Profile for Mr. Christopher Lancaster > Reviews

Content by Mr. Christophe...

Mr. Christopher Lancaster "clanca1234"
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Finish All In One Lemon Sparkle 78 Dishwasher Tablets
Finish All In One Lemon Sparkle 78 Dishwasher Tablets
Price: 10.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great results every time, 14 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Finish tablets are normally more expensive than most other dishwasher tablets, and I've never been sure that the extra money would be worth it, having traditionally used supermarket own brands.

Having now used the Finish All-in-One tablets for several weeks, I can see why Finish are so well-renowned. Everything has been clean every time, and glasses especially are sparkling - far more so than with cheaper tablets. Plus everything smells very slightly lemony, which is nice. Not cheap, but worth the difference.

Easy Russian for English Speakers Vol. 1 & 2: Learn to Speak and Understand Russian; From everyday essentials to Chekhov, Pushkin, Gagarin and Shakespeare
by Max Bollinger
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 11.40

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 5 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried other audio language courses before, and was intrigued by the slightly different concept with this one, which concentrates on common phrases and works of literature. It seemed a good idea, but I found it went too quickly, essentially teaching more advanced phrases and concepts before covering some of the basics that you would have gone before. It left me confused and not with the knowledge that I thought I would gain. Maybe just me, but I found this disappointing.

Fellowes M-6C Cross Cut 6 Sheet Personal Shredder
Fellowes M-6C Cross Cut 6 Sheet Personal Shredder
Price: 34.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and durable shredder, 5 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've bought cheaper shredders before and had issues (normally with overheating, and sheer inability to shred more than a couple of sheets at once), and had high hopes for the Fellowes shredder, having had the brand recommended by a friend. It's lived to the hype; can shred five or six sheets at once, and capable of running for 15/20 minutes before it has to have a break as it's got too hot. Recommended.

Philips SHL5605FB/10 CitiScape Downtown Headphones with Music Seal/Memory Foam Cushions - Black Denim
Offered by C-GEAR
Price: 33.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 5 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Headphones look good, are very comfy to wear, and have good sound quality. The second pair if these that I've had (after my son "borrowed" the first pair), and wouldn't hesitate to but again if the need arises.

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx PCI Express Sound Card with EAX Reverb Engine and Dual Microphone Inputs
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent improvement in sound quality, 28 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered the Audigy soundcard to replace the propriety one in my desktop PC, as the sound quality from (and into) this left a lot to be desired. It's been many years since I a) bought a soundcard or b) fitted one. Back in those days, Creative were known for being the best, hence my decision to go with them this time around.

Fortunately, this choice has been vindicated. It took no more than 15 minutes to fit (it would have been faster, but for my seeming lack of ability to put down small screws without losing them shortly afterwards). The improvement in sound quality is excellent, and I'm a very happy camper. Recommended.

Fujitsu Q802 4 Bay 8TB (4x 2TB) Celvin Network Attached Storage Server
Fujitsu Q802 4 Bay 8TB (4x 2TB) Celvin Network Attached Storage Server
Price: 943.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality storage solution, 28 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered the Q802 to replace my old NAS, which had far less storage and has seen better days. The Q802 sounded as if it would tick all the boxes, although it wasn't exactly clear which drives would ship with the server. I had been told that they would be good quality, which was an essential as the Q802 isn't exactly cheap, being aimed more at small to medium size businesses than to home users.

It turns out that the drives included were Western Digital SATA III drives, which were better than I expected. Setup was straightforward; literally plug it in, connect, and the NAS is visible straightaway. There's some basic config to carry out (selecting the disk configuration and making users), and whilst the allocation of permissions was a bit trickier than I imagined, this didn't take long at all.

Having now used the NAS for a few weeks, I've been incredibly pleased with it. I've set my other devices to backup automatically to it, and data transfer times are good - I've timed it at transferring just over 3.5 GB in a minute, which is fast enough for my requirements. I've added a UPS, and, subject to running out of space (in which instance the 4x2TB drives could be replaced with 3TB equivalents), I'm confident the NAS will be sufficient for my backup needs for some years.

Philips Shaver Series 7000, Wet and Dry Shaver with Clean and Charge System RQ1197/22
Price: 129.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best Philips razor, 20 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used several Philips razors over the years (including the much cheaper Aquatouch, my favourite), but thought I would get something meatier in order to try to reduce the time it takes me to shave.

This razor comes in a very large box, containing the razor itself and a cleaning/charging stand. The idea of the stand is that the razor cleans itself whilst it charges, using special Philips cleaning solution. Whilst you can't argue that the razor is cleaned using this method, you do really have to wonder at how this is any easier than simply rinsing the razor under a tap, which takes a few seconds. In addition, you don't have to buy the Philips cleaning solution to rinse the razor with plain water!

Charging, however, is good, with a full charge obtained in about an hour, which gives (I've found) about an hour's shaving time. So pretty good there.

My main problem, however, is with the quality of the shave. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I'm just not capable of contorting my wrists and face in the correct way, but the distance between the rotary heads means that I generally miss bits when shaving - and sometimes quite large strips at that! I've given the razor a fair go over the past few weeks, but have concluded that it takes more time to shave than my old Aquatouch - to which I am returning.

I've given this three stars as I wouldn't say it's a bad, bad razor; but there again it's not a very good one either. It does shave, and perhaps with a bit more patience (ie months of practice rather than weeks), I could work out how to use it without having to go over some parts of my chin again and again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2014 3:21 PM BST

Remington HC5800 Pro Power Hair Clipper
Remington HC5800 Pro Power Hair Clipper
Price: 39.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Prepare for a cold head!, 20 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd heard good things about Remington clippers, so decided to try a pair, figuring that with this little hair, not much could go wrong. This was a mistake!

First impressions of the Remington were good. It's nice to hold, and has a digital display that tells you how many minutes charge cutting are left before the charge runs out - invaluable, as I'm sure I'm not the only person who has been known to cut their hair, only to find that their cordless clippers run out of juice halfway through. Charging is by a charging stand or via USB, which is handy if you're staying away.

And now the downside. When clipping hair, you normally use a number of combs to determine how long the cut is. The Remington comes with three variable length clothes, which are ridged and thus adjusted to give different lengths. And therein lies the problem. On the second use, and without much pressure at all being applied, I suddenly realised that the comb had slipped down a couple of notches, I had been cutting the back of my hair without realising, and disaster ensued. The only option I had left was to shave it all off.

As this may have been my own imcompetence, I will try the clippers again, and see what happens. I'm 99% sure it wasn't however, and I have a cold head. Avoid.

Philips AquaTouch AT899/16, Wet and Dry Fully Waterproof Shaver with Flexing Heads
Price: 72.23

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, I bought it twice!, 20 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first got an AquaTouch about two years ago. Unfortunately this met with an accident (my fault, not the razor's), and so I replaced it with... another AquaTouch. It's quiet, you get about an hour's shave out of one battery charge, gives an easy and close shave without having to go over the same bits again and again, and, even better, you can use it in the shower. The best 'cheaper' razor that I've ever had.

Braun Satin Hair 7 Straightener ES 3-C
Braun Satin Hair 7 Straightener ES 3-C
Price: 42.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable pair of hair straighteners, 20 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I bought these for my daughter who has very thick and long hair, and has struggled with hair straighteners in the past. These sounded good as her hair is very fine (although thick), so the nine different heat settings sounded ideal. She's used them for a few weeks now, and they do seem to do the job. The cable is very long (two metres) which is good if you want to move around whilst straightening. The only downside is that they seem to really make a mess of your hair when if it's not quite dry when you try to straighten it. Would have been a four-star review if not for that.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20