ARRAY(0xafa441a4)

Profile for Lima > Reviews

Content by Lima

Lima

TP-Link TD-W8960N 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections
Price: 29.56

1.0 out of 5 stars Kept dropping broadband connection, 25 Feb 2013
Bought two of these to supply and install for one customer and also to replace my own router at home (I am a computer technician). Easy to set up, rather bizarre-looking but up and running in no time at all. But..... my home one had problems straight away. The broadband was slow, intermittent and kept dropping off.
Checked all settings, should have been no problem. Sync speed was fine, download speeds were terrible. Streaming services such as iPlayer and Netflix were impossible to watch.

Had a call from the customer who I installed the other one for, and hers was exactly the same.
Amazon took these two back with no hassle, so full marks to Amazon.
It's a shame, because TP-Link make some very good network switches, these were just a duff batch I feel.

Also, why do Amazon insist on lumping reviews of different models together? It's infuriating because a newer model might be a big improvement, but will get the bad marks from the previous model, and vice-versa.

I'm now using a Billion 7800N - a lot more expensive, but so far the most reliable router I have ever used!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2013 1:27 AM BST

Gigabyte GA-G41M-COMBO SKT-775 Motherboard (Rev 2.0)
Gigabyte GA-G41M-COMBO SKT-775 Motherboard (Rev 2.0)
Offered by PreisCompany
Price: 69.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great board to extend the life of your quad-core 775 CPU, 9 Feb 2013
I had two identical machines with Intel Q6600 CPUs mounted on boards with DDR2, but I wanted to use DDR3 memory for music production purposes.
I upgraded one PC with one of these boards and made comparisons - the DDR3 PC blew the DDR2 PC away when it came to realtime music production, so i upgraded the second PC too.

These boards have given me another couple of years life from my Q6600s, I can run many more VST plugins with these boards than I could with the old boards with otherwise identical hardware.
Socket 775 boards with DDR3 are scarce, but these really do fill that niche!
Also, contrary to some reports I've seen, these will happily run 2x 4GB DDR3 to give a maximum of 8GB. They DON'T take single 8GB sticks though (I know, I tried it!).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2013 7:23 PM GMT

JVC KD-DB42 DAB Car Stereo CD, MP3, USB, DAB with Dual AUX-in Car Stereo. DAB Antenna NOT included
Offered by BASS JUNKIES - Wolverhampton
Price: 109.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 9 Feb 2013
Simply the best stereo I have ever had in any vehicle! I didn't bother fitting the internal windscreen-mounted antenna, I bought an external roof-mounted DAB/FM/AM antenna which has given me superb coverage in the Forest of Dean, an area where even the FM coverage is actually quite patchy.

If I had just one criticism, the combined volume/entry knob is slippery shiny silver and would have been better if it was knurled for a bit of grip. Don't let that put you off though, buy with confidence - and make sure you budget for an external DAB antenna!

Startech.com 2S1P Native PCI Express Parallel Serial Combo Card with 16550 UART
Startech.com 2S1P Native PCI Express Parallel Serial Combo Card with 16550 UART
Price: 22.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Not working for me, 9 Feb 2013
Could not get this to work at all with a new Zoostorm PC with a freshly installed XP, despite hours of trying everything I could think of (don't bother posting suggestions please, I am a computer tech and know what I am doing, plus the problem is now solved anyway). It also wouldn't work in a 2 year old GigaByte Windows 7 PC.
It was, bizarrely, recognised by a six year old Dell Inspiron running Windows 8, but useless as it wasn't the machine I actually needed it in!

Three stars as it probably works with some machines, but not all. Maybe I had a duff one, but I wasn't taking chances on a direct replacement and I replaced it with a Newlink USB dual serial adapter NEWLink USB 2.0 to Serial D9 Dual Cable Adaptor - fitted and working within two minutes!

NEWLink USB 2.0 to Serial D9 Dual Cable Adaptor
NEWLink USB 2.0 to Serial D9 Dual Cable Adaptor
Price: 17.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great with XP, 9 Feb 2013
This was installed on a brand new Zoostorm that did not come with a serial port on the motherboard, and we needed to run a professional plotter that needed two serial ports.
Plugged in and worked first time with no problems, drivers not required.

A bit pricey but essential to the business, so a worthy purchase.

Author! Author!
Author! Author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tears in my eyes!, 5 July 2007
This review is from: Author! Author! (Audio CD)
I am typing this as my CD player is playing this as loud as my 43 year old hearing can handle (which isn't half as loud as when I first played this when I first bought this on vinyl in 1982).
It still sounds every bit as edgy, exciting and as fresh as when it was recorded 26 years ago. In fact, I found another vinyl copy in a bargain bin back in 1987 which I bought as a backup copy just in case the original one wore out!
All I can say is the long painful wait is over and thanks the Paul Research and the lads for persevering with the release of this CD.

Norton Antivirus 2007 (PC)
Norton Antivirus 2007 (PC)

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, 28 Feb 2007
I am a technician by trade and I have had more calls from customers about Norton wrecking their systems than any other security software.
People that buy Norton products do so only because they don't know any different. I'm not going to name any alternatives as I am not here to promote any products, but just to steer people away from this bloated overpriced piece of junk. I wouldn't put this onto my PC if someone paid me [...]. Please do a Google search for alternatives before considering this product!