Profile for Mr. H. C. R. Allen > Reviews

Content by Mr. H. C. R. Allen

Mr. H. C. R. Allen "mhcra" (Brighton, England)

Waterproof Mini Portable Full HD Sports Camera 1080P with 30 Meters Waterproof Range SJ1000 (White)
Offered by SuperStore_Electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you want to surf with this camera, 4 Sep 2014
Firstly the camera takes excellent quality footage. The resolution and framerate options are 480p at 60fps, 720p at 30 or 60 fps and 1080p at 30 fps. Contrary to another review I've read, the lens does seem to be 130 degrees as advertised (I could be wrong about that though as I'm not an expert).

On top of that it's easy to use with an intuitive interface and the amount of bundled accessories is frankly almost a bit daunting.

BUT! During my 3rd surf with the camera, I came up from a good wave to see the flat mounting pad empty. To illustrate - you attach the flat mounting pad to your board then the camera in its case clips onto the pad using a "ladder lock" type clip. The pad was still secure on my board but the camera had clearly become "unclipped" after being hit by a wave.

To be honest there's a fair chance that it was my fault i.e. that I didn't clip the camera housing properly and securely into the mounting pad. I say this because I'd taken it out in much more powerful waves previously with no problems. That said if you intend to surf with it, you should definitely order some of the tethers available on amazon (search "gopro tether" - there's a lot of cheap ones available).

I've still given it 5 stars since I imagine the exact same thing could readily happen with a £180 gopro. I'm just going to order another one (along with a load of tethers) and put it down to experience.

Blunt Force Trauma (Special Edition)
Blunt Force Trauma (Special Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting there..., 29 April 2011
Ignore people who say Max has been churning out the same album since the Sepultura split. There's been a really noticable shift in the Soulfly output away from nu metal and towards a much more thrashy sound. I'm the first to admit his music since Sep has been hit and miss, but I don't regret buying any album he's put out.

This is a good album - the tracks are consistently strong with a blend of thrash verses and groove metal and hardcore choruses. On first listen, I thought the lyrics suffered from the same old Soulfly problem of being rushed and simplistic. After a few listens I realised they weren't actually all that bad.

My criticisms of Blunt Force Trauma? My understanding (from an interview with Igor) is that the album is the result essentially of a 4 hour jam in the studio. If that's even partially true, it's an impressive achievement. However I can't help but wish that Max would ditch soulfly and put some real work into the next CavCon album with Igor. Take a year out and really sweat over it. The results could be immense.

Also, Marc Rizzo's riffs and rythmn playing are undoubtably brutal and innovative. But he seems to use the same eastern sounding scale for alot of his high register lead lines which sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't. Mixing it up would be good.

Overall I'm stoked with this album and looking forward to it being the soundtrack to my summer.

Omen
Omen

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Surprise, 22 May 2010
This review is from: Omen (Audio CD)
My copy of Omen arrived this morning and I've only had a chance to listen to it a few times, so maybe this review's a bit premature! But I just wanted to balance out the opinions on here with a more positive review. If I decide I hate it in a few days time, I'll try and edit!

Unlike alot of people, I didn't really get Conquer, Soulfly's last album. It seemed to me to be all thrash without any real 'musicality'. Although I like heavier music, just bashing out disjointed riffs that don't actually sound that good seems pointless. For me, Soulfly's best album was the one before Conquer, Dark Ages. So after reading the previous two reviews, saying this was worse than Conquer, I didn't expect much from Omen. However I've been really pleasantly surprised - and in my opinion this is Soulfly's strongest release to date. It's closer to Dark Ages than Conquer - there's more melody behind the riffs. It's still got some of the heaviness of Conquer but paired with better song writing. Also, it's more consistent than Dark Ages was, without the slightly hit-and-miss experimentation that marred some of the tracks. Stand out tracks for me are the single, Rise of the Fallen and track 4, Lethal Injection. I totally agree with the other reviews though that lyrics have never been Soulfly's strength. Which is strange because the lyrics on old Sepultura (Cavelera's famous previous band) were pretty decent.

I bought the special edition Omen. I haven't had a chance to watch the bonus DVD but the extra tracks on the first CD are pretty good. I wouldn't say they made the special ed a 'must buy' though.

Whenever I read a good review amoungst mostly bad reviews I tend to assume it's a deluded fan boy who can't accept that an album's rubbish. But honestly, I was all ready to totally slate this album. But I genuinely reckon this is a good album by any standards. It seems to have polarised opinions a bit though so you might want to go to roadrunner's website, where you can stream the whole standard edition of Omen for free. Then you can decide for yourself!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2010 6:04 PM GMT

Ninjutsu: The Secret Art of the Ninja
Ninjutsu: The Secret Art of the Ninja
by Simon Yeo

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on ninjutsu technique, 4 April 2009
This book covers the core techniques in Bujinkan budo taijutsu and does so very well. The kihon happo (8 foundation techniques), basic kamae/postures, sanshin no kata and 16 striking 'treasures' are all covered as well as a good deal more. The author, Simon Yeo is a 10th dan black belt in the Bujinkan so you can take what he says as authentic and correct. This is important as a lot of people who claim to know ninjutsu have learnt it from dubious sources.

I use the book primarily as a technical reference as it covers technical 'best practice' very thoroughly and clearly. If you're a ninjutsu beginner or intermediate student then I would say this book is pretty much a 'must have'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2012 1:33 PM GMT

A-Lex [Deluxe Digipak]
A-Lex [Deluxe Digipak]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 14 Feb 2009
This review is from: A-Lex [Deluxe Digipak] (Audio CD)
I didnt have high hopes for this album. The short time in the studio, large number of tracks and the absence of Igor Cavalera rang alarm bells. But i couldn't have been more wrong! This is the best metal album Ive heard in a long time. The only dud track in my mind is ludwig van which tries to mix thrash and classical music without much success. Otherwise A-lex is consistently brilliant. If you like Chaos AD era sepultura, you'll like this. And if you're not quite sure, check out the sepultura myspace page cos you can stream the whole album.