Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for Mr. T. Y. W. Kent > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. Y. W. Kent

Mr. T. Y. W. Kent "Tom" (Glasgow, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
JETech® M0770 2.4Ghz Wireless Mobile Optical Mouse with 6 Buttons, 3 DPI Levels, USB Wireless Receiver - 0770
Offered by JEDirect UK

4.0 out of 5 stars These seem perfect despite the continuous Storm Abigail which is causing many ..., 16 Nov. 2015
These seem perfect despite the continuous Storm Abigail which is causing many dropouts. I don't think that these have to do with the two mice which seem of very high quality. Thank you.

Orchestral Music of Alberto Ginastera
Orchestral Music of Alberto Ginastera

5.0 out of 5 stars Music not just Showpieces., 4 Mar. 2015
I have to reluctantly disagree with the other reviewer. South American music has more tempi range then faster & as fast as possible. The Adagio and Largo tempi here are well chosen. Slow, yes (as one would expect) but still flowing. There are langurous sections which are as romantic as one could wish without being slushy. The faster tempi are fast but not so fast that the detail is lost in a mad scramble (Moncayo's Huapango comes to mind). It is a very fine recording and the performances scarcely betray its European origin

. The pieces are all approachable with some uneasy, darker passages. The ballet Estancia ( a kind of Argentinian Appalachian Spring) is in the most tuneful style. The 3 part (21 min.) Pampeane No.3 is the most varied and emotional. If I am guessing correctly it is a symphonic poem on the vast, lonely (apart from the cattle) steppe region of the Pampas. This cd is well worth exploring to give Argentina an even break v Brasil (Villa Lobos). Their sound worlds are related but different just like medieval Spain and Portugal.

Paris
Paris

2.0 out of 5 stars Alison's snoreathon. Crossover at your peril., 25 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Paris (MP3 Download)
OK, if you simply want saccharine arrangements crossing over to a world somewhere between Dr.Zhivago and Mantovani then this is for you accompanied by chintzy wallpaper. There are 12 tracks. The 3 Messiaen ones (from Vingt Regards) actually work quite well. Nuages also passes muster as a bluesy number in a smoky Le Jazz Hot nightclub (play it Sam). The rest are distinctly mediocre with Alison developing a slight vibrato which seems to indicate that she struggles to hold a long sustained note without minor pitch wobbles. At 51 mins. the cd is not exactly generously overfilled. If this is to be her career track chasing the big bucks then it is a shame as her playing is going backwards.

My prize for worst arrangement has to go to the slow movement of the Ravel two-handed concerto. It deserves to be filed next to the collected magnum opuses of Daniel O'Donnell.
Many easy listeners will like it. Unfortunately, I am not one. The close miked recording is fine. I'll download 'Le Baiser de l'Enfant Jesus for curiosity value. Not to my taste but please sample the MP3 downloads for yourselves. Tom K.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2015 1:09 PM GMT

String Sextets - Brahms
String Sextets - Brahms
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars A good day for the players of St. Martin's but an off day for Chandos's engineers. Naxos wins here., 9 Oct. 2014
This review is from: String Sextets - Brahms (Audio CD)
Whilst I see where Scott is coming from I like these sunny, relaxed performances. I don't think that Brahms intended them to be overly dramatic. The Stuttgarters are excellent. At a guess i would think that they are possibly a group drawn from the SSO and their ensemble is excellent. I compared this with the Chandos St Martin performance. To my amazement the sound quality there is woolly. This is much clearer to my ageing ears.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2015 11:27 PM GMT

Plastic WC Toilet Cistern Lever Arm Multi Adjustable Replacement Flush Lever
Plastic WC Toilet Cistern Lever Arm Multi Adjustable Replacement Flush Lever
Offered by the-home-fusion-company

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
arrived in fine condittion

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
arrived in fine condition.

Russian Masters [40cd]
Russian Masters [40cd]

1.0 out of 5 stars Some Information Please Amazon., 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Russian Masters [40cd] (Audio CD)
What on earth is on this collection. A 40cd set and we don't even have a list of contents. As there is no mp3 version there is no way of knowing.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 27, 2014 6:14 PM GMT

Melartin: The Six SYMPHONIES
Melartin: The Six SYMPHONIES

2.0 out of 5 stars Sample before you buy., 20 Jan. 2014
Unfortunately, i don't think that Melartin is a neglected genius. However, to be fair, I have only listened to all of the short MP3 tracks that Amazon provide. They are conventional stuff indeed rather at times like a later Grieg, Berwald or Wiren. As a devout Mahlerian, esp. the 3rd, I cannot hear any connection. Note, i am expanding my search to all of
Scandinavia not just Finland. Sibelius and Nielsen remain the masters but both Alfven and Atterburg are very good as well.

The symphonies are well wrought and tuneful but lack memorable ideas or a unique style. However, I will wait until I can hear the whole works and suspend judgement at 3 stars for both music and performance.

Why only 2 stars? Because Ondine's recording is execrable. It is not just the scratchy strings but the harsher members of the brass and wind sound as if they are playing battered instruments from c.1950. I used to play a trumpet like that in my teens. The Tampere band has probably improved beyond all measure since these recordings were made. I refuse to judge them on this recording. Were the engineers indulging in fine vodka imported from the late unlamented USSR? I only gave them one star and that was just for turning up. The conductor is Grin but the taping was grim.

I immediately checked a couple of other MP3s on the same equipment in case the fault lay here. No it doesn't. I have stored them on the mP3 Wish List and will await another recording say on Naxos.

My apologies to the other helpful reviewers. This is only my opinion of course.

Gustav Holst - Savitiri/Vaughn Williams - The Lark Ascending/ Benjamin Britten - Sinfonietta

4.0 out of 5 stars Someone has to balance the Lone Star American review, 31 Jan. 2013
The review of Savitri on amazon.com absolutely hammers the singers of Savitri. I am sorry but I couldn't disagree more. Yes the student singers give it their all dramatically. Why not? The tale IS a cosmic drama from the Mahabarata which involves us all. The death of our most loved one. It has extra poignancy for me as cancer destroyed my wife on my 43rd birthday 25 years ago. I wish that Death had offered me Savitri's boon and get-out clause. This is not some pretty little Hindu story but grim reality.

The problem lies in Holst's own libretto where he translated the story in such a quintessentially English way that it could pass as an episode of The Archers. Unfortunately, previous English performances have taken their cue from this and not from the overpowering force of Holst's great music for a tiny ensemble.The other reviewer rightly points out that this is the first recorded performance to use Holst's exact score and not be tempted to beef up the strings for Dames Janet (too powerful for such a very young wife) and Dame Felicity (better).

The singers are indeed passionate but all have very attractive youthful voices (even Death) and absolutely superb diction without a trace of an American or Home Counties accent. You don't need the libretto for this even if you have never heard it before. I think that the superb recording is in fact well balanced and the extension of the word Death upon his entrance is dramatically successful if not textually correct. Perhaps Holst thought that the student lined up for the first performance would not have the lung power to sustain the note. It works!

OK. Why have I deducted a star? Two reasons. Firstly the recording does not seamlessly blend from one of the 9 sections into the next. It sounds like someone has attacked the tape with a set of kitchen scissors. Secondly, the couplings are well played but don't exactly fit in with the opera. I have flocks of Ascending Larks. I don't need another. The Britten Sinfonietta is also out of place. Why do we not hear more of the Manhatten singers? Hymns from the Rig Veda seems obvious and why not make it an all-Holst disc?

In summary, 5 stars for Savitri and -1 star for the marketing men. Buy it and enjoy.

Chicago Symphony Orchestra Brass Live: Works By Gabrieli, Bach, Revueltas, Prokofiev, Grainger...

3.0 out of 5 stars Great playing. Mediocre arranging., 31 Jan. 2013
As an ex-trumpeter I was looking forward to this as I too am a great admirer of the CSO's brass. However, a lot of the arrangements simply don't work despite the excellent playing. I ended up cherry-picking 6 tracks. Crown Imperial works fine. The Gabrieli arrangements are OK but miss the antiphonal opportunities. Sonata Pian e Forte is the worst example but the sheer excitement of the Canzona in Duodecimi Toni is unmissable.

Grainger fares worst of all. If you are going to do a Lincolnshire Posy for brass the only possible way is for an English brass band and yes I do know that Percy was an Aussie. The only track selected here was The Brisk Young Sailor for the pyrotechnics of the trumpets' tonguing at the start. The Revueltas I picked out of curiosity as i don't know it at all.

The Montagues and Capulets got in because of the opening grinding chords. The Dance was an odd choice as it doesn't sound all that different from Prokofiev's original. Tybalt had to be in for the virtuosity required. So, in all 6 tracks for £3.54.

I have saved the Bach for last. This should be the easiest to arrange well for brass. Not so here. The dreadful mixed mutes used at the start totally destroy it for me. A great pity. A final swipe at Amazon. Why does a track lasting just over a minute cost exactly the same as one of 7? Sorry folks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4