Profile for Horatio Guttersnipe > Reviews

Content by Horatio Gutter...

Horatio Guttersnipe (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
How to See Faeries
How to See Faeries
by Brian Froud
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Faerie lore tells the story of ourselves!, 31 Mar 2011
This review is from: How to See Faeries (Hardcover)
Brian Froud has created a book which takes us into the realm of Faerie and playfully challenges our perceptions and imaginations to go beyond what we think we know about "seeing" our world the little wonders that keep passing us by, if only we'd stop to look. As I turned the pages I saw Faerie lore is also a game in Froud's world and this book encourages us to take part in his game of "How to See Faeries".

The illustrations are sublime and amusing. Froud's gift is in being able to create characters that are beautiful and the ridiculous and have them side by side, he sees our life and interprets all we know into this fantasy landscape, telling the story about who we are, as spiritual beings in essence and a great deal of Froud's work is always trying to remind us of that quality, which we often over look in our natures in the face of modern desires. Faerie lore like our spirituality is ageless and holds the key to our happiness.

Frouds new book is an offering of how to find happiness and how we can get there with Faerie lore, it is all about knowing ourselves and having a love for life.

This is a lovely and entertaining children's book and an ideal gift for a growing imagination!

Doctor Who - A Christmas Carol
Doctor Who - A Christmas Carol
Price: 12.35

5.0 out of 5 stars ... another wonderfully adventurous score, 23 Mar 2011
After reading the 3 star review I felt moved to write a 5 star one, since this is by far one of the most enjoyable Doctor Who scores to date. The Doctors theme is always used to give a swell of inspired hope each time and it never seems to dull my minds imagination because it's sound is gloriously triumphant. As I listened I was drawn back into the story and appreciated the music cues more and yes, some tracks are short but I listened to the album as a whole and it felt seamless. Abigail's song can be heard in it's entirety now and it does have the power to make you imagine she could turn the heavens up side down. I would love to see more complete soundtracks from Doctor Who, maybe this is the start?

The only thing is, doesn't Abigail sing more than once? I was sure she sung a different song to the shark?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2011 9:28 AM GMT

Fraggle Rock Complete First Season [DVD]
Fraggle Rock Complete First Season [DVD]
Offered by Springwood Media
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Our melody come and sing it with me cause you know we belong to the song!, 5 Nov 2010
The impact Jim Henson's work had on generations was phenomenal, we are still talking about it and we still miss his genius. Even though this season is the American version the Fraggle segments are the same and this season is probably my favourite as it expressed the spirit of Fraggle beautifully and that spirit was idealistic and so was Henson, but it is a braver stance to have in life than to see only the negative in our system and the world of Fraggle conveyed a truth about life which I see now as the only brave view to have, love everybody, be truthful, fill your mind with only the beautiful and take charge and make things better for all, Fraggle Rock was a Utopia and a dream we can aspire to and that is why it is so enduring!

There is no chance of the original British version coming to light, out of 96 episodes only the 12 remain and A Musical History of Fraggle Rock shows the original British opening of the light house. It is sad but I think people took advantage of Mr Henson's good will and many things were lost or stolen however his achievement and legacy is immense and who knows maybe they'll find those wonderful British versions one day, till then this version of Fraggle Rock is sublime!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2010 10:28 PM GMT

Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Doctor Who - Series 5, Volume 4 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith
Price: 7.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, inspiring and moving and truly first class television!, 28 Jun 2010
Doctor Who series five has captured my imagination. Matt Smith has created a Doctor Who that has a worldly wise and brave manner that stands in defiance of convention. Smiths physicality as an actor makes the look of the Doctor unique and his sense of dress is individual, intelligent and dare I say it, even sexy. Karen Gillian, is a wonderful actress, she conveys a character we would all want to know and befriend instantly, she again conveys an inspired spark which plays off Matt Smith beautifully and a sense of real affection and admiration does come through their performances together and with the added mix of Alex Kingston, adding a gorgeous flavour that easily rivals Captain Jack any day, in fact I think she has more of something he often boasted to having too much of!!! I am sure we have not seen the last of her.

The whole series has created some very beautiful stories and it is wonderful television for the family and for children to engage with. I think that this series has stayed true to how I remember Doctor Who as a child and in many ways I prefer it to the previous four seasons since the Doctor conveys a humility now and a sense of real joy for being what he is, a lone, mad, gifted individual who is brave enough to stand up for what he knows is right and wholesome and frankly can many say that they do and live by such moral standing? Intelligence is attractive, being brave enough to be who you are is inspiration for your spirit and the Doctor projects a perspective that is enriching and truthful, the writers have done him justice and there is still room to grow. I am irritated to read reviews which keep comparing this series to the last, this is a new Doctor and new characters and I didn't instantly take to the Eccleston's Doctor at first and Tennant was a brilliant Doctor but he conveyed the Doctors conflicting feelings of anger and lose though he was arrogant in a brilliant no nonsense sort of away, these aspects of the character had to be worked through so what we have now is a more rounded Doctor and more joyful, youth is joyful and inspirational and so this series will be a success story and if you buy these DVD's on blue - ray you will be treated to extra footage and stunning visuals and storytelling which leaves you feeling emotionally up lifted. You and your children can't go wrong with the Doctor and his friend Amelia Jessica Pond - such a great name!

Adam [DVD] (2009)
Adam [DVD] (2009)
Dvd ~ Hugh Dancy
Price: 7.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning to stand on your own, 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: Adam [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
The greatest achievement for individuals like Adam is to learn how to live in this world. A lesson we all have to go through but in this story we see a young man who is genuinely different, almost painfully different and we are moved through out the whole film by Adams journey to find a place in life, till he finally knows how to stand on his own.

The story of Adam strikes a cord in us and evokes only happy feelings and thoughts for the finer things in life, largely ones spiritual place in the world and how we can make a difference.
Adams world is still touched by wonder, magic and a childlikeness which has a wisdom most adults can't help but loose. That is the gift for those who have a slightly off centre perception of the world, they are closer to the truth of things and that is the story of Adam, one of growth, the search for acceptance, of love, a place in the world and for those of us lucky enough to know and befriended characters like Adam our lives have only been enriched as we can now see what we hadn't before and we are better people for it as well.

The film makers treated the story of Adam with obvious respect, and this film was not only a romantic film but a reflection of a little known narrative about those who can't help but be different and though that narrative may seem overly cute and simplistic, I can tell you, it is very close to the reality but most don't identify with it because most run the race and then there are those who can't help but run their own race and they are the ones to listen out for, in many ways their story carries a genuinely wonderful and refreshing message which is truly liberating.

This title will come out on BLUE RAY DVD eventually in this country and I for one would prefer it in this format as some of the photography was stunning.

Bright Star
Bright Star

5.0 out of 5 stars the Human Orchestra alone makes this a highly desirable recording, 19 Oct 2009
This review is from: Bright Star (Audio CD)
This is a short soundtrack, it only plays for 23 minutes roughly and yet that only reminds me of the short life of John Keats who died in his mid twenties. The whole soundtrack is beautifully composed, I cannot over state it enough really, the intensity of the music strikes anyone who listens to it, even if only fleetingly and this is not only the beauty of the score but that it is laced with dialogue from the film which makes this soundtrack very moving indeed and makes you think back to your own first love.

This is an ideal recording to give as a gift to your girlfriend or boyfriend, perhaps this soundtrack was put together to be used for that very purpose.

Adam
Adam
Price: 7.54

5.0 out of 5 stars The Planetarium medley is beautiful, 12 July 2009
This review is from: Adam (Audio CD)
The music by Christopher Lennertz is beautiful. He has created a score which tells the story of Adam in such a manner that it strikes a cord in us and evokes only happy feelings and thoughts for the finer things in life, largely ones spiritual place in the world and how we can make a difference.
Lennertz's music suited the film perfectly, it does capture the world of Adam effortlessly, a world which is still touched by wonder, magic and a childlikeness which has a wisdom most adults can't help but loose. That is the gift for those who have a slightly off centre perception of the world, they are closer to the truth of things and that is the story of Adam, one of growth, the search for acceptance, of love, a place in the world and for those of us lucky enough to know and befriended characters like Adam our lives have only been enriched as we can now see what we hadn't before and we are better people for it as well. The film, like this album will inspire you.
The songs have been carefully chosen to resonate the stories themes and they are instantly enjoyable, poetic and unlike other compilations enhance the album.

Bo Burnham
Bo Burnham
Price: 9.29

5.0 out of 5 stars After listening and watching his DVD I think I have fallen in love with him ... but that doesn't mean I am gay, or does it? ..., 19 Jun 2009
This review is from: Bo Burnham (Audio CD)
Saw Bo Burnham on BBC FOUR one night and split my sides with laughter. He is so very talented, dashing debonair, charismatic, cool, hip, aesthetically pleasing that he even put me in mind of a young Tom Lehrer, who became renowned for writing some very naughty and exemplorary songs during a period in American history which would have made him black listed surely, as Lehrer became famous during the McCarthy witch hunts; "I Got it from Agnes" springs to mind and Burnham has a similar quality, a gift for word play and a real sparkle in his eye which leads me to suspect that he has an old head on young shoulders and I think there will be more from him one day, he is not some flash in the pan but a real comic genius. I was happy to see that the DVD includes the home recordings which appeared on YouTube and a whole lot more, which reveal more about his broadening talents.

If you buy this you won't be disappointed, you may listen to it only with your head phones on, as parents may do a double take if they listen to this or you may want to shock them with your taste in music and turn your speakers up loudly, but maybe not too loudly ...!

Secret Garden
Secret Garden
Price: 8.80

5.0 out of 5 stars John Cameron Mitchell will always be Dickon for me, 10 May 2009
This review is from: Secret Garden (Audio CD)
There are two recordings of The Secret Garden, one being the 1991 Original Broadway cast recording and the other is the London cast recording 2001. Both in my opinion are wonderful musical narratives which allow you to imagine the productions. It does not matter if you missed both productions since both recordings have been arranged much like a musical radio play, the Broadway recording having segments of dialogue through out and this has made me wish very much that another production will eventually come to London, as there isn't a great deal to choose from at the moment which doesn't evoke an allergic reaction from myself. Current Westend productions are too sentimental.

The London cast recording of The Secret Garden is grittier and isn't given over to sentimentality and that is my only quibble with regards to the American cast recording, however it doesn't matter because the spirit of the production is strong enough to make you believe whole heatedly in the world of Mary Lennox and in a lot of ways I prefer the characterisations of Dickon and Mary in the American version because they sound more credible, more natural yet in the London production the sound of the old gardener Ben and his expanded version of "it's a maze", is more gratifying to the ear, the London version could convey the old English archetypes more acutely I think because we can culturally summon up an understanding as too how such people came to be but in the American version they sound at times a little artificial because they sound at times too sentimental.

John Cameron Mitchell however is the unsung star of the American cast recording because he brought to Dickon's character a natural magic and a mystical perception which is slightly off centre to the rest of the world yet his strength is totally enlightened and empowered because he knows how to live with nature and this makes Dickon in the American recording something to take much heart from as we all desire a need to be one with nature more ... he is after all more than just a gardener and his absence of ego makes him a refreshing character for the stage.

If you can, buy both versions because they do present a fuller picture for your ears, both have strengths and both have something about them which inspires you to say "why don't they bring back the Secret Garden", because I feel at the moment the Westend is lacking musicals which have substance

Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium [Blu-ray]
Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Natalie Portman
Price: 9.43

5.0 out of 5 stars "the germinating seed of inspiration", 26 Dec 2008
Perception is everything in this world. The story of Mr. Magorium is partly one of the archetypal American legend who inspired a generation to carry on dreaming. It is significant that Kermit makes an appearance in the film as Jim Henson was one such figure who may well, have inspired the films philosophy. Few men of his generation were so influential to the children of the world and these men like Magorium set an example not by what they said so much but by what they did with their lives. Inspiration reverberates for generations and the wisdom which comes from that inspiration will hopefully always lead us towards the lights until ultimately we have a legacy like Magorium's to pass on. This idea of finding faith in past childhood wisdom in order to regain direction in ones life is largely the journey Molly Mahoney must grasp in the film until she understands the strength of her perception and how she can do some good in this world.

This film was an unexpected highlight over the holiday period. My whole family enjoyed it and will be one for the collection when it finally comes out. The cast performances, as you might expect are a class act and the story was very heartening. I strongly recommend this film and I'd say, pay no attention to superficial comparisons to the Wonka movie!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5