Profile for Julliver > Reviews

Content by Julliver

Julliver (uk)

Canon FS200 Camcorder - Red (41x Advanced Zoom,2.7 inch Widescreen Colour LCD)
Canon FS200 Camcorder - Red (41x Advanced Zoom,2.7 inch Widescreen Colour LCD)

1.0 out of 5 stars impossible to use the images, 28 Jan. 2012
It's my first camera, Ok I chose a low price one, because I am new to it.
I can watch the videos thanks to vlc, but I can not make my film because of the recording format: .MOD.
They are few editing software that import it and they cost at least 50£.
This is Canon....
I cannot import the images on Imovie or on my wife PC.

If you have to check which format a camera record in, before buying one, it is a nightmare for everybody.
I will untrust canon for a while now.

HQ DVI and Audio Switch
HQ DVI and Audio Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars Good kit, 28 Jan. 2012
I am happy with it. I have a computer screen that is fed by my TV decoder and a DVD player both connected to a sound system.
The box is plastic and light , the color is grey, so it's not thought to be esthetic or design looking. When I want to watch TV i switch on my TV and the switch on TV position, when I want to switch my DVD player, I change to the DVD player position.
The only thing I could improve the box with, is having a sticker on each button (they are two on the front), to say for example button A, button B, so it is easier to remember which position is which (A = TV, B = DVD player, easier to remember than left/ right).
I also used it for a while with my DVD player on one side and a Wii on the other side, it works well, within the limitations of having a wii signal on a computer screen, that does not comes from this box.
Just letting you know that this kind of installation brings a lot of cables behind your screen. a nightmare if you are very picky on now your setty looks like.

Buffalo Linkstation Duo 1TB High Performance Multimedia Shared Raid Network Storage ( NAS )

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Raid 1 family memory centre, 8 Aug. 2010
I saw something similar in one of my friend's house a while ago and he told me: you like your memories, protect them descently with a good storage system. Additionaly I acquired a camera video which requires lots of computer memory space. So I decided to buy this one, because for me 500gb mirrored image is enough.

I don't know much about computers but I can get my way around. I set this 2 months ago. It's very easy to set up from my mac, although reading the manuals really helps (Primary folders need to be set up from the web admin tool). There is also help on internet forums.
It is plugged into my wireless router and works now wirelessly. I put all the pictures, videos and music of the family, and installed Picasa on the PC and the mac: The pictures can be accessed from any computer who is connected to my wifi quite quickly. Itunes is installed on both computers and I play it wirelessly then and share the library. It can be used with a playstation 3. converting CDs in mp3 in Itunes can take slightly longer than if I had the library directly in my mac.

The initial transfer of files (from your data) takes time (if done wirelessly like I did, like about 12 hours for 80gb) and can be problematic: the system does not accept certain characters in the folders names (" &" for example), so double check is required. Transfer maybe quicker with an ethernet cable (included in the box I believe)
The web admin tool is slow yes, but you really use it once every blue moon once you're set up, or to check your drives are OK. Apparently if something's wrong with the kit, there is red light showing in front of the box, cross my fingers, did not occured yet.

You can set some folders to be accessible from the web anywhere in the world (password protected), haven't use this for the moment.

The automatic power mode functions OK with my wife's computer : a PC windows XP, but I have not been able to make it work properly with mine (Mac OSX10.6), I will have to fiddle with it. (normally switches on when your computer is switched on, and normall switches off when your computer is switches off)
So I need to leave it on all the time..... (It is located not in an easy place, next to internet router, away from sight) that is why I put 4 stars.

Buffalo has now included a little piece of cable in the box with a switch to make it easier to power it off, but I have not give ta go yet, unsure if this OK.

another downpoint: 1TB is 2 x500 gb, you cannot upgrade to 2x 1gb: you will have to buy another machine, if you need more memory. I am prepared to spend the extra money in the future, and save money in the present....

Edifier C2 2.1 4pce Speaker System 2 x 6W Satellites + 18W Sub with amplifier
Edifier C2 2.1 4pce Speaker System 2 x 6W Satellites + 18W Sub with amplifier

5.0 out of 5 stars Late review, 8 Aug. 2010
I use this in conjunction with a tft monitor and a dvd player and my wii for my house. I have been very happy with the sound quality. Some time I told myself I should have bought a surround system, but then I remember the cost of it....
The remote is very good: I covered the main unit under a table with a tablecloth (don't cover it directly with a cloth) to forget about the orange light and red display and I can still use the remote to switch it on, switch input and adjust the sound. Very solid.
The woofer has a hole on one side only, which I am not sure if you can put it directly against a wall. The main unit could be a bit better engineered: it tends to fall easily (is it just me being clumsy) and I will surround it by books (it could be done with the satellites) to ensure it does not fall so much on its side. Anyway it's pretty solid so I am not so worried.

VGA cable for Playstation 3 and Nintendo Wii
VGA cable for Playstation 3 and Nintendo Wii
Offered by Sintech UK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cable for Wii, 8 Jan. 2010
After a lot of research, I decided to buy this cable to connect my Wii to my Dell monitor as I don't have TV.
it works it's great... and it's a lot cheaper that many other option I have been reading about.

Unfortunately on some games it leaves some black screens sometimes, for example on wii sports or Mariokart or Okami when you win or when there is a sudden change of image (when you fight or when you're busted by something), the screen gets black for one second, which is not a great deal for me, but can be annoying, especially on okami. I'll try to set up my Wii as advised on the comments to 480p and will advise you. (my dell monitor detects the type of signal on its own. For the rest of games it works a wonder (wii sports resort/ wii fit/ demos...).

Prey (Mac/DVD)
Prey (Mac/DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Shamanic Story, 8 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Prey (Mac/DVD) (Video Game)
I have bought this game 2 years ago, and I really like playing it.

The story is nice and the graphics are great. I enjoyed travelling in this environment, although sometimes there is too much blood and shooting... but I suppose it might be one of the softest FPS.

I am not a very good video gamer so it took me a bit (~ 3 weeks) to finish it,

I you are vey good at Doom and other FPS, maybe the first pass will be a bit too easy for you.
However there are several level of difficulty (I only went for the easest), which will make it more interesting. Ther are plenty of good ideas in the plot and in the way we play (ghost, walking on walls, space ship,...)
I just didn't understood very well how the life saving universe worked.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Adult Edition]: 832
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Adult Edition]: 832
by J. K. Rowling

3.0 out of 5 stars An End Finally, 8 Oct. 2009
I read this one in 3 days, fanatically. I'd say it is very entertaining and puts an end to the series. I put only 3 stars because it is very not a great book, but more like a popcorn movie, something you read in the train, and also it suffers from 2 previous books that were lengthy and introduced very disparate leads that this one manages to solve. Still there are strings that are a bit thick and not very plausible.