Profile for Mr. J. Mason > Reviews

Zebra 14cm Stainless Steel Billy can
Zebra 14cm Stainless Steel Billy can
Offered by The Campfire Cooking Company

5.0 out of 5 stars billy can but plastic can't., 13 Sep 2011
This billy can is very well made and surprisingly light considering it is stainless steel. The 14cm size is great for 2 or even 3 people.I'm not sure that I will ever be confident enough to use the bowl to cook something seperate in as I can't see how you would lift it out once its contents were ready. It lacks any kind of means to lift it out of the billy can and unless you used a knife blade to get under the lip to lift it up and then a pair of pliers or something,but even then the lip is so small I'm not sure the pliers would get a good grip.My fear is that I would end up spilling the contents all over the place. My only other gripe is the plastic lid lock. It works well enough but I'm worried that it will melt if the flames of the fire get up the outside of the can,obviously you don't lock the can while your cooking so maybe it's meant to be removed before you start cooking.If so then it's a very fiddly job to get it off and even more so to get it back on.When I removed it I had the feeling it was going to break as I tried to get it back on,and I didn't get the feeling that it was ok to continually take it off and put it back on.If I am wrong about that then I would really appreciate the manufacturer getting in touch to tell me so. As another person wrote, it would have been better made out of metal.Apart from those issues, I am very pleased with the product and I'm sure I will get many years of service out of it(albeit while replacing the plastic locks occasionally).

The Complete Book of Knots
The Complete Book of Knots
by Geoffrey Budworth

5.0 out of 5 stars knot a problem anymore, 13 April 2011
What a great book,I have always wanted to be able to tie knots, (is that weird).The amount of times I've needed to tie something on to a trailer, or tying things on to my bike, or in the garden (or the kids,haha only joking),now I have a book to show me.It is a very easy book to follow, although I must admit there are one or two that I don't seem to understand,so I'll get some rope and try to do those ones, and see if a practical exercise reveals the bit I can't seem to grasp. If like me, you're a beginner in the art of knots, then this book will teach you a great deal. I read someone else's review and he/she said it isn't a complete book of knots, I'm sure that's true, but for me, for now, it's plenty to be getting on with.I think this book is well presented,well illustrated and well worth the money.I love the historical references too and I never realised,knots are being invented or improved upon all the time,fascinating! It's a hardback aswell so its going to last.

LUPO High Power 1MW Green Beam Laser Pointer Pen - Batteries Included
LUPO High Power 1MW Green Beam Laser Pointer Pen - Batteries Included

5.0 out of 5 stars murder on the batteries, 13 April 2011
I really love this laser pen.I have had a lot of fun with my kids in the garden at night with it,(we live in rural scotland),you can see the beam as you point it up to the sky,we pointed out planets,stars and constellations,and also when you point it at far away stuff like trees,barns etc., the laser reaches whatever you point at.The kids were very impressed,especially when we had a little bonfire and shone the laser through the smoke!!!Unfortunately all of our fun had cost me five sets of batteries(in less than 2-3 hours of constant use ) and as I didn't have any more,our fun came to an abrupt end.My grievance with this product therefore, is the amount of power it uses,if you are only going to use it occasionally, then it could be ok.But if you really want to use it, then it could cost you a small fortune in batteries.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2011 12:01 PM BST

1 x Pair Venitex Top Quality Cowhide Leather Grey Docker Work Safety Gloves - One Size
Offered by Tiger Safety

3.0 out of 5 stars cheap but not cheerful, 13 April 2011
At first glance these gloves really look the part,its only when you try to work in them that you realise they are all wrong.They are way too big and clumsy and the fingers are not cut to each finger size, so the little finger is just as big as the index finger,the middle finger is bigger but didn't have to be.After a short while the lining starts to crumple and come away from the glove and it becomes difficult to get your finger into both the liner and the glove at the same time,something i found very annoying, as it makes the glove so uncomfortable.Maybe there are people out there with hands that would fit this glove, if you are one of them please make your way to the nearest anthropology department of your local museum!!!

Trans-X Adjustable Black Alloy Pannier Rack
Trans-X Adjustable Black Alloy Pannier Rack
Offered by bikes4life limited

5.0 out of 5 stars trans-x pannier, 3 May 2010
I really like this rack. It is sturdy and well made but not heavy. It was very easy to attach,and since doing so a couple of years ago it has never needed any attention. I would definitely recommend it.

Mountain Ridge Guru Boy's Mountain Bike - 24-Inch
Mountain Ridge Guru Boy's Mountain Bike - 24-Inch

3.0 out of 5 stars mountain ridge, 3 May 2010
The first thing I noticed about this bike was how inferior the seat, pedals, and tyres are. All of the components are old school, the headset, seat clamps, the bottom bracket etc. Then I tried to pick it up! It weighs a lot,their is no way my son can pick it up. Putting it together was easy enough as all of the tricky stuff involving gears was already done. My son likes it and apart from the weight, has no complaints. But I cant help wishing I had bought a second hand bike of better quality. If you can afford better then do not buy this.