Profile for chris, sussex > Reviews

Savile - The Beast: The Inside Story of the Greatest Scandal in TV History
Savile - The Beast: The Inside Story of the Greatest Scandal in TV History
Price: 1.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be shocked, 30 Nov 2013
Difficult to rate this because of the nature of the contents. Lots of factual accounts by some of Savile's victims. The full horror of Savile's depravity is clearly shown, along with how he got away with it.
I admire his victims' courage in recounting the horror they suffered in the hands of this paedophile, and hope they are more able to move on in their lives.
The book is definitely food for thought. I was angry at the BBC for turning a blind eye and frustrated that the police and CPS didn't investigate further when allegations were made before Savile died.
What angered me more than anything was that he didn't live to face up to his depravity and disgusting abuse of the vulnerable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2014 10:10 AM GMT

TWO OLD FARTS AND A MOTORHOME!!
TWO OLD FARTS AND A MOTORHOME!!
Price: 1.58

2.0 out of 5 stars Read reviews before you waste your money, 3 Sep 2013
I stupidly bought this without reading the reviews thinking it would offer a good insight into motorhoming in Europe. However I was bitterly disappointed. The timeline is confusing, eg., New Year celebrations are followed by a chapter entitled "November 2010". There is a chapter on the author's holiday in Corfu or rather her experience of a shower in Corfu,(years before they acquired a motorhome) that was randomly included during the motorhoming part.
I agree with "NumptyDumpty" about the lack of apostrophes in parts but found they were then used erroneously in "euros", which drove me bonkers. Eg, "Chris gave him 5 euro's". Serious lack of proofreading which I could have overlooked had the storyline been engrossing.
I am a female motorhomer considering full- timing with my husband, however I couldn't relate to Patti at all, whose sole input seemed to be map reading and cooking, leaving most of the other stuff to her husband to deal with. Maybe he should have written the book?
He was the one who sorted out repairs, booked ferry journeys, booked in at campsites, bought and paid for meals and drinks, AND emptied the toilet cassette (Patti "refused" to do this),as well as all the driving.
Patti seemed more intent on letting us know how funny she is (not) eg.," I went to collect water from the loch and my sandals got wet and I had to leave them outside to dry". I read on to see if Nessie had stolen them in the night, but alas no. That was the punch line. Ha Ha.
I couldn't finish the book as it is mostly about Greek archaeology and the holiday home in Crete, which I am not at all interested in.
I've learnt my lesson not to buy without reading reviews first.

A Place In The Currant Bun
A Place In The Currant Bun
Price: 1.80

4.0 out of 5 stars A "must read" for anyone thinking of buying in Spain, 16 Aug 2013
As a holiday home owner in the Costa Blanca I can identify with much of what the author says. I am pleased to see that after all the trials faced Jo has now found some happiness.
I do believe that 90% of the problems described are due to the collapse of the economy. If property prices were still increasing and the exchange rate still strong, 90% of the problems wouldn't have arisen and the book would have taken on a more positive tone. Even the language barrier and differences in health care, conveyance practice, etc. would be no deterrent to "living the dream" if it was a case of being able to sell up easily, for a profit. The other 10% i.e. relationship break ups, can and do happen anywhere..
Unfortunately, the situation is as the author describes for a lot of ex-pats who didn't keep a bolthole back in their home countries and find themselves in negative equity.
I love having my holiday home ready anytime we feel like escaping the miserable weather here. I know if I sold I wouldn't get back what I paid but that has happened to people in Britain too. Thankfully I don't need (nor desire) to sell.
Jo's advice about renting first is very sound.
I really enjoyed reading this book and admire the author for her strength and energy in coping in spite of adversity.

Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain
Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 10 May 2013
This book is the true story of two friends who cycled from Land's end to John O'Groats starting out with no money, cycles or even clothes. It is written in diary form and I found it really interesting to see where their next meal or shelter was coming from.
It is very funny and had me riveted and almost feeling I was part of the adventure.

The Devil Rides Out
The Devil Rides Out
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The second episode of Paul O'Grady's autobiography, 10 May 2013
As with Paul's first book "At my mother's knee", this book left me gagging for more. Very funny and hard to put down. Clever ploy to serialise his life story as I'm sure many, like me, will be buying the third episode.