Profile for Shevonna > Reviews

Content by Shevonna

Shevonna

Knitwear defuzza from Sweater Stone. Made in USA from Natural & Recycled Materials
Offered by UniStore

4.0 out of 5 stars Messy but mostly effective; I think I preferred my Fuzz-Off..., 24 Jun 2012
I purchased both a Fuzz Off Lint Remover Fluff Removing Machine and this sweater stone because I had no idea which of the two would be better - reviews were mixed between extremes for the machine and generally great for the stone - and I also thought that they might each be better for different fabrics.
I found the sweater stone messy so I used the Fuzz-Off to begin with, but when I broke the machine (totally my own fault) I tried the stone again. It has done the job very well on a medium-knit cardigan, albeit with a lot of fluff and black grit everywhere.
I would probably not use it on more delicate fabrics as the use of it involves quite a lot of pulling which I fear might damage them. Also, at one point I used it on a very chunky knit cardigan and all it did was fluff up the wool! Perhaps with more work on that cardi the fluff might have gone, but from the amount of effort I had to expend on a small section I figured it was not worth it and went back to the Fuzz-Off. To be fair, the machine also had trouble with this particular cardigan, but at least it removed most of the pills rather than fluffing them up!!
Overall the sweater stone is very effective on the right fabrics (give it a go on an inconspicuous bit first) but I would avoid delicate knits. It does leave behind a lot of mess and you have to be careful with the black grit as it is apparently an irritant, so do be careful with where you use it. I probably would not buy another one to be honest; when I get to the point that my jumpers need another de-pilling session it is more likely that I'll replace the Fuzz-Off machine instead. Sorry!

NEWLink Laptop Cooling Mat
NEWLink Laptop Cooling Mat

5.0 out of 5 stars A cooler laptop, PHEW!, 14 Jun 2012
I use my laptop for many hours at a time and recently it (and its adaptor) started getting VERY hot which had me worried. Unfortunately I cannot get the base off to get to the fan to clean it, so I thought I would see what was available to keep the poor thing cool. Well, here we are! One cooling mat in place, and the heat is not building up to ridiculous levels any more. My laptop vent is at the side, so there is no issue with that. I also bought the Belkin "Cushdesk" laptop cushion (because using actual cushions is not ideal) and this has a hard top with anti-slip bar. Although my laptop is now *slightly* less secure on the mat/cushdesk combo, it is not to a problematic level for me - the anti-slip bar still works enough.
FYI: I did have to send the first cooling mat back because it was leaking, but I had absolutely NO problem getting a replacement from the seller. As soon as they received the faulty one they sent out a new one. Brilliant!

Fuzz Off Lint Remover Fluff Removing Machine
Fuzz Off Lint Remover Fluff Removing Machine
Offered by One Click Wonder

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant on finer knits, not so good on some chunky ones., 30 May 2012
This is a great little gadget that has effectively removed all the pills from several fine-knit jumpers and cardigans. I also used it successfully on a slightly chunkier knit, but one cardigan with a fluffier wool and a very chunky knit was much harder work. However, I also bought a sweater stone and that just fluffed up the wool! At least the Fuzz Off removed the pills, it just took a bit longer and the result is not quite as good as with the finer knits.
Some bad points include that the Fuzz Off does look cheap. The plastic components fit together well but not very securely although, conversely, the battery hatch is very hard to remove. My machine is very "trigger happy" in that it starts whirring at the slightest touch of the button, which makes me jump but is not an issue otherwise. Lastly, I did have to unclog the blades quite a few times, but the tone of the whirring changes a little when it's not working as effectively which is a good indicator to check and unclog/empty.
A previous review mentions that the blades dulled very quickly - I have De-Fuzzed 7 jumpers and cardigans and there has been no noticeable change in the machine so far. The batteries are also carrying on far longer than I expected.
Overall, this cheap and cheerful little machine is doing what it's supposed to do, at less than a fiver. Bargain!

Belkin Laptop Cushdesk for laptops up to 18.4" in Brown and Pink
Belkin Laptop Cushdesk for laptops up to 18.4" in Brown and Pink

5.0 out of 5 stars Brown/Pink, but does exactly what it says on the tin!, 30 May 2012
I ordered the Cushdesk to replace my usual laptop surface - actual cushions - because my laptop has started to heat up rather a lot and I am aware that cushions are not ideal.
The Cushdesk is great! A perfect size for my standard laptop, it has a good, hard surface with an anti-slip bar that prevents my laptop from moving around, and the cushion is just the right consistency. My laptop is still heating up a lot, but I am happy that the vents are definitely not being blocked now. It feels secure on the Cushdesk, and I now use a cushion/Cushdesk combination to get the laptop to a comfortable level on my lap (I often sit with my legs crossed, "tailor-style").
The only thing about the Cushdesk is something that other buyers have commented on; it is a sort of GREY-BROWN and pink rather than black/pink. However, the colours work with each other and I was aware of this possibility by reading previous reviews.

5 Moreinks Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges to replace Canon PGI-5 / CLI-8
5 Moreinks Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges to replace Canon PGI-5 / CLI-8
Offered by More Inks

5.0 out of 5 stars Only used larger black ink so far, but so far so good!, 20 Feb 2012
I have read horror stories about cartridges leaking on arrival, not being recognised by the printer or the ink being of poor quality. NOT SO FOR ME!
The package arrived with all inks intact, no signs of leakage. I had to use the larger black cartridge straight away and this was to print out a photo-quality Valentine's card. Absolutely brilliant result! I certainly have no complaints. I'm sorry that I cannot say anything about the rest of the colours but by the time I have to replace them I probably won't be able to leave feedback...

Gelert Men's Verse Full Zip Hoody - Anthracite, L - 52
Gelert Men's Verse Full Zip Hoody - Anthracite, L - 52

3.0 out of 5 stars Very thin material and the zips are BRIGHT GREEN!, 15 Jan 2012
The hoodie was not at all what I was expecting, although to be fair it does look *mostly* like its picture. The main difference I can see between them is that the immediate surrounding plastic/fabric to the zips is bright fluorescent green like the zips, making them even more prominent. I didn't even notice that they were green on the photo! Otherwise, the fabric is very thin. Quite difficult to tell from a photo, but something in the description would have been helpful.
I am sure it would be exactly what someone wants from a hoodie, but that someone is not my BF!

Black Cab Wisdom: Knowledge from the Back Seat
Black Cab Wisdom: Knowledge from the Back Seat
by Mark Solomon

4.0 out of 5 stars A gift, but was too curious not to read it first!, 15 Jan 2012
This little book was bought as a gift but I thought I would make sure that the quotes were, indeed, funny or at least entertaining. Well, you have to check these things, don't you?!
The book is sturdy and colourful, and the quotes are indeed funny and/or wise. The only issue I have with it is that there could be MORE quotes! Please?

Wax Lyrical RHS Large Wax Filled Glass Mulberry
Wax Lyrical RHS Large Wax Filled Glass Mulberry

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks and smells good but was a gift so not used by me!, 15 Jan 2012
I bought this lovely-looking candle as a gift and, as such, I have not seen it in use (yet). However, I did open the box to make sure that the colour was what I hoped for (to match their living room!) and I was impressed by the lovely look and gorgeous smell. If I didn't already have a plethora of scented candles, this would be on my wish-list!