Profile for rd88 > Reviews

Content by rd88

rd88

Garnier Skin Naturals Pure Sebum - Shine Control Moisturiser 75ml
Garnier Skin Naturals Pure Sebum - Shine Control Moisturiser 75ml
Offered by Discounted Cosmetics Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 10 Nov. 2014
I have a very oily T-zone, and this is the only product I've ever bought which actually controls it. It gives my skin a natural look. However, I would point out that it does make the application of make-up pretty difficult, foundation for example gets a soapy feel. But just for general day-wear, it works wonders.

The Pointless Book
The Pointless Book
by Alfie Deyes

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 2 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Pointless Book (Paperback)
Bought this for my daughter, who likes the author, but even she said it was rubbish and a rip-off of the Wreck This Journal series. Also, the attempts to bribe customers into giving 5 star reviews as well from Alfie Deyes are shameful.

More Fool Me
More Fool Me

2.0 out of 5 stars Like others, I am disappointed, 26 Sept. 2014
This review is from: More Fool Me (Kindle Edition)
Moab is my Washpot, Fry's first autobiography, is one of my all-time favourite books, perhaps because I associated so strongly with the story, and the brilliant way he presented himself in it. Self-deprecating, but not self-hating, wordy, but not too wordy. There are some great and funny scenes there, and some very poignant scenes towards the end, and I'd recommend that book to anyone. I didn't enjoy the Fry Chronicles as much; it had an engaging enough story, but the meanderings, that which had felt natural in Moab, were were so numerous and long, they just detracted from any sense of narrative. There was little mention of his emotional life, and his relationships were skirted over, disappointing because he articulated his feelings of love so well in the first book. I also felt that it dealt with those years in far too much detail, he'd covered 20 years well in Moab; to cover 8 in a book of the same length was too much, and that it wasn't as emotionally engaged as his first book.

More Fool Me disappointed me ever further, emotional engagement is minimal, and it continues along the trajectory of 'more celebrity stories, less depth'. It might seem intrusive to ask for more writing on his emotional life, but given his track-record, and his ability to write about it well in the past, I don't feel it's unreasonable to ask for self-reflection that's a little more profound that "I was such a wicked man". Some parts are funny, but they are few and far between. The book ends with a long selection from his diary in the early 90s, I was left wondering if this was just laziness or him rushing to finish the book. Perhaps he's trying to give himself space in the next volume of autobiography to deal with the full fall-out from his infamous suicide attempt in the late 90s; I look forward to reading how this is managed, and I hope we will see a return to the fine form of the past, of which we all know he's capable.

Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, 7 April 2014
Just received mine,I found it very easy to set up. You have to download the 'Chromecast' app to your device (I use an iPad 2), or the Google Cast extension to Chrome, both work fine for me. Netflix works really well, as does iPlayer. It does lag a bit in loading, but only as much as a normal iPlayer app does. There are two other features I love; first of all tab cast. Whatever you do on a Google Chrome tab can be sent to your tv screen, useful if the video you are watching doesn't necessarily support ChromeCast, just press the button and it will screen to the tv, disabling the audio on the PC so it only plays through the tv. I have found that video played this way does lag a little, and has a propensity to jump about though. The second feature is through downloading another Chrome Extension called 'Videostream'. Through this app, you select a video (unfortunately only MP4 supported) in your computer and it screens to the tv. I have done so, and have found that there is very little jumping around.

In all, I like this product, it's obviously still in experimental stages, and it misses out on 5 Stars because I would like to see a much better Tab Browsing feature. The question of whether you should just get an HDMI cable is vexed, I will be using ChromeCast because it's impractical to plug my PC into the tv to watch shows; but for other it may just be easier to buy an HDMI cable. But I like the 'remote' set up, and being able to control the tv from the comfort of the sofa. I suppose it's something of a novelty when compared with the simple HDMI cable, but I like it.

Dreamchaser
Dreamchaser
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Dreamchaser (Audio CD)
Put simply, Sarah Brightman has released the best album of her career. No more attempts at splicing classical arias with bad pop, no more cheesy lyrics. This album is a complete listening experience, she expertly weaves her way around indie classics and creates a landscape of sound which takes one on a journey. She doesn't do the usual thing of singing pop songs operatically, instead capturing something within the song which corresponds to her vision. A look at the tracklist, which seems like the most random collection of songs ever, is enough to tell you this is her most experimental and diverse album. Don't pay attention to whining fans who don't understand what the album is, take a listen for yourself.

If you're looking for a rehash of previous works then don't bother. If you want incredibly simple Europop sandwiched by something classical, don't bother. But if you want a complete and immersive listening experience, then give this a try. All the songs blend together, and make a long suite, lighter moments, such as Venus and Mars, providing relief from heavier and more solemn moments, such as Lento e Largo.

It is, as one person out, Brightman's 'gentle lunacy' which holds the album together. This selection shouldn't work, but the vision and the production absolutely make it. The whole album is closer to 'artpop' than Classical Crossover and the risks pay off, and create the most interesting crossover album ever. As one review has already stated, this is definitely not another Mothers Day Opera classics 'crossover' album, this is closer to a piece of art more than anything. Finally she has created an album with substance- Hail Brightman, the ultimate hipster!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2015 3:00 AM GMT