Profile for SlayerKat > Reviews

Content by SlayerKat

SlayerKat "Desperate Housewife" (London, England)
(VINE VOICE)

Offered by Helen's Goodies
Price: 4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for horror genre fans and Anime alike, 8 Nov 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thoroughly enjoyed this retelling of the vampire lore with anime twist. I'm a massive fan of vampire mythology but not a huge watcher of anime (although I do appreciate the Studio Gibli films) but I had to give this series a watch to see what it was like. Fortunately it was highly entertaining. There is a new twist on the vampire lore (I won't give spoilers) and the storyline and background are intriguing. The cartoon and cinematography is pretty impressive. As a relative newcomer to Manga I can only liken it to watching a cartoon comic book come to life. Some of the "action" sequences are actually quite still but this seems to work. Hellsing really reminded me of Legend of the Overfiend which I saw a few years ago. The styling is similar. As this is rated 18 it's definitely not one for the kids. I did think how bad can a cartoon be to make it justifiable as an 18 but Hellsing is quite gruesome and sexually explicit. The only other comment I can make is that the English translation is quite funny. The version I saw was set in England and did make me chuckle a bit as our police officers do not dress like they do in Hellsing! Anyway, putting that little inaccuracies aside, it's still very watchable and I would find myself watching it again, sharing it with my friends and seeking out further installments.

The Camping Pocket Bible (Pocket Bibles)
The Camping Pocket Bible (Pocket Bibles)
by Caroline Mills
Price: 9.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Take it camping, 3 Nov 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book for my husband for his first camping trip. I have the Christmas Pocket Bible The Christmas Pocket Bible: Every Christmas rule of thumb at your fingertips (Pocket Bibles) by the same publisher which I rate quite highly so figured this book would be handy too. My husband relies heavily on his phone for looking up stuff and using the internet and I was worried that he might get camped somewhere where he couldn't use wifi. I hoped having this little handy book as a back up would be a great idea. In the end he didn't need it after all but I think it was reassuring to know he had it on him for reference. With tips on how to light a fire and pitch a tent, think it's an invaluable addition to pack. However size wise it's not an ideal book. It's hardback and with a dustcover which is a bit unnecessary. A camping book should be paperback and with a waterproof cover - but I can see the publisher has tried to keep the series of books consistant by keeping the books the same. Admittedly this book is not going to be for the hard and fast serious camper but it's ideal for novices, glampers and anyone dipping their toes into the camping.

Bundlebean Go! 5-in-1 Waterproof / Fleece Cover (Blue)
Bundlebean Go! 5-in-1 Waterproof / Fleece Cover (Blue)
Price: 25.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic all purpose foot cover, 30 Oct 2011
I'm so pleased with this cover. It fits my Maclaren Major (special needs) buggy which is fantastic because it's such good value for money. The fleece inner really keeps baby warm and the waterproof outer is great for light showers to keep baby dry. My son doesn't try to kick it off either because he loves it. He really likes the soft hand warmer pockets! Would really recommend.

Prince of Dorkness: Diary of a Wimpy Vampire
Prince of Dorkness: Diary of a Wimpy Vampire
by Tim Collins
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars This book went down well, 30 Aug 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this book for my 9 year old son who loves vampires as much as me. I made the slight mistake of thinking it was something to do with Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Book 1) but as my son pointed out to me it's by a different authoer - dur. The story is about a teenage vampire who lives in a coven in our world. The age is slightly higher but this didn't seem to put my son off reading it - I think there are some adult themes running through it. The vampire boy has a girlfriend and can't have babies (apparantly). Although I don't think it's quite as deep as the latter Twilight books. My son loved reading it. He read it in two nights staying up. I love to encourage my kids to read as much as possible so it's wonderful seeing my son tuck into a book. My son has since been retelling me all sorts of facts he's 'learned' from his vampire book and is now nagging me to get another one in the series so that's a Christmas present sorted.

Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
by Aneeta Patel
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for new knitters, 22 Aug 2011
So glad I read the reviews and purchased Knitty Gritty. Was having a great deal of trouble following patterns from books I'd borrowed from the library and another new knitter's book I purchased which was aimed at children. Knitty Gritty feels like it's aimed more at grown ups and isn't patronising or childish. The patterns are super easy to follow and I have managed to finish several projects and feel really proud of the results. I'm particularly thrilled with the bootees which I even managed to adapt to fit my daughter's baby dolls (see customer's photos on Amazon). There is also something appealing about this book because it has a nice 'feel'. The cover is bright and charming and the size is perfect for popping into my knitting bag and transporting around for a bit of "eXtreme knitting" in various locations. The pictures inside are also beautiful photos of real finished products and everything about the book has a modern up to date feel. Knitting has become a real pleasure for me and it's thanks in part to patterns like these that are making me feel like a genuine knitter. I'm two thirds of the way through the child's cardigan which seemed like an extraordinary and daunting prospect at the beginning but as I'm approaching the end of it, I feel really pleased with the result. I hope after finishing the rest of the projects in this book that I may be able to tackle something even more challenging. Also the authoer Aneeta seems like she really genuinely wants to help everyone knit. She has certainly inspired me!

Cook Smart Vegetarian (Weight Watchers)
Cook Smart Vegetarian (Weight Watchers)
by VARIOUS
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for veggies, 22 Aug 2011
I'm so thrilled with this book. It's absolutely worth the 5 stars. I've always enjoyed cooking WeightWatchers recipes even though I don't necessarily follow the diet. Their recipes are easy to follow, witih clear instructions, simple ingredients and beautiful full page colour photos to show what your dinner (should) look like! Having been vegetarian for the last 18 months I wasn't cooking as many WW recipes and I was missing these simple to make meals so was really pleased when this book was published. It's packed to the brim with gorgeous vegetarian meal recipes from starters, to brunches, to dinners and light meals. At the moment I'm just cooking my way through each page. We've had some hits and some misses but mostly all good meals. Not every recipe has a photo to go with it which is a bit annoying but at least it means they've made more room for more recipes. Would highly recommend this book to new vegetarians who need inspiration to cook something a bit different.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2013 9:43 AM BST

Talisman Design Cherry Chomper Cherry Pitter
Talisman Design Cherry Chomper Cherry Pitter
Price: 13.50

5.0 out of 5 stars genius, 15 Aug 2011
Length:: 0:24 Mins

How the Cherry Chomper chomps cherries
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2011 10:18 PM GMT

Knitted Fast Food (Twenty to Make)
Knitted Fast Food (Twenty to Make)
by Susie Johns
Price: 4.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 21 July 2011
This is a fab book. Love it. The patterns are wonderful and the results great even for a beginner like me. The instructions are clear and precise and easy to follow. The only thing I would have suggested is putting a glossery of terms in the book but I suppose the author assumes you can already knit before picking up this book. I had only done a few scarves and hats before attempt these patterns so really pleased with my first attempts (see pics)

Barry M Instant Nail Effects Black Magic 10 ml
Barry M Instant Nail Effects Black Magic 10 ml
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value, 19 Jun 2011
I absolutely love this paint. What a great solution as a fraction of the cost of the original crackle paint. I used it straight away without instruction and achieved the perfect desired result. Works well over pink and blue so far. Looking forward to trying with other colours. It dries quickly. Would suggest using a top coat of clear varnish to finish. Everyone thinks I've had my nails done professionally. Hard to believe cost less than a fiver!

Sennheiser HD 35 On-Ear TV Open Dynamic TV Mini Headphones
Sennheiser HD 35 On-Ear TV Open Dynamic TV Mini Headphones
Price: 22.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Headphones = Peace, 16 Jun 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got these headphones for my husband so he could watch his Formula 1 Grand Prix in peace. He plugs them into the telly and then I don't hear another peep out of him. It's great because he can watch his programme and hear all the commentaries/sound whilst me and the kids can get on with doing normal loud stuff! The remote control on the wire is a nice feature but slightly redundant when using a remote control anyway. Would recommend anyway.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20