Profile for Denise R. > Reviews

Content by Denise R.

Denise R. (Bellingham, WA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Crenova® WS-01 All-in-1 Bluetooth 4.0 Speaker with LED Table Lamp / Night Light (Dimmable 4 Brightness),Alarm Clock and LED Time Display,Speakerphone, Support TF Card - Built-in Microphone and 1800mAh Rechargeable Battery - Hands-Free Calls - Portable Size - Ideal as A Gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars A compact, multi-function Bluetooth speaker / lamp / clock / alarm!, 29 Dec. 2015
I have a weakness for lighting, and for gadgets. And the multi-function aspect of this little speaker/lamp appealed to me. So I was curious to give it a try and see how it worked. Here's what I found:

It is very compact! It's perfectly sized for my bedside table, which is where I'm using it.

Like most Bluetooth devices, its battery needs to be charged. It arrived partially charged and had a full charge soon after we plugged it into our wall charger.

Here's a list of the functions and how they work:

- The first thing I tried was the light...it emits a lovely soft glow. There are four different brightness settings. Though it doesn't throw a lot of light at any setting, it's ideal for a dim light in a bedroom or for mood lighting. The brochure calls it "romantic lighting" -- sure, why not?

-- The clock. It is in 24-hour format (military time) which can't be changed to 12-hour format. I would have liked the option to do that, but it's not a dealbreaker for me. You can also set the month and date, and year. There's also an alarm.

-- The music player. You can connect with Bluetooth (my device paired flawlessly with it), or you can play music from a micro-SD card (which you'll need to provide). The sound is certainly not audiophile quality but I didn't expect it to be. For casual listening on a very small device like this, it's just fine.

There is a micro-USB port on the back to charge it with the enclosed USB/micro-USB charging cable.

It is very intuitive to set up. Being one of those people who's prone to just charge ahead, I started setting it up without looking at the directions. I finally did read them. But I found it very intuitive to set up. The instruction manual is good -- it's understandably written, and has some helpful illustrations, too.

This would be an ideal light for travel, since it's compact and serves several functions.

It would also serve well during power outages to keep a clock and alarm handy. We've already had one 12-hour power outage this season, and will undoubtedly have more coming up -- so I am keeping it in an accessible spot in our home where it can easily seen and used whether we have power or not.

I received this free from Crenova so I could test it and share my honest experience with it in an unbiased, no obligation review.

iClever 40W 8A 4-Port USB Rapid Desktop Charger (2.4A Max Per Port) with SmartID Technology for iPhone 6s 6 / Plus / 5s 5, iPad Pro / Air mini 2, Galaxy S6 Edge S5 S4 Note 5, Android - Black
Offered by Elecsmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact, fast charger, 27 Nov. 2015
I received a free charger to try out, so I could share my honest experience with it in a no-obligation review. I hadn't owned a charger from this company before and was wondering what the quality would be like. I've had so many charger over the years, and some are better than others.

I've been using it for over two weeks now, plugged into an outlet in our living room. We plug phones, an iPod, tablet and other miscellaneous devices into it and it has been working like a champ.

I really like that this charger is corded. We plugged it into an inconveniently located outlet and the cord reaches so that we can keep the charger within reach. It sits on a surface between a sofa and chair. It is really nice to have it within easy reach and not have to charge our devices right under an outlet. This way we can keep using them while plugged in.

Our devices all plugged very quickly with this. I have little patience with slow chargers so that's a big plus. It's also fairly compact, and has a soft finish. It also seems solidly constructed.

I always cast a critical eye over the items I use and review -- and always point out any issues I find, and rate accordingly -- but I couldn't find anything not to like about this charger. I'm glad to have it and would buy another.

Ohuhu Stainless Steel Tea Strainer / Tea Filter / Tea Infuser with 4.35 Chain
Ohuhu Stainless Steel Tea Strainer / Tea Filter / Tea Infuser with 4.35 Chain

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoughfully designed tea strainer, 4 Nov. 2015
I received a free strainer to try out so I could share my experience with it in a review. I wasn't sure what to expect -- I've had a lot of tea strainers over the years, but this design was new to me. I was curious to see how it would compare to others I've used.

It's stainless steel a polished, shiny finish. The lid twists off and on. It is lightweight but sturdy; It doesn't feel cheap or flimsy like others I've used.

This one is also notable because it has a flat bottom and sits at the bottom of the cup. This is great because all the tea stays submerged.

The holes are very small so it gives a nice clear cup of tea without leaking loose bits of tea into the cup. It holds plenty enough for a cup of tea with room to spare.

It also washes up well. Being stainless steel, it can go in the dishwasher but I find it easier to just give it a good rinse under the kitchen faucet.

I have tea strainers which are cuter than this -- but this one sets itself apart because of its thoughtful design; it gives me great cup of tea. I always cast a critical eye over the items I use and review, but couldn't find anything not to like about this one. It's working well for me.

Emergency Vehicle Flashlight - OxyLED MD30 3-in-1 Multi-Function LED Flashlight,High Lumen 100,000 Hours CREE Torch With MAGNETIZED BASE
Offered by Elecsmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Three very bright modes, 29 Sept. 2015
There is a lot to like about this flashlight.

1. It's an LED flashlight, so won't use much power. The batteries will last longer than with a traditional flashlight.

2. There are 3 modes: flashlight, bar of light on the side, and a flashing red light. Because of the flashing red light this would be especially good to keep in the car. (But I got it for household use.) All 3 lights are very bright!

3. The collar around the top has flat edges, so you can set the flashlight down without it rolling away.

4. Ther'es a magnet on the end of it. And, a wrist strap, too.

I'm so impressed with this flashlight! But there are a couple nitpicky things I'll point out. First, there are no instructions. I mean, it is a flashlight so pretty simple, but still it would have been nice to have known, for example, what type of batteries to use (3 AAAs, positive side down). Also, the on/off button is right next to the bar of lights, so when you press it, be sure to look away or you'll get lights in your face. Neither is a real problem.

The flashlight feels solid in the hand. It seems to be very well constructed. using metal and heavy plastic, and built to last.

I always cast a critical eye over the items I use and review, and point out any issues I find. Aside from the couple of nitpicks above, I didn't find anything not to like about this flashlight. I've had a lot of cheesy, cheapy ones over the years and this one sets itself apart from those with the variety of features and quality of construction.

We've already had a 12-hour power outage this season, and I am keeping this within easy reach for the next time it happens.

I received a complimentary flashlight so I could share my experience in an honest, no-obligation review after use.
Comment Comment | Permalink

DBPOWER 5-in-1 Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge With Multi Emergency Tool-Safety Hammer, Seatbelt Cutter and Flashlight for Automotive (Tools 5 in 1)
Offered by ST. Direct EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, and easy to use!, 27 Aug. 2015
My husband is very conscientious about checking our tire pressure. So, we've had a lot of tire gauges over the years, and I was curious to see how this one would work.

I liked that it's digital and that the display is large. We found that it's easy to use - just hook it to the valve, press the button and the pressure reading shows on the screen. Pretty darn simple.

What's more important is that the reading was accurate. Right on target.

There are some bonuses here that I haven't seen on other tire gauges, at least not ones we've owned. There is a car window breaker (it flips out with the push of a button) in case you ever find yourself trapped in the car.

There are also a number of tools which flip out --- scissors, saw, screwdriver, pliers. And, there is a flashlight which is quite bright. All could be very useful while traveling. I found them a little stiff to pull out, but my husband had no issue with them at all.

Very glad to have this. We put it in the console to keep it handy and will continue to get a lot of use out of it.

Complimentary sample provided for my honest review.

1byone 4-Port USB-C to USB 3.0 Aluminum Hub with LEDs for Apple MacBook (12-Inch), Google ChromeBook Pixel (2015) and More USB Type-C Devices
Offered by 1Byone Products Inc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aluminum USB hub for computers with the new USB-C ports, 9 Aug. 2015
The lack of USB ports is always an issue with laptops. So a USB port that will take 4 devices is a good thing.

Taking this hub out of the box, I was impressed with its shape and the aluminum casing, which give it a high-end look.

The end that goes into the computer is one of the new USB-C plugs. USB-C plugs are much smaller than the previous types, and can be inserted with either side up.

USB-C was just introduced earlier this year. Most computers don't have this sort of port; going forward more of them will. The new 12" MacBook features them, and so does the Chromebook Pixel.

In the future, more computers will have this feature. If your computer doesn't have a USB-C port, then this hub won't work for you -- you won't have anywhere to plug it in.

The USB ports on the hub are USB 3.0 which are very fast. However, USB 3.0 ports are backwards-compatible, so if you still have USB 2.0 devices (as many of us still do), they will work fine - just not at 3.0 speeds.

I found that my USB devices plugged snugly into this hub. The hub is heavy enough that it stays put on the desk pretty well (mounting tape / velcro is also included if you want a more permanent solution), but light enough not to weigh down your bag or pocket if you take it with you.

Complimentary sample given for evaluation and my honest, unbiased review.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Love this doorbell - but only one receiver worked, 6 Aug. 2015
First, the good:
This set comes with two receivers, so if you have a large house and want better coverage, you can do so.

Both receivers can have different chimes, which is kind of cool, too. So, if you want a traditional doorbell chime downstairs, and, say, an electronic version of some classical music upstairs, you can do that.

There's a wide variety of chimes, from sound tones to electronic music tones (including Christmas!).

They are beautifully designed, white with a subtle light on one corner which flashes when the bell is rung. (You can choose just for it to flash - or for the flash and doorbell chime together.) It has nice curves and looks very classy and subtle.

The button, too, is nicely designed. It is mostly white and both button and receiver will blend into any type of decor. I like that the receiver plugs in - no batteries to replace. (The button comes with one of those little round batteries which will last a very long time.)

It's also loud and the range is good. My office is on the second floor of a 2-story building, and about 40 feet back from the entry. I placed the receiver in the entry way, with the doorbell button outside the door, about 12 feet away. I can very easily hear the receiver from my office - no problem at all!

Now, the not so good:
I would have given this set 5 stars, but one of the two receivers didn't work.

The first one registered to the push button very quickly and was working immediately. The second one I could never get to work. We followed the instructions very carefully, trying many times (and following the same simple sequence as with the first one) and it is just defective.

I have had other doorbells of this brand and they have all worked well so I'm hoping (and suspect) the dead receiver is an unusual occurrence.

I was sent a free sample for use and my honest review.

DeClutter Magic : Tips for Organizing, Simplifying, and Tidying your Home from my Japanese Grandmother: Organized for Life Series

5.0 out of 5 stars a brief decluttering guide with a unique perspective, 6 Aug. 2015
This is a short book, about 27 pages. If it were printed it would probably be called a pamphlet. But even so I found it to contain good advice -- its perspective, not its length, is what's useful.

He notes that his Japanese grandmother kept her home tidy and organized, but also serene and comfortable. He asked her about it, and she explained to him that in life, "environment is everything."

This book is built around explaining how the reader can accomplish a pleasing environment by managing the accumulation / decluttering cycle well. The author explains how too much stuff can drag us down, making us feel stressed and fatigued. I could relate to that -- though I love "things" and getting new ones, somehow I always feel better and healthier with fewer of them.

The book is well organized. Chapter 1 is devoted to exploring why we accumulate and hang onto clutter. Suzuki points out that we often become emotionally attached to items in our homes, even ones which don't have any real purpose in our lives anymore. That really resonated for me. Guilty as charged! Suzuki also has some brief but great ideas about dealing with family heirlooms or very sentimental items, which is one of my own most difficult areas to deal with. And, he suggests specific, often-unused items that are found in most households.

Chapter 2 goes into grandma's process of purging the extra stuff. His outline for the purging process is flexible. He doesn't make you feel bad if you don't get the whole house done in a weekend. Suzuki also presents three questions to ask yourself as you declutter; they are a little different than the ones in other books I've read, and are oriented toward the "environment is everything" philosophy.

I haven't read a decluttering book that looks at the issue in quite this same way. As someone with a lifelong love of clutter (and whose summer mantra is "Let's go garage saleing today!" what he said made a whole lot of sense.

Chapter 3 explains what to do with the purged stuff, and chapter 4 deals with how to keep a clutter-free home -- and mindset. He points out that decluttering shouldn't be thought of as a burden but rather as a positive, natural thing that we all need to do occasionally in order to bring our lives and homes back into balance.

It's a fast read - less than an hour for me. The book itself isn't cluttered, pared down to the useful essentials. I should also note that this book is not only well-written is correctly formatted and edited - a big positive to me.

This September's goal (after the weather cools down a bit) is decluttering. And I'm going to be better equipped to do it this time around (and hopefully to stay on track in the future) because of the unique perspective portrayed in this book.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of the book, but my opinions are mine alone. I'm not acquainted with the author and did not promise a positive review, or any review at all. I shop at Amazon a lot and rely upon reviews to make my own purchasing decisions. So I always relay my true opinions in my reviews, whether they are positive or negative.

TeiKis® 2 Bottles Wine Travel Bag - Included Bottle Opener: Corkscrew & Bottle Opener & Foil Cutter[All In One] - Wine/champagne Cooler Insulated Bag - Wine Traveler

5.0 out of 5 stars For wine - but more, too., 2 July 2015
Now that the weather is warmer, my husband and I are looking forward to some picnics. And, we sometimes bring a bottle or two of wine with us when we visit family. This is perfect for both those uses.

The bag is narrow enough that carrying two wide bottles (like Champagne bottles) isn't going to work, but you could carry one. Two normal height, standard width wine bottles will fit fine. The divider between the two sides is attached only on the back side so that you can fold it down to accommodate something larger.

The lining is lined in a silver reflective material to help maintain the temperature; it is shiny and easy to clean. A loop in the lid holds a waiter's corkscrew, which is included. There is a generously-sized pocket on the outside as well. The construction seems quite sturdy

We discovered that this will work for more than just wine, though. My husband's soft-sided insulated lunch container went missing at work and he's been wanting to replace it. When he saw this cooler, he said he wanted to use it to take his lunch. He put the blue ice inside (but it could have fit in the outside pocket as well). The loop for the corkscrew could also be used to hold utensils if you wanted. The outside pocket is perfect for napkins, mints, etc. The inside is large enough to hold a sandwich, drink, etc. Turns out, it actually works really well as a lunch bag.

I should also note that it does fold pretty flat when not in use, so it doesn't take much space to store it. My only suggestion is that it would be great if you could also fit a couple wine glasses in the lid. But there is something to be said for it being compact. But that's not a big deal.

So, whether for picnics, family events or lunch, we are sure to be getting a lot of use out of this great little cooler from here on out.

Provided by TeiKis for my honest feedback in the form of a review. Opinions stated are only my own.

Coveron Hard Snap-On Shield Blue Rubberized Faceplate Cover Sleeve Case For Kyocera C5120 Milano (Sprint) With Pry Removal Tool Case [Wch316]

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Kyocera Milano cover, 2 July 2015
We've had two of these now. The first we bought a year and a half ago. It held up fine, but got looking kind of dirty or grungy eventually, especially on the part that frames the front of the phone. (Probably happened from talking and from riding around in the bottom of my purse.) I probably could've given it a thorough scrub, but why? These are so inexpensive it's simpler just to buy another one.

The cover snaps on and off very easily (but won't do so accidentally). The edges are a little lighter blue than the front and back surfaces. It is a soft, rubberized finish which feels good in the hand.

The blue color is very vivid and very close to what's pictured here. It adds a good shot of color to our phone and makes it easier to locate, too.

It does a good job in protecting our phone. I also have the CoverOn screen protectors which also work very well. Pleased to have this, our second, and will likely buy another in the future, too!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5