Profile for Ann C > Reviews

A New Look at Crochet: Using Basic Stitches to Create Modern Designs
A New Look at Crochet: Using Basic Stitches to Create Modern Designs
by Elyse Sommer

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to freeform crochet, 18 Sep 2014
Great for anyone interested in freeform crochet. This book goes from explaining some very basic stitches to giving plenty of ideas and inspiration to make designs of one's own. There are no actual patterns for particular designs - but patterns are not the essence of freeform. It was written in 1975, so allowances may need to be made for a certain amount of datedness, but I don't think that detracts from the value of the book. It's unfortunate that there are not more colour illustrations. But I recommend this highly to anyone interested in embarking on freeform crochet.

The Crochet Workbook (Workbooks)
The Crochet Workbook (Workbooks)
by Sylvia Cosh

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for crochet techniques and inspiration!, 4 July 2014
This is easily the best book I have seen on basic techniques which lead to more advanced creativity. It contains no patterns, but plenty of inspiration! I would recommend it to anyone interested in crochet, from beginners to more advanced. It appears to now be out of print - I'm so glad I bought it before it disappears completely.

The Anchor Book of Hardanger Embroidery (The Anchor Book Series)
The Anchor Book of Hardanger Embroidery (The Anchor Book Series)
by Sue Whiting

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little book!, 14 April 2014
This book contains absolutely everything you need to know to start doing hardanger embroidery. It tells you what fabric, thread and needle to use, gives instructions for 43 different stitches, details many patterns in which these stitches can be used, and ends with 12 projects. It couldn't be better for a newcomer to this type of embroidery.

Just What Kind of Mother Are You?
Just What Kind of Mother Are You?

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down!, 14 Mar 2014
This book has an easy conversational style which makes it pleasant to read. Whenever we think we're getting closer to the truth there's another twist to the story. I bought this book yesterday evening and have just finished it - I found it difficult to put down. I find the characters realistic and believable, warts and all. It's an intriguing story. I shall be buying this author's next book.

You're Mine Now
You're Mine Now

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as his previous book, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: You're Mine Now (Kindle Edition)
I looked forward to getting this book, as I enjoyed Koppel's previous one (She's Never Coming Back) a lot. This one has a good story idea which is reasonably well dealt with. But I didn't find it very compelling: I wanted to finish it, but I wasn't excited about turning the page. The characterisations were fairly ordinary, and I feel the writer could have made more of them. The ending held no surprises.

Breville Pro-Kitchen Glass Blender
Breville Pro-Kitchen Glass Blender

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 Jan 2014
I'm surprised at the 5* reviews here, as I find that this blender is simply not powerful enough. I thought that at 800 watts it would work very well, but I've found that when I've added chopped dates, even briefly soaked, there are still chunks left. I also initially thought the wide base was an advantage, but I've found that the blades are too short to effectively chop up the food. I wish I hadn't bought it.

The Cruellest Game
The Cruellest Game
by Hilary Bonner

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite harrowing, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Cruellest Game (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book and found it something of a page-turner, but don't read it if you're feeling low as it won't lift your spirits. Some reviewers have said they don't like the main character; I don't think she's intended to be particularly liked. The story was interesting, with layer upon layer of intrigue added on. There are various situations within the novel that are, I think, a little difficult to believe, although I won't go into detail as I don't want to spoil it for other readers. The twist at the end, though, I thought was insufficiently prepared for: I felt there should have been earlier comments/happenings which could have made it more easily believable.
I will, however, buy more of this writer's books.

Shatter (Joe O'loughlin 3)
Shatter (Joe O'loughlin 3)
by Michael Robotham

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written and worth reading, 26 Sep 2013
Initially I thought the story was going to be implausible, but the writer convinced me otherwise. This book is very well written and the characters are interesting and believable. The main character is a clinical psychologist, and his insights are described so well that I suspect Michael Robotham has a background in psychology himself: if not, then he certainly has a good understanding of human nature. I shall read more books by this author (in fact, I've just ordered one).

She's Not Coming Home
She's Not Coming Home

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay book, 14 Sep 2013
This book is no great work of literature: it's okay, but only okay. There were too many detailed route descriptions and too many uninformative and boring conversations, and this could have been presented as a much shorter story. Another reviewer compares this story with that in Linwood Barclay's 'Never Look Away': a somewhat similar story, but it's written far, far better. I'm afraid I won't be reading any more by this writer. Read Linwood Barclay: he's a much better writer.

Summerhill - A Radical Approach to Education (Pelican)
Summerhill - A Radical Approach to Education (Pelican)
by A.S. Neill

5.0 out of 5 stars All parents should read this., 19 Aug 2013
I first read this more than 30 years ago when I was bringing up my two small children. It made a big impression on me. A.S. Neill advocates bringing up children with respect, love and freedom. His school, which still exists today after his death and is run by his daughter, is run according to his principles of equality between pupils and staff, and gives pupils autonomy over their own lives. All rules are made democratically, with pupils and staff having equal votes. Now that my daughter has children of her own I have bought a copy for her to read. This book is truly essential reading for parents or anyone involved with children. The school's website makes interesting reading too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4