Profile for Mr. D. Swan > Reviews

Content by Mr. D. Swan

Mr. D. Swan "daveswan007" (Uk)

TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Cable Router
TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps Wireless N Cable Router

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for BT HOMEHUB on INFINITY, 26 Aug. 2012
Hi

After not being able to stay connected on Mario Kart online via wireless last week (6 feet away from the hub!!!), I'd had the final straw with the BT Homehub 3 which I use for Bt Inifinity.
And so I set out to replace it and alas landed here. So:

The Good:
Easy to replace
(Up and running in 5 mins. Literally replace the hub and go to 192.168.0.1 on your PC and change connection type to PPPE and enter your username as bthomehub@btbroadband.com)
Better wireless speeds
Before connected via the Homehub where the PS3 is located would get less than 1mb via wireless. Now It tends to get 6mb via the new router.
Wired connections seemed to have remained the same (30mb for me)

The Bad:
The range seems worse (using G only)
Where I would have got 3 bars before I get 2 now but everywhere else in the house is full strength. However that said the speeds are still better.
One of the aerials feels loose
I'm not sure if there is anyway to check that this aerial is fully functioning

Anyways my main point is if you are looking to replace your homehub on infinity this will do the job for £20. (I struggled to find a straight answer of what routers will work on infintiy. It's cable connection routers not ADSL routers. Hope this helps.) I should also point out all of my connections are via G network. Again this should be taken into consideration when I'm describing this products range and speed.

So in conclusion I've not really had it long enough to fully comment on the wireless improvements but I would say so far so good. I was able to play an online match and stream music last night in the room that before would snail along and repeatedly drop connection. Therefore from what I can tell thus far I would say if you want rid of the homehub this is a worthwhile purchase.

How It Ends (Radio Edit)
How It Ends (Radio Edit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Single, 26 Dec. 2008
This song is on the latest advert for gears of war 2. It is a slow, emotional song with a great feeling to it. An enjoyable 5 minutes!!

Sound Blaster Audigy 4
Sound Blaster Audigy 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Sound Without Breaking The Bank! Nifty Remote Too!, 19 July 2006
Hey if you're thinking of upgrading to a sound card, then do it! I upgraded from onboard on my super spec new pc and I could tell the difference in sound immediately! I've read if you already own an Audigy 2 or similar it's not worth the jump but if your like me getting a sound card installed I'd highly recommend this one.

Audigy 4 is the highest you can go before jumping up to x-fi, along with the price taking a big leap up to more than double this.

A real nifty feature too included is the remote n usb IR receiver. It comes with its own "media center" style program to play music video's etc "media" on, but if you prefer (like me) the remote works to control windows media player 10/11 as well. Ideal if you sit away from your computer whilst listening to your music. Just like to point out the Ir has a great range too, it goes through some objects!

It's 5.1, via 3 outputs front , rear n center/sub. & has 3 others one for mic, one for line in & unsure about other!

I'm using a mic on it too also with no problems & crystal clear. (When I had on board it was fuzzy n distorted).

The settings can be adjusted to suit your taste so if you want shake floor you can have it or if not you can make sound clear n more defined etc with plenty settings to play with. (I'd daren't touch most!)

Next step is to upgrade my speakers, most likely to the Creative Inspire T6060 5.1 set which is the same price on here.

I've looked around & prices are similar everywhere else but Amazon offer free delivery.

Overall, well worth the leap from onboard. If you're looking at £30 for an Audigy card why not make it £50 for Audigy 4. Small price to pay extra for a big leap in quality and more up to date product, in my opnion.

I've had this product a few mopnths now & really cannot fault it.

Read more at

[...] to really make ya want the card!

Norton Internet Security 2006
Norton Internet Security 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Ideal For New Users. But Security At A Price For Advanced Users, 10 May 2006
I had this norton internet security on my old pc and i may have had no viruses but it creates new problems for you!

Firstly it slowed the system down considerably for a background task (2.8ghz 1gb RAM). But the more annoying effects were things like it stopped me from being able to connect to online multiplayer game servers. So i disabled it (msconfig), & it disabled my internet! Even once I'd uninstalled it I still had connection issues. Also causes headaches when trying to set up a wireless network.

So the plus point is it does what it says it does, which is secure your internet but to a point where you can't access it fully!

I'd say if you only use the net for browsing web pages and are unsure of certain aspects online ie fake sites,the signs of spyware/adware/malware etc then i'd reccommend this product as it will keep your pc safe from harm.

It's also an ideal program to put on a pc for a new user (I.e. i've put it on my grandads pc as he won't mind the RAM being used up because i don't think he'll be playing much counter strike!).

But if you've got a fair bit of computer knowledge under the belt I'd give this one a miss. I just keep xp bang up to date and use spyware doctor & I haven't had any issues on my new system.

Nintendo DS Handheld Console (Silver)
Nintendo DS Handheld Console (Silver)

5.0 out of 5 stars DS all the way!, 12 April 2005
What can i say, DS has alot of potential with it's many features. Mario is as good as ever, even though luigi significantly helps to completing it in no time!
Dissapointed to see 2d games still popping there heads up on this first 3d handheld gaming machine (ngage dont count cus t'was crap,i had one!) But aslong as nintendo bag some titles on the DS, it's gonna rock & be around for yonks to come. With titles such as zelda, mario & pokemon i can't see them not succeding. Cant wait for a 3d zelda game to carry in my pocket!
AS for the psp, its nearly twice as much!You'd be better to get 2 DS's & play a buddy on multiplayer,as it is now wireless with a massive range (we tested it!), & only one person needs a copy of the game! Roll on mario kart!!
Go buy a DS now with mamamariio!!!