Profile for mfdb > Reviews

Suite Francaise
by Irène Némirovsky
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 April 2016
This review is from: Suite Francaise (Audio CD)
Captures l'exode from all different angles and walks of society except for the government whose role remains obscure.

XXL Extra Extra Large Pet Dog Hi Viz Flourescent Safety Vest
XXL Extra Extra Large Pet Dog Hi Viz Flourescent Safety Vest
Offered by Nubiru

4.0 out of 5 stars not sturdy, 1 Jan. 2014
Initially I was annoyed because I'd read all the reviews and saw that xl would not fit my labrador so I ordered xxl and received xl.
true it did not fit the dog and it was around his ankles within seconds. the seller responded to my email immediately and kindly offered to replace them without charge. I've since given the small one to another pooch. These vests are vital here since it's hunting season for French "hunters" who sit in a row on chairs with their guns and schnapps at the ready for the wild boars that someone else flushes out. My chocolate lab is wild boar sized. The vest is not sturdy and I'll have to reinforce it and repair it if I want to prevent poochie from ending up as some starving family's new year's fare, along with the oysters. Probably best to reinforce the closing tags before your Labrador breaks through the ice puddles and takes a cooling mud dip. I wish I had.

The Whole Woman
The Whole Woman
by Dr. Germaine Greer

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it and Weep, 5 Mar. 2002
This review is from: The Whole Woman (Paperback)
Book review: Gemaine Greer, The Whole Woman
"You've come a long way baby!" Remember the cigarette ad from the 70s? To hear Germaine Greer tell it we haven't, unless progress is having won the right to smoke thin cigarettes in public and take our chemotherapy like a man.
Since writing The Female Eunuch, Dr. Greer is still angry after these thirty-two years--with good reason. In The Whole Woman, Greer carefully and wittily lays out excruciating truths. Women still earn 60% of a man's salary and shoulder most of the household tasks including child rearing. When fathers abscond it's the single impoverished mothers who bear the blame for rearing the maladapted children that contribute to the ills of society.
Greer also states that the incidence of rape, sexual harassment and domestic violence is much higher than it was thirty years ago. In all cultures, women (especially when pregnant) continue to be insulted, threatened, molested, beaten, raped and murdered by men with impunity.
So just how far have we come? Are the starved, hobbled, high-heeled, battered celebrity babes with their lifted faces, tucked tummies and liposuctioned hips our new role models? Has boob inflation replaced bra burning as the symbol of liberation?
Erudite, witty and unapologetic The Whole Woman is better than a shot of HRT. Read it and weep.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 28, 2011 7:28 PM GMT