Profile for Marc > Reviews

Content by Marc

Marc

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
SUPERSOFT WARM FLEECE BLANKET THROW 130 X 170 cm - 11 GREAT COLOURS (OFF WHITE)
SUPERSOFT WARM FLEECE BLANKET THROW 130 X 170 cm - 11 GREAT COLOURS (OFF WHITE)
Offered by SWITCH!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good size., 17 Jan. 2016
Lovely warm blanket. Good size.

[Upgraded Capacity] RAVPower Portable Charger 16750mAh Power Bank External Battery Pack with Most Powerful 4.5A Output and iSmart Technology - Black
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device. Powers any USB item in case of emergency., 17 Jan. 2016
This can charge two items at once and completely charge an iPad 2 from flat.

I keep it in my ruck-sack all of the time for emergency use. As it has two generic USB slots, it can be used with any device that has it's own USB cable.

WD Red 2TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM
WD Red 2TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM
Offered by NDS shipping

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive - extremely easy to install into a Synology DS215J, 17 Jan. 2016
I bought this to install in a Synology DS215J NAS (which is great by the way!).

The NAS is a 2 bay unit, I have only bought one drive due to the price. I will be buying another one in the near future to either mirror the existing drive or as a back-up.

It seems silent in operation.

The NAS seems to be a wonderful purchase so this drive must be doing it's job.

The Long War: (Long Earth 2) (The Long Earth)
The Long War: (Long Earth 2) (The Long Earth)

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't need to be a Pratchett fan to enjoy this book........, 17 Jan. 2016
I am a die-hard Terry Pratchett fan and would buy anything of his regardless but having said that, having read the first installment 'The Long Earth' and looking at getting this, I saw that some reviews were very negative and had me quite worried. The tie-up with Stephen Baxter doesn't work, some of the characters are poor, the story is poor etc., etc.

I may be a die-hard fan but I wouldn't say something was good if it wasn't; and this book was great.

The whole Long Earth premise is very clever and is developed ever so well over this second book. I loved the characters, even though Lobsang does mirror disc-world's Lu-Tze - so what? There were interactions with him that made me burst out laughing.

Totally glad I purchased this and will be getting the next installment, The Long Mars.

Synology DiskStation DS215j 2 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure
Synology DiskStation DS215j 2 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had bought one of these the first time I looked at getting a NAS., 17 Jan. 2016
I wish I had bought one of these the first time I looked at getting a NAS.

This is the 'Apple' of the NAS world. Everything is sooooo easy to set up. It really is plug 'n play. I switched it on with just 1 2TB drive installed (it is a 2 bay unit but after the initial cost of the unit plus a drive, another drive will have to wait for some more funds!) and it did the rest.

Even finding it on the network was a breeze! It has a lovely browser GUI not unlike a Windows desktop.

I am no computer whiz but setting up folders to be accessible from outside the home network (ie from the internet) was pretty simple with absoloutely loads of forums and help sites a quick Google search away. No port forwarding, ftp or any of that lark. It did all of that automatically.

Plus, unlike the Zyxel NSA it is replacing, it does not drop off of the network for absolutely no bloody reason.

As far as I can tell, you cannot stream media directly from it to Apple TV, I still have to use the iTunes library on another PC or use Airplay from an iPhone or iPad (as ATV will not 'pull' and the NAS won't 'push') but there are Synology apps which work on Apple devices (probably Android too) which can also do these tasks.

I have even set up a folder which can be accessed by my choir group to download music scores and files like a private Dropbox - and as I said, I am no whiz.

It is much more expensive than my original Zyxel NSA - the unit without drives cost more than the complete set up but the difference is startling.

This is a very well thought out and useful piece of kit. I would recommend it to anyone looking for home/small business storage.

Apple USB Charger Cable for iPhone 4/4S/iPod/iPad Non Retail Packaging
Apple USB Charger Cable for iPhone 4/4S/iPod/iPad Non Retail Packaging
Offered by Gadgets Hut UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good cables, 17 Jan. 2016
These seem like very good quality, quite heavy grade cables.

I have used them to charge up iPhones and iPad 2s without any problems. I have also used them to connect to iTunes, again without problems.

TekBox® 25L Outdoor Hiking Walking Climbing Laptop Rucksack Backpack Bag / Festival Camping Holiday School Hand Luggage (Pink)
Offered by TEKBOX LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, comfortable to wear and carry, 17 Jan. 2016
I bought this for my daughter for school.

It is very roomy, with good zips and pullers. It seems to be well made and a lovely (her favourite) colour to boot.

Unlike some ruck-sacks, this one has a nice, comfortable padded carry handle on the top, which is ideal for when you don't want it on your shoulders. This was big deal for my daughter.

Green & Brown Pixels Design Bedding Single Duvet Cover Set with Pillow Case
Green & Brown Pixels Design Bedding Single Duvet Cover Set with Pillow Case

5.0 out of 5 stars She was really pleased with it, 17 Jan. 2016
This was a christmas present for my 'Minecraft mad' daughter.

She loves the fact that it is 'grass' on one side and 'dirt' on the other. She was really pleased with it.

Corsair VS550 ATX/EPS Vs Series 550 W 80 Plus Power Supply Unit
Corsair VS550 ATX/EPS Vs Series 550 W 80 Plus Power Supply Unit

5.0 out of 5 stars A Corsair unit at a fantastic price., 17 Jan. 2016
I received this today after my 'spare' PC refused to switch on after many years of service.

I did a little research and was only looking to spend a little as the dead PC was only used when the main PC was being occupied by child 1 or child 2. Some of the very cheap power suppies had poor reviews and horror stories of failing quickly or over-heating and cutting out.

Then I found this - a Corsair unit but not too expensive. There was no point getting a cheap unit for the sake of £10-15 extra.

I like Corsair, I have built a couple of PC's and I have used their cases and power supplies on both occasions. My concern was that this dead PC is quite old now and would a newer supply have the correct connections?

This unit may be inexpensive but I was very pleased with my purchase - it comes with it's own 'kettle' lead and screws to secure it into the case and the main point - there were plenty of connections. Motherboard, CPU, Sata, 2 PCIe's for the oversized graphics card and even molex connectors for my old CD drive in there, plus the case fans. I was worried at first as I couldn't find a 4 pin CPU connector - then found that the 8 pin connector is modular and separates into two 4 pins, one of which I used.

Really, really pleased. 20 minutes and the job was done, including hoovering out who knows how many years dust as well as talking child 2 through what I was doing and what was what. Plugged it all back in and *boom* (child 2's favourite saying at the moment) it booted straight up. The old PC lives again.

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit OEM SP1 DVD + Product Key DELL BRANDED
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit OEM SP1 DVD + Product Key DELL BRANDED

5.0 out of 5 stars Used to re-install with an existing Professional key (lost the original disk), 11 Dec. 2015
I had to re-install Windows after a disaster with Win 10. I didn't realise that I had installed Win Professional on the machine I'd built and so initially I used the first disk that came to hand - a spare Win Home Premium disk. I thought that all versions of the OS are on the disks and are activated by the key. Get to activation stage and ........ nope. Not having it. But it is the code that I used when I first installed.....Aaaargh! A phone call to Microsoft and they inform me the activation key is for Professional and I have installed Home Premium. Hmm. I told them that I have lost the old OEM disk I had used but they were unsympathetic.

So I bought this. Clean install and used my original key from the sticker still attached to the chasis, rather than the one supplied with the new disk. I just typed the key in and it activated straight away. That means I still have a licence key for another PC should I need it.

There doesn't seem to be any bloatware or any other items installed, just Windows 7. The only thing I can see is that under Control Panel / System it has the Dell logo. I can live with that. It shows that Windows is genuine and activated.

Now, do I 'upgrade' to Windows 10 again? I think not.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10