Profile for G. Ward > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
PortaPow 3 Watt USB Solar Charger Panel for Smartphones, Satnavs, GoPro, etc
PortaPow 3 Watt USB Solar Charger Panel for Smartphones, Satnavs, GoPro, etc

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 7 Oct. 2014
The PortaPow 3 watt panel is the first solar panel (in conjunction with a Nokia DC-19 battery) that I have found to be totally effective and fit for it's intended purpose of charging small electronic devices on the move.

I've had a couple of small solar chargers before, those around the size of a mobile phone but they have never been up to the job and have always been a let down.

I strapped the PortaPow to the top of my rucksack while climbing Mount Kilimanjaro, with the DC-19 in the little pocket on the back of the panel. The battery was always fully charged at the end of the climbing day and in turn kept my mobile phone (for GPS) and camera fully charged.

The PoertaPow 3W has a good decent solid feel to it, suitable for use in outdoor environments and not so delicate you're scared of it taking a knock or two. The front face of the panel is covered with some kind of hard plastic material it's not glass and is quite scratch resistant. The rest of the outer case is rugged nylon including the velcro closed back pocket.

My only criticism is that the loose usb connecting lead is not very securely fixed to the circuit board at the back inside the pocket. The two thin wires that consitute the usb lead are just soldered in with nothing else to secure them. That could be a weak link in terms of durability. I carefully placed a dollop of epoxy over the connection to beef it up a bit

Henry Squire Ln1 Lion Range Brass Padlock 20mm
Henry Squire Ln1 Lion Range Brass Padlock 20mm
Offered by Dealsdirect247

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little lock, 7 Oct. 2014
The LN1 is a top quality miniture padlock. I use them to lock my expedition bags when travelling. Yes you can buy equally small, no name, padlocks from supermarkets and multiples for a fraction of the price but simply the solid weight and feel of this lock tells you it is a step up in quality over those cheap and nasty locks. Are the contents of whatever you are locking up worth a few extra quid?

Acctim 14193 Eclipse Solar Dual Power Alarm Clock, Black
Acctim 14193 Eclipse Solar Dual Power Alarm Clock, Black
Offered by XIAOHE

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 7 Oct. 2014
A neat little alarm clock and it works just as it should. I'm not sure how much of a contribution the tiny solar cells make towards extending battery life but I guess it's better than nothing.

The crescendo alarm chime escalates from quiet to loud far too quickly, it could do with being much gentler and if you don't have the back light switched on it would be good if it automatically switched on whicle the alarm is chiming to help you find it and switch it off in a dark room when you are still half asleep.

Like many LCD displays the viewing angle is quite critical. My clock sits on top of a set of drawers next to my bed, which is lower down, At first I couldn't read the time off the clock unitl I raised the back end of the clock with some adhesive felt pads

Mantona outdoor photography protection case L (suitable for DSLR cameras, GoPro action cams, photos equipment and much more, size L, watertight, shock-resistant, dust-proof) black

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, 7 Oct. 2014
I have the large case. It is a top quality, substantial and solid protective case. I have no worries at all for my camera and lenses when they are tucked up inside this case.

The option to buy more foam inserts for when I inevitably want to re-arrange things inside would be good.

Classic Fun Tetris Hand Held LCD Electronic Brick Game
Classic Fun Tetris Hand Held LCD Electronic Brick Game

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and nasty but functional, 6 Oct. 2014
Well it works and that is it.

This hand held game claims to be 9999 games in one... that may be true but there is no description or listing of any of them. The huge compliment of games is made up of variations around a single core game whch may have dozens of subtle variations to tab through.

I was hoping for a simple tetris game, tetris as we all know it is probably buried in there somewhere but I've lost patience trying to find it.

The sound is ridiculously loud in typical bleepy old school electronic game style. It can be switched off thankfully.

The unit itself is very light and flimsy and has a very very cheap feel to it. But then the price is cheap and flimsy too.

I'd suggest looking for something else.

Ultrasport Self Inflating Mat 200 X 66 X 3cm - Blue
Ultrasport Self Inflating Mat 200 X 66 X 3cm - Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but there are quality issues., 6 Oct. 2014
I've had two of these, a 5cm and a 3cm and both let me down in the same way after very little use. They both developed tiny pin hole leaks (not punctures) around where the valve attaches to the fabric of the mat. The supplied repair kit didn't result in a durable repair either. The glue is vulcanising rubber glue similar to that found in bicycle inner tube repair kits but neither the mat or the patch material is rubber so the repair is compromised from the start. A dab of super glue over the pin hole leaks worked much better.

The outer material of my 3cm mat has also started to seperate from the inner foam resulting in bubbles when inflated.

On the positive side both mats are very comfortable and provided good thermal insulation when it was needed. The very fact the mats are two metres long is an advantage in itself for us tall blokes, there are suprisingly few around that long. The mat is a little on the heavy side (1.4kg for the 3cm and 2.6kg for the 5cm) but if we want superlight we have to put our hands in our pockets and pay for it.

Overall these mats are ok but I've experienced some quality and durability problems with mine.

TV Aerial Coaxial Female to 2x Male 2 Way Splitter
TV Aerial Coaxial Female to 2x Male 2 Way Splitter
Offered by Electromart-UK

1.0 out of 5 stars I got a dud, 25 May 2014
My aerial lead (or any other male RF plug I have) will not fit into the "in" socket on this splitter and it's not at all clear why, there are no obvious obstructions. The product is therefore useless.

At least it didn't break the bank.

Ex-Pro® RS-MMC Adapter
Ex-Pro® RS-MMC Adapter

4.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, 18 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Ex-Pro® RS-MMC Adapter (Camera)
MMC memory cards are pretty much obsolete these days but having dug out an old one that I needed to access I was stuck with no immediate means of reading it. That's where this little adapter came in and did the job nicely. It clips onto the end of the MMC card, the two pieces together being the size of a much more common and readily readable SD card, which was easily inserted into an SD card reader. Problem solved.

Highlander Thermalite Self Inflate Cushion - Red
Highlander Thermalite Self Inflate Cushion - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a little small, 11 Feb. 2014
Personally I think the Highlander Thermalite self inflating cushion is better used as a compact camping pillow. I can find nothing on which to fault the product other than it's dimensions in tems of length and width are just a little too small to be comfortably used as a cushion for sitting on for prolonged periods.

JJC LH-52 replacement Canon ES-52 Lens Hood for Canon EF 40mm f/2.8mm STM Lens
JJC LH-52 replacement Canon ES-52 Lens Hood for Canon EF 40mm f/2.8mm STM Lens
Offered by Cameramarket UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 11 Dec. 2013
The JJC LH-52 lens hood fits perfectly onto my 40mm STM and is basically a direct copy of the Canon product, at a much more sensible price.

I was expecting the hood to be made of plastic but was pleased to discover it is metal, probably aluminium.

So the JJC hood as an item is great and makes much more sense than the Canon product. The only remaining question is how much use such a shallow hood is in the first place. I've found it inconclusive so far but convince myself it must be better than nothing at all. For less than a tenner who's complaining?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7