Profile for Rosalind Montmorency > Reviews

Content by Rosalind Montm...

Rosalind Montmorency

Juliet, Naked
Juliet, Naked
by Nick Hornby

2.0 out of 5 stars forgettable, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Juliet, Naked (Paperback)
Reading this novel felt like such a disappointment - not because it was atrociously bad or appalling or disturbing, but because it was so mediocre, a long way from being memorable. Reading it, I found myself in a state of perpetual expectation, expecting it to get better and for something - in the next chapter perhaps, or the one after that - to make it worthwhile. Sadly, this never happened for me. There just wasn't much to hang on to as a reader, close to nothing to make the story or the characters interesting, or even likable. And I'm not saying that a measure of a good novel or a story is how likable the characters are, but considering how heavily this novel relies on characters (Juliet, Naked isn't anything if not a novel built on characters) I feel that Hornby, in this instance, did not manage to breathe enough life into them.

Having liked all his other works I've read (I liked About a Boy and some of his non-fiction, High Fidelity and A Long Way Down not as much but I still found them enjoyable), I was predisposed to like this one as well. So it's not the case that I do not like his style (nor do I think this book deviated too much from his usual style). Perhaps this just isn't among the best things he's written.

African Textiles: Colour and Creativity Across a Continent
African Textiles: Colour and Creativity Across a Continent
by John Gillow

5.0 out of 5 stars A great source of inspiration on traditional textiles, 3 Jan. 2013
As a textile design student, I bought this book as a source of inspiration after leafing through it at my local bookshop, and I have been very pleased with my purchase. A wide range of different textiles are shown in beautiful colour images, and there is enough text to accompany the images. For me, the book has a perfect balance of pictures and information - it is informative on it's subject matter as well as aesthetically pleasing. The textiles chosen for this book are from different regions in Africa and represent a range of techniques, giving a good overview of traditional textiles from Africa. This book changed my ideas on textiles from Africa and introduced me to a wonderful new source of inspiration. Being from Northern Europe, I wasn't very familiar with African arts and crafts to begin with, and my preconceptions were largely based on the African influences I had seen in Western art and fashion. I was happy to get my hands on a book that showcases original fabrics from this region.

I find no fault with this book, on the contrary, it is simply one of the best book on textiles I own. The images are great quality and colours seem accurate, and I love the tactile quality of the images as well - in some photos you can actually see the texture of the fabric and even some wear and tear on some older fabrics. I have found it useful in my studies, as I find myself going back to it again and again.