Profile for t33ch > Reviews

Neptune's Brood
Neptune's Brood
by Charles Stross

3.0 out of 5 stars But and but, but worth a read anyway., 16 July 2015
This review is from: Neptune's Brood (Paperback)
Not sure if this should be 3 or 4 stars...

A good story and worth a read.
My only gripes (here's but 1) are that some of the economic explanations are repeated which is really irritating, it's like those TV programs where they spend the first 5 minutes after a commercial break reminding you what happened before the 3 minute break in case you have the attention span of a fruit fly.
My other gripe (but 2) is the 'extras' at the end. I thought that I had another 15 pages to go so my mind was racing ahead wondering what the climax would be when I realised that I had just stumbled over the climax. I'm not sure if this is the sole reason that I found the ending slightly underwhelming, but it was (for me).

Overall the concept and characters are interesting and well fleshed out. Though I've only given it 3 stars, it's worth a read.

O'Keeffe's 96g Working Hands Hand Cream
O'Keeffe's 96g Working Hands Hand Cream

5.0 out of 5 stars A product that actually works! Miracle cream., 1 May 2014
I work in construction (multi-trade) and have always suffered from splits in my fingers especially around the nail edges of the thumbs. I'm no wimp but it is seriously painful.
This is the only cream that has ever worked. I'm always skeptical of any product claims. Even after my cracked hands healed up after starting to use this product I wasn't sure if it was just chance. The real evidence was when I lost the tub and within two days my hands were splitting all over. 2 days after finding the tub again, my hands were no longer sore and the splits were healing. Wish it was available in bigger tubs.

DeWalt DWE315KT 300W Oscillating Multi-Tool with Quick Change Tool
DeWalt DWE315KT 300W Oscillating Multi-Tool with Quick Change Tool
Offered by Toolstop_Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars The best thing about it is the worst thing about it..., 9 April 2014
WARNING: Long.
There are some jobs that are just near impossible without a multi tool. I carry out renovation work for a living and new that such a tool would be invaluable. I have quite a few DeWalt tools and so was happy to purchase their multi tool (it was also the cheapest of the decent quality ones).
I was slightly wary as many of the 'product reviews' seemed more like blatant adverts with supposedly independent reviewers using the same lines like they had been told to use a script.
Anyway...the review.
The tool is a good size shape and weight being comfortable to hold and manipulate into awkward spaces.One of the big selling points is the quick tool change and this is a great idea. I cannot imagine a faster change system for this sort of tools.
The other big selling point is the paddle trigger. This is actually a very poor idea. The speed is very controllable with a good trigger action; at least it is in the shop. Once you are upside down with a joist full of rusty nails poking you in the back trying to cut something off at arms reach, it becomes a real pain in the proverbial. In any awkward situation or when you have to rotate the tool it becomes very hard to control the speed. This is a real problem as the blades will overheat in seconds and are pretty expensive. It would be much easier to have a normal speed controller, especially for sanding operations where the wrong speed results in clogged/burnt out paper and a melted backing pad.
The next issue is that this design is downright dangerous. It is natural to hold the body when trying to change the tool but since half he body is also the trigger, it's a great way to slice your fingers off. YES I KNOW! Turn it off at the mains when changing the blade!. Seriously... does any professional actually spend their time running backwards and forwards to the socket? All Dewalt needed to do was allow the lock switch to lock the paddle 'off' as well as lock it 'on' in full-speed-turbo-burn-the-tool-out-before-you-can-blink mode.
OK, so you are a good boy/girl and switch it off to change blades. What about when you put it down? It is so easy to put this tool down with the paddle resting against something or knock it over onto the paddle. Off goes your multi tool on a little floor scratching adventure of its own. I even had one scrabble it’s way off under a bath whilst I was doing a bathroom fit, I had to wrench it back out by the cable before it hacked the plumbing to pieces. Seriously it was like a cross between Monty Python and Alien!
In all seriousness go for something else if you can afford it. Something with a normal speed controller.
YMMV
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2015 3:37 PM GMT

Great North Road
Great North Road
by Peter F. Hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars OK, I forgive you for the 'Void' trilogy..., 10 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Great North Road (Paperback)
Great book. I'm a Hamilton fan, and this book is a return to Hamilton for me after having given up on the wiffly direness that was 'Void' series.

To me, this is a much 'cleaner' book with clear and relevant intertwined plotlines that nicely drip-feed information to the reader to produce a nicely paced story. Sufficient vagueness is introduced at times to leave the reader unsure as to exactly who the bad guys/gals/scary-things-with-human-eyes are; and the whole plot is brought to a head in a quite desperate but satisfying conclusion.

Hamilton has a great imagination which sometimes (IMO) can lead to frivolous detailing (the entire void series?) but I found this book was nicely focused and I didn't find myself speed-reading through sections to get to 'the relevant bits'.

Very enjoyable book and an example of the great storytelling that Hamilton is capable of.

(did I mention that I hated the void series?)

Warbreaker
Warbreaker
by Brandon Sanderson

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh fantasy, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Warbreaker (Paperback)
This is my first Sanderson book, read after finishing the wheel of time series.
First thing; despite having a busy work life, I averaged over a hundred pages per day. This was a hard book to put down.
The story is a great mix of comedy, tragedy, intrigue and plot twists. Sanderson's new slant on 'magic' is not over-used, with just enough revelation every so often to keep the reader interested. The changes in plot direction keep the storyline fresh right up to the final page.
Great read... I hope he has a big enough back catalogue to keep me entertained if I am piling through his books in just 5 days!

Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dvd ~ Karl Urban

5.0 out of 5 stars Very violent, very entertaining, 20 Jan. 2013
I know a littl bit about Dredd, but I'm not a comic fan or anything, so I can't comment on authenticity etc. The film did seem suitably dark and threatening though, as you would expect for a post apocalyptic decaying society.

The film itself is pretty violent and definitely deserves it's 18 rating.
It isn't a gore fest for the sake of blowing stuff/people up though, the action does fit the context of the film.

I watched the 3D version and thought that 3D was used to great effect. Very little gratuitous use of 3D effects, but the sense of perspective with the long corridors/huge structures really gave the film that little extra. Gratuitous 3D could be classed the 'slow-mo' drug effects, but I actually thought that the director was just making good use of the medium (watched it back in 2D and wasn't as impressive).

There have been comments regarding the quality of the blu-ray. There are parts where there is a slight 'frosted glass' effect. I assumed that this was due to the reduced resolution of my passive 3D TV, possibly in smoky scenes. The effect doesn't detract from the film and lessens when sat a sensible distance from the TV.

Plenty of other reviews cover the storyline, so I won't spoil it further. A sequel is inevitable and I will definitely be watching it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 21, 2013 7:11 AM GMT

The Expendables [DVD]
The Expendables [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sylvester Stallone
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars One for the bottom shelf, behind the other DVD's., 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Expendables [DVD] (DVD)
Maybe I made a rookie mistake, but when I saw the cast list, title and trailer clips, I assumed that this was a comedy spoof type affair. Oops.

I was a schoolkid when enjoyed the thrill of watching Rambo, Commando etc; Gore and body count were a way of judging how good the film was. I thought that cinema had moved on since then, not so it seems.

The acting is awful by pretty much all concerned. The script is paper thin and totally predicatable.
The appearance by Arnie is weird and turns out to be a badly done cameo appearance. Bruce Willis is an equally strange character who is never developed.

Stallone really needs to avoid writing himself into any love-interest roles. It's just not in the slightest bit realistic. I'm sorry but he looks a mess. Credit to Giselle Itié for acting like she was atracted to him. Bitchy maybe but can you disagree?

This was a great opportunity for a spoof but was ruined by an attempt to make a 'serious' film.
It was embarrasing to admit to my family that I paid £4 for this DVD.

Logitech M505 Wireless Mouse - Black
Logitech M505 Wireless Mouse - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars First impressions...very good., 17 Oct. 2012
Flushed with enthusiasm with buying a new laptop, I also decided to treat myself to a new mouse.
the 505 seemed to get some good press with few negatives, so I thought I'd give it a go.

Being a Physics teacher I'm not easily impressed by lasers and 'invisible light' and talk of the obscene resolutions etc that mouse manufacturers harp on about. As such, this mouse was a very pleasant surprise.

I'm getting on a bit and have owned and used rather a lot of mice in my time, but the precision of this mouse was quite impressive. Even when the new laptop arrived and I was using the mouse on the duvet (!) it was still incredibly responsive. Going back to my desktop (logitech) and old laptop (Microsoft) there is a noticeable difference, and they aren't shoddy mice either.

It's hard to put your finger on, but the cursor just goes exactly where you want, exactly when you want and there is no dithering about or strange micro-movements as the mouse settles. The size is OK, I'd probably prefer it ever so slightly bigger, but I've go big hands and it is comfortable enough to hold. The surface texture is just right, smooth rubber on the sides and super shiny on top.

When this mouse arrived I must admit that I baulked when I realised I'd spent that much on a mouse, but I'm very happy now that it's out of the box. I've not been using it long and if it blows up and burns my house down I'll probably edit this and knock a star off; but otherwise it's a well deserved 5 stars.

Evidence-Based Teaching A Practical Approach Second Edition
Evidence-Based Teaching A Practical Approach Second Edition
by Geoff Petty

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for educators, 6 Jun. 2012
This is essential for educators; new, seasoned, tired, fresh. Essential.
Many educational books are hypocritically dull and boring or full of confusing elitist techno-speak. This book covers everything you need to be an outstanding teacher and it does so in a clear style.
I have spent (literally) hundreds of hours in CPD sessions when they would have been better off just buying me this book. A lot of what I thought I understood from my CPD has been made clear thanks to Geoff Petty, it's quite scary how much I have found out I only half understood.

The book does what it says on the cover. It discusses pedagogical approaches that have evidence to back them up, with examples, and with any possible caveats. The layout is clear, the language is clear and the examples are a big help. It is quite easy to flick to a page and read bits of the book without trawling the whole work which makes it useful as a reference guide. The book also discusses how the evidence was gathered and assessed for its effect size so that you don't have to take the authors word for it. Oh, and Petty's explanation of Hattie's meta-analysis was better that Hattie's explanation of Hattie's meta-analysis which led to another "oohhh...I see..." moment.

It's ironic that I bought this book just as I was having a clear out of my other books purchased whilst in teacher training many moons ago. You'll find them on Amazon marketplace soon. They're in perfect condition.

TP-LINK TL-WPS510U Single USB 2.0 Port Wireless Print Server
TP-LINK TL-WPS510U Single USB 2.0 Port Wireless Print Server

4.0 out of 5 stars Good unit, but set-up is not as simple as it should be., 30 Nov. 2011
I bought this unit along with a TP-Link router after my BT Homehub died and my linksys printserver became very unreliable.
The unit works great once set up, it seems to pick up a good signal and is nice and small.

The set up is the main issue.
Rather than repeat what has been said, I would advise you to read the review by Paul Fisher alongside the official instructions.
Be careful on the IP numbers shown as they didn't match the default subnet of the TP-Link router. Lazy of me not to check, but there you go.

My biggest concern is that if you don't use the printserver utility to apply a password to the unit, anyone able to access it can see your WEP key as it is not masked. This may be an unlikely occurrence, but it would have been better if the initial set-up utility insisted on a password change.

Overall, a good unit which seems to work well (so far).

Page: 1 | 2