it is incredible if you like your comedy near the knuckle and your action turned up to 11. Superb.

Official Kelly Brook A3 Calendar 2012
Official Kelly Brook A3 Calendar 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best yet, 28 Nov 2011
It seems that having received Kelly's calendars for quite some years as much appreciated Christmas gifts, that each year alternates between wonderful and disappointing. Well last year was pretty disappointing, but thankflly this year Kelly is back to her best. Gorgeous natural curves. Stunning. I literaaly cannot walk past HMV or Calendar Club shops without popping in for another look!

Norwegian Ninja aka KommandÝr Treholt & ninjatroppen [DVD] [2010]
Norwegian Ninja aka KommandÝr Treholt & ninjatroppen [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Mads Ousdal

1.0 out of 5 stars Even at £2.99 this is a waste of money, 28 Nov 2011
I love all kinds of weird and wonderful films, both foreign and low budget. But this is easily one of the most disappointing, boring, dull films that I have ever seen. As another reviewer noted this is vaguely related to Dead Snow in that it is from the same producers. Whilst Dead Snow was nothing special, it was infinitely more entertaining that this. Low-fi Mighty Boosh style "special effect" are only good if they compliment a good story or decent humour. This has neither. Even worse is that what little action there is, is pathetic. It's not worth £2.99 of anyone's money, nor is it worth the 77 minutes of your life that its takes to watch it.

TERMINATOR - Series 2 - Figure T-800 Police Station Assault
TERMINATOR - Series 2 - Figure T-800 Police Station Assault

4.0 out of 5 stars Lack of articulation the only negative, 16 Nov 2011
This figure is great, and if you only want in the pose pictured then no problem. However, if you want him in any other pose then pretty much forget it. Like another reviewer said the legs are fixed, but more importantly there is a real lack of any meanginful articulation in his arms, especially the left one. I was hoping to be able to pose the figure either with both arms down by his side but raised up at the elbow in a right angle (like in the film), or even better would have been to be able to have one arm bent fully at the elbow so that he could rest one gun on his shoulder whislt aiming the other gun (again, like in the film). Don't get me wrong the figure itself has a great likeness, is sturdy and looks good, just a bit limited for my liking.

Alan Moore's The Courtyard (Color Edition)
Alan Moore's The Courtyard (Color Edition)
by Antony Johnston

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but so very sweet, 11 Oct 2010
Yes this is a short graphic novel, but it is definitely worth it. Although I thought Jacen Burrows artwork was a bit disappinting in the Crossed series, here I really cannot fault it. Anyone with even a passing interest in HP Lovecraft should get a lot of enjoyment out of this story. Most of the references to the Cthulhu mythos are pretty obvious, but this is still a great little read. The last 4 pages or so were so good I had to immediately re-read them! Ignore the overly negative reviews of the self important little dullards, this is good stuff.

Conan Volume 7: Cimmeria (Conan (Dark Horse))
Conan Volume 7: Cimmeria (Conan (Dark Horse))
by Timothy Truman

4.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent!, 25 Mar 2010
After (in my humble opinion) a slighty below par volume 6, volume 7 is magnificent. After Busiek and Nord stopped working on this brilliant Dark Horse series, I was worried that the quality would drop and I would stop following the series. However, it would seem that Timothy Truman et al have found their feet with this volume. Whilst Cary Nord's art will always be my favourite, the artwork here is excellent and much better than the uneven stuff in Hand of Nergal (vol6). Unlike volumes 1-6, this volume is not based on a Robert E Howard Conan chronicle, but based on a Robert E Howard poem about Cimmeria. However, the story is so well done and fits in so wonderfully with the series that it is one my favourite volumes so far. If you have been following this series don't stop now! The story is about Conan taking a break from his travels and returning to his homeland to escape the backstabbing teacherous ways of the "civilised" lands for a while. Needless to say it turns out to be not much of a holiday for Conan!

T-800 Pescadero Escape Figure - Terminator 2 - Neca
T-800 Pescadero Escape Figure - Terminator 2 - Neca

4.0 out of 5 stars Best T-800 Arnie figure yet (until the minigun figure gets released!), 5 Aug 2009
Wow! This has got to be the best T-800 Arnie figure yet. It really does look just like Arnie! It has decent weight for a figure of this size. It doesn't come with a base but doesn't really need one as it stands very stably. The figure's head and upper body has extensive articulation. However, despite all this the figure only really displays well as shown in the picture, in my humble opinion. All in all, very detailed, very accurate and definitely recommended. I remember buying the NECA American Psycho figure and being a bit disappointed. Previously I much preferred McFarlane's Movie Maniac range, but I have to say that if NECA can keep this up then they'll quickly steal Mcfarlane's crown for affordable display figures. Later this month they're releasing the Arnie T-800 with minigun figure from the same range. I think it's called the Cyberdyne Showdown. It's pictured on the back of the packaging and it looks like it will be awesome if this figure is anything to go by.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3