Profile for G. Ward > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Highlander Outdoor Seat - Blue
Highlander Outdoor Seat - Blue
Offered by Transatlantic Trading Company

2.0 out of 5 stars Acceptabley well made. Not good if tall. Product received not exactly as pictured, 27 May 2012
I am familiar with Highlander for their good quality rucksacks and this inexpensive seat isn't too far off that standard too.

It is suffiencently padded with rigid stiffening battens running internally down the sides. There is a small mesh pocket on the back too so that as well as carrying the seat itself it can be used as a small bag.

In use the seat unfortaunately just doesn't work for me. I am 6ft3in tall, the seat back is just 39cm high which leaves too much of my back unsupported meaning I can never truly relax my back, I have to keep some tension in my back muscles otherwise I just tip out of the back of the seat. This is quite uncomfortable and largely defeats the object of having a such a seat in the first place. This makes it practically useless for me.

The seat I received was not exactly as the one pictured. The seat as pictured where the bracing straps connect at the end of the seat and top of the back would have been better for providing more support. The bracing straps on the seat I received attach almost a quarter of the way down the seat and back and this compromises the support offered. Not a good design change in my opinion.

GENUINE NOKIA USB OTG CA-157 CABLE ADAPTER FOR N8 C6-01
GENUINE NOKIA USB OTG CA-157 CABLE ADAPTER FOR N8 C6-01
Offered by CIVIC TELECOM ONLINE UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as pictured but it DOES WORK, 25 May 2012
The product supplied was not as pictured. This is causing a lot of unnecessary confusion.

As I took mine from the packaging I also first thought "oh no they've sent the wrong cable" The micro USB plug was not as I was expecting, it is rectangular with square corners, no chamfers or notches at the ends as we usually find on plugs designed for Nokia phones but it does fit my Nokia E6 and it does work perfectly.

So the micro USB plug does have a non standard appearance but it does fit perfectly well into the socket on my Nokia. The phone recognises the cable as attached by flashing the USB connection icon and after a while, if you haven't connected a flash drive or something, my phone displays a dialogue box inviting you to connect a device.

Good working product but a lot more clarity needed on the product description.

Hama Handy Mini Tripod
Hama Handy Mini Tripod

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective., 14 May 2012
This review is from: Hama Handy Mini Tripod (Camera)
I bought this clamp and tripod combination just for the clamp.

The mini tripod is typical of a type banged out by the zillion in the far east and appearing all over the place with various names on it. It is quite adequate for holding lightweight cameras in place for whatever your purpose may be.

The clamp itself is plastic but sufficently sturdy for the job at hand (holding my mobile telephone) and it operates on a vice like principle where one of the "jaws" is moved back and forth relative to the other by means of a screw adjuster.

My telephone is such that being held at the sides in a U shape by the clamp was the best approach although the jaws do fold down to offer other orientations to hold your device. The jaws have rubber faces to them where they make contact with your phone and they are gently curved, I suppose the idea being to help cradle the phone. The problem is the curve is so shallow it doesn't really work. Due to this I had to tighten the clamp up a fair way on my phone to hold it in anything like a secure fashion so that it wouldn't wobble about. So within two hours of delivery I had my Dremel tool out and cut deeper grooves into the rubber. With that simple modification the clamp now hold my phone much more securely and with a much lighter force on the clamp. Result!

The clamp has a standard 1/4 inch threaded nut so you can stick it on just about any tripod or other mount you want.

Delkin Devices Fat Gecko Double Knuckle Single Suction Cup Camera Mount
Delkin Devices Fat Gecko Double Knuckle Single Suction Cup Camera Mount

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sturdy, 16 April 2012
My first impression of the Fat Gecko mini mount, as I removed it from the packaging is that it isn't actually all that "mini". It is a fairly substantial suction mount that is both bigger and heavier than many compact cameras that may be used with it.

Being a substantial suction mount isn't a bad thing though if you are going to be using it where it will be subjected to heavy vibration and jolts because it certainly holds on very well. So much so that it needs a fair pull to release it from a glass surface even when you want it to come off.

The Fat Gecko is a mixture of solid plastic and metal contruction and not in the slightest bit flimsy. The ball head being almost entirely metal. The screw mount is a bit long so you may well need to turn the adjuster to take up the excess. Some form of quick release plate would be an advantage for easily removing the camera to either view recorded footage or even use it off the mount while leaving the mount in place but maybe that would also compromise the secure camera to mount fit.

I'm certainly not disappointed. Maybe there is room in the Delkin range for a "micro" as well as a mini mount.

Kodak PlaySport Zx5 Full HD 1080P,  Waterproof, Dustproof and Shockproof - Black
Kodak PlaySport Zx5 Full HD 1080P, Waterproof, Dustproof and Shockproof - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Rugged and versatile but very mediocre image quality, 8 April 2012
The overall image quality and colour reproduction of the ZX5 is quite poor, similar to that obtained from mobile telephones several years ago. Kodak must be using an exceptionally cheap and nasty image sensor because I get substantially better quality (720p) video and still images, with much better and more natural colour from my Nokia E6 mobile telephone. The ZX5 is exceptionally slow to react to changing light conditions. If you are shooting video in a bright sunny area and then pan into a shaded area, you can literally cound the seconds (about 4) until the ZX5 adjusts itself to the conditions. The fact you cannot disable the image stabalistation is a negative in some situations.

I have read reviews of the opinion that the recorded video quality from the ZX5 is good. All I can say is, compared to what? My broad disatisfaction with the recorded video from the ZX5 has left it the option of last resort after only a couple months of ownership.

The internal battery life is good enough and will allow for over three hours of continuous recording. The battery charging is fairly slow but that will ensure better overall service life than a quicker charging rate.

The ZX5 is very simple and easy to use in "action" situations where videoing something is perhaps secondary to what you are actually doing first and foremost. Finally and obviously, being waterproof without the need for a special case allows you to take it places you may not ordinarily have got photos and video from.

Mycoal hand warmers - 10 pairs
Mycoal hand warmers - 10 pairs
Offered by notonlybowls

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, 17 Mar. 2012
The Mycoal hand warmers, from a users point of view, are very simple things.

Remove them from the sealed wrapper to activate and once the reaction gets going they reach a really nice and warm temperature which I found to very effecively keep my hands warm against the cold while on winter boat trips at sea in Iceland amongst other things.

In my experience the hand warmers, which reminded me of big tea bags, worked at their peak for up to about four hours by which time the heat output was dropping off but they still remained warm at reduced temperatures for maybe another couple hours after that.

Overall I was pretty pleased with them.

Skyline [DVD]
Skyline [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eric Balfour
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Beyond abysmal, 15 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Skyline [DVD] (DVD)
Absolutely dreadful! Now I don't mind a bit of sci fi but at least two thirds of this film doesn't even come close to sci fi. You just follow the uninteresting interactions of some equally uninteresting nobody characters stuck in a room while an alien invasion goes on outside, of which we see very little until the last twenty minutes or so but I was already on fast forward button by this stage, Skyline had bored me too much to keep me interested.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Good gloves but a poor fit for me, 11 Feb. 2012
The Sealskinz ultra grips are well made and have a good quality feel to them.

Unfortunately I don't wear them much due to what I find to be an oddly proportioned fit. On an otherwise well fitted pair of medium gloves, the fingers are unusually tight to the point I feel they slightly restrict blood flow to the skin surface which is counter productive to staying warm. Now I don't have sausage fingers, far from it, very much the opposite but I've nver worn gloves this tight on the fingers while being fine on the palm and cuff etc. It becomes an irritation and mildy uncomfortable.

I tried a size large which were still overly tight in the fingers but far too big around the hand. Very strange, try before you buy!

Canon PowerShot S100 Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, Ultra Wide Angle, 5x Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD

3.0 out of 5 stars Misrepresented, 31 Jan. 2012
This review isn't anywhere near as comprehensive as I would normally write. I've only had my S100 a few hours at the time of writing but I'm furious...

Contrary to what one would expect of a high end compact like the S100 and indeed what Canon's literature leads us to believe, the Powershot S100 does NOT have a full manual control mode.

In manual mode the S100 places automatic limits your ISO and shutter speed combinations. For those of us that like to take creative photographs of the night sky etc. this renders the S100 next to useless. An even more ridiculous state of affairs considering it's reported superior low noise capability would otherwise make it a good choice for such use.

These limits in manual mode may not be a concern for you but just be aware that manual mode isn't quite as flexible or indeed fully manual on the Powershot S100.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2012 9:03 PM BST

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Vile, 23 Sept. 2011
However comprehensive the ingredients and nutritional value of this supplement, I can't get away from how quite simply aweful it is to drink.

If the idea is to replace meals then they could have at least made it paletable so that you don't need to pretty much force yourself to drink it. Sticking to a diet can sometimes be difficult, this stuff makes it even harder when you have to contemplate drinking it instead of eating something else.

I had the banana + malt flavour which I found so unpleasant I eventually ended up mixing in the powder from another brand to try and improve the flavour and texture.

Nutrisport MRP contains a fair amount of insoluable fibre which collects at the bottom of your bottle or whatever you are drinking from as a slightly gritty gunge for one last kick as you brace yourself and swallow it.

I'd go as far as saying this is the worst tasting supplement drink I've had in over 20 years and is only beaten by the Weider Muscle Builder I first started out on way back then.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7