Profile for jaynec > Reviews

Sound Asleep Pillow
Sound Asleep Pillow
Offered by UK-Bedding
Price: 17.55

2.0 out of 5 stars necessity is the mother of invention SAVE MONEY, USE SOCKS, 18 Jan 2013
As a chronic insomniac I was thrilled when I saw these for sale and immediately bought one. For two nights it was bliss and then on the 3rd night it stopped working. I was bitterly disappointed as it's such a good idea. I didn't want to buy another and risk the same thing happening and I looked around for an alternative. There are speakers that slip inside a pillow which seemed just as good but then I had a brainwave. I took my existing, very cheap ipod earphones together with my ipod and put them in a pair of soft socks upon which I rest my weary head. This works just as well as the speaker pillow and didn't even cost anything as they were old (clean) socks. SAVE MONEY - USE SOCKS.

An Ice Surprise for Muddy (Muddy Waters)
An Ice Surprise for Muddy (Muddy Waters)
by D. H. Clacher
Price: 3.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, lovely stories., 11 Jan 2013
Some stories just excel themselves in gentle kindness about the subject and the world in general. These stories do just that. They are lovely to read and lovely for children to hear. As a doting gran who was once a doting mum, I would recommend them to everyone who loves to read to children.

2 x Very Long Bull Pizzle 70 cm
2 x Very Long Bull Pizzle 70 cm
Offered by EXPRESS PET SUPPLIES
Price: 7.54

3.0 out of 5 stars A little inaccurate., 28 May 2012
Pizzles described as being 70-80cm. I bought 10 altogether so I expected them to average 75cm. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation. However they were all only just 70cm and had been sawn to that length with great precision. I think this makes the listing rather misleading. They did arrive shortly after being ordered so that is a definite plus.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2012 4:03 PM BST

I'm Wide Awake It's Morning
I'm Wide Awake It's Morning
Offered by nagiry
Price: 9.60

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely listen, 18 Mar 2012
Some cds make life a bit nicer, this is one of them. Easy to listen to without being 'easy listening'. Some of the lyrics are interesting and complex. Give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

Miserere [Kings College Choir]
Miserere [Kings College Choir]
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 16 Feb 2012
The title says it all. Some music makes the world a nicer place to be in and this is some of it.

Ordinary Thunderstorms
Ordinary Thunderstorms
by William Boyd
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars A literary souffle, 28 Oct 2011
This review is from: Ordinary Thunderstorms (Paperback)
For most of this book I could overlook the implausibility of the plot. A man sleeping rough in a business suit doesn't seem to feel the cold nor does his suit appear to become rumpled or smelly and for the first half of of the book that was all that had to be overlooked. But then it goes on; A man working as a hospital porter with a gross salary of 10,500 seems to manage to afford a lifestyle way beyond that salary. A man arrested for firearms offences is sprung by people in high power for inexplicable reasons. A bassett hound does things that bassett hounds can't do. A church run by a nutter for nutters opens an orphanage seemingly with no investigation by social services and then dispenses children without even taking a phone number, and a police woman starts a relationship with a hospital porter wearing ill fitting, charity shop suits. I could go on and on and maybe I'm being too critical but this novel stretches credibility way beyond breaking point. The ending just collapses in a mass of implausible ends cannot be tied up because they are so implausible.

Birds, Beasts and Relatives
Birds, Beasts and Relatives
by Gerald Durrell

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read, 6 Feb 2011
This book, as with Durrell's other Corfu books, brings some real joy to life. Wonderful descriptive language that makes his environment come to life. I've been reading this book to my mother who is in a nursing home and it's one of the few things that have managed to keep her interest and make her smile.