Profile for Anna > Reviews

Content by Anna

Anna "Gardening enthusiast" (Beverley, United Kingdom)

The Buzz about Bees: Biology of a Superorganism
The Buzz about Bees: Biology of a Superorganism
by Jürgen Tautz

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant reading, not only for the summer, 20 Aug. 2008
I was absolutely fascinated by Juergen Tautz's book "The Buzz about Bees - Biology of a Superorganism"! The author is an extraordinary talent in presenting excellent top-notch scientific research not only to other members of the scientific world. In fact, Juergen Tautz is able to communicate in a brilliant and entertaining way both his profound and detailed knowledge about the life of bees as well as his stunning new concept of the bees as a super-organism with mammal-like characteristics to a wide range of people. Since this book is so well written and science is made so easily understandable, I could imagine it is of interest to readers with very different backgrounds, ranging from a general interest in biology to a more specific interest in animal behaviour and bee keeping, or even garden designers like me.
From now on, my understanding of the aesthetic value of flowers will forever be linked to the immense ecological importance of their "visitors", the bees, since they are responsible for the evolution of a huge variety of flowers that exist on our planet. A fact, we generally are not aware of when admiring a beautiful bouquet.
I have become especially aware of the fact that the co-evolution of bees and flowers is so closely linked to our own evolution on earth! Consequently, our own (human) survival on earth is strongly dependent on the survival of this "super-organism" as a main pollinator. A fact which gains even more importance in times of global warming (which may weaken a bee hive since bees cannot cope with spring-like temperatures in the middle of winter causing them to leave their bee hive too early) and dying bee hives in some parts of the world.
In addition to this, the detailed information about the behaviour of bees, the communication between them, the innovative concept of the bee-hive as a super-organism, the architecture of a bee hive etc. is supported by the most beautiful photographs which provide the book with a high aesthetic value.
In my opinion, Juegen Tautz's book should be a "must" for anyone who likes to get fascinated by nature's wonders! It provided the most wonderful summer reading for me.