Profile for P. Brun > Reviews

Content by P. Brun

P. Brun (Folkestone Kent)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
2 Set Egg Rings Heart Shape Metal Molds for Fried Eggs & Pancakes
2 Set Egg Rings Heart Shape Metal Molds for Fried Eggs & Pancakes
Offered by Grids London

2.0 out of 5 stars I found them useful to draw round when making a Valentine card but ..., 18 Mar. 2015
I am sorry to say that these items are quite flimsy and do not lie flat in the pan which means that egg white flows out from underneath defeating the object of having them. I found them useful to draw round when making a Valentine card but had no success when trying to use them as intended.

eSecure - 2x TWIN Plug in Wireless / Cordless Doorbell MASSIVE 50M Range 16x Sounds and Chime
Offered by 365-home-zone

4.0 out of 5 stars Really effective doorbell., 18 Mar. 2015
I almost missed delivery of this unit because our battery operated bell was not heard when the postman called! Fotunately I noticed his card on the doormat before he had gone far. This system is very easy to install and works with no problem and with a unit both downstairs and upstairs we cannot fail to hear it even when I am practising playing on my tuba! The bellpush assembly does feel a little flimsy and the slot to enable inserting a small screwdriver to separate the front from the back to install a new battery is against the surface on which it is mounted and is out of sight. I am yet to see if this will present a problem when the bellpush battery needs replacing and this is why I have not given 5 stars. The tune that the units play is quite loud which I regard as a good thing. I have not tried altering the tune because it lasts longer than an ordinary 'Bing-Bong' and so is less likely to be missed. The tone is not HI-FI and the units are not quite in sync but as we rarely get more than 3 callers a day this does not bother us. The important thing is that we hear it. A big plus is that, as the bell units have a socket on the front, a power point is not lost. In our case this means that our phone unit is plugged into the bell.

Chuckit! Max Glow Ball Medium 2.5-inch, 1 pack
Chuckit! Max Glow Ball Medium 2.5-inch, 1 pack
Offered by Paws To Your Door

5.0 out of 5 stars This is to doggy balls as the M1 is to a country lane., 2 Mar. 2015
This is new thinking applied to balls specifically for dogs. Firstly my dog loves it. It compresses for him in a very satisfying way giving the right resistance to his jaw muscles. Its bounce and bounce noise characteristics are midway between a ping pong ball and a tennis ball which seems to suit my dogs play preferences. He destroys tennis style dog balls in a couple of throws and skins them in no time at all which has led me to use solid rubber balls which are durable but really quite heavy causing quite a blow if a catch is miss-timed. The Chuckit is quite light so does not jar his teeth and, after 3 weeks of use, remains unmarked. It has slight ridges moulded into it which, combined with its nonslip surface and distortability, means he can grip the ball in all sorts of angles and sometimes gives the impression he is blowing bubble gum. Finally I have tested it in a bucket of water and it does just about float. My dog is very enthusiastic about this ball and my wife says it works well with standard ball throwing thingies. I am as happy as a dog with two tails. P.S. I leave this on a sunny windowsill and it is also illuminated from the spotlight system in my kitchen and yes - it does glow quite strongly in the dark. This is only useful if you go ball chucking in the dark. Only if the wind is right and you throw or kick it quite hard will it whistle. I personally feel these features can be disregarded

Canon PG550/CL551XL High Capacity Cartridge - Multicolour
Canon PG550/CL551XL High Capacity Cartridge - Multicolour

4.0 out of 5 stars ... well with my Pixma MG5550 printer and I am happy with the results especially for photographs, 30 Nov. 2014
They work well with my Pixma MG5550 printer and I am happy with the results especially for photographs. Docked one star because of the cost even though Amazon price was the cheapest I could find. My printer is quite new and I have not had the courage to try other compatible brands of ink so cannot make comparisons. I may fall prey to temptation at some point.

Morphy Richards 242004 Accents Four Slice Toaster Red
Morphy Richards 242004 Accents Four Slice Toaster Red
Offered by Allgoods Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars We have been delighted at how evenly it toasts our own handcut slices ..., 24 Nov. 2014
I bought this toaster locally at a similar price but paid extra for a 3 year warranty having seen from the reviews across the whole range of toasters indicating that all makes seem to suffer a proportion of reliability issues. We have been delighted at how evenly it toasts our own handcut slices of bread and it does not take too long to do this. That is the most important feature for a toaster. Design plusses are; 1. It does the job (true of all 4 slots) 2. It looks quite nice. 3. It doesn't take up too much room. 4. The casing does not get very hot. 2. The cable is of adequate length.
Design negatives 1. The crumb trays open from the back of the machine which is merely a bit of an inconvenience. 2. the whole thing is very light which results in tilting the machine when you press down on the levers to lower the toast into the slots. I guess we can live with this one but it is my reason to deduct a star. Because it makes good toast we can recommend it.

5 Star Binding Combs Plastic 21 Ring 35 Sheets A4 6mm White (Pack 100)
5 Star Binding Combs Plastic 21 Ring 35 Sheets A4 6mm White (Pack 100)

3.0 out of 5 stars They MIGHT be better with a different machine and I am considering filing ..., 25 Oct. 2014
The problem with these for me is that my binding machine opens this size of comb too far leaving too little of the loops available for hanging the pages on. They MIGHT be better with a different machine and I am considering filing another stop on mine to enable a lesser opening. My machine is a Q-Connect Binder 8. I suspect the clue is in the name! It works really easily with the 10mm combs that I have subsequently bought.

Canon PIXMA MG5550 3in1 AIO
Canon PIXMA MG5550 3in1 AIO
Offered by Refillexpress UK SAMEDAY DESPATCH

4.0 out of 5 stars good photo printing and duplex capabilities, 22 Oct. 2014
I bought the white version of this printer from Staples having spent an embarrassingly long time there physically looking and prodding the bewildering choice of printers with apparently the same capabilities. The workings are the same no matter what the colour of the machine so I copy my review of the white one here. I wanted reliable wireless connection to my router, and accurate paper alignment which was lacking in my previous HP printer. Also important to me was scanning, good photo printing and duplex capabilities. Printing remotely from mobiles, 'the Cloud' etc. does not concern me but this printer apparently can do these things. It does have a setting that I have tested whereby it turns itself on if data is sent to it which could be useful if printing remotely - that is provided the paper tray is loaded and the 'Out Tray' is open. The whole purpose of a printer is to get quality results. Text is crisp and colours are good and I would rate this as excellent. Photos are also well printed with good definition and grades of tone and I have no complaints. The borders around the image are very precisely aligned too and their width is as set in the print preview. Duplex printing is good if a little slow. There is no loss of alignment on the second page and neither is there any apparent reduction in size. So I am pleased with the results. The control panel is not particularly intuitive to use and I do not feel that it is as good as the HP control panel. The so called 'quick set up' sheet is not particularly well written either and I wasted quite some time setting up the wireless connection because of the wording on the sheet which I interpreted as saying that buttons on the router and printer had to be pressed simultaneously. Delving into the website gave the correct instruction to hold down the router's WPS button for 5 secs then release it, and then press the printer's button within 20 secs. Immediate success. The user's manual is on the software disc supplied and also online. I find the instructions cumbersome and difficult to use and when it comes to scanning I have resorted to using the Windows software and abandoned Canon's because the naming of files and controlling the destination is not intuitive at all. I have never used the Window's Scan and Fax before but was immediately at ease with it Therefore full marks for results but the control panel, operating software and instructions need work.UPDATE ON SCANNING. After a week I have finally found the correct area of the Canon software for better control of scanning. By ignoring the scan icons on the 'image garden starter' on the desktop and opening the image garden itself there is a list of functions on the left and choosing 'scan' displays a scanning screen that enables full control of scanning images and choice of where they are saved and the results are excellent. Incidentally the scanner lid hinge can rise up to enable copying/scanning from thick items such as books. Finally the printer has a fairly large footprint and the paper tray cannot be closed if it contains paper. Despite all this I still prefer the end results.

Q Connect Comb Binding Machine 8
Q Connect Comb Binding Machine 8

4.0 out of 5 stars I feel that the ratchet that holds the binding comb open could do with another stop because the 6mm combs are stretched too wide, 1 Oct. 2014
I have made several calendars since getting this machine and it works effectively so long as one doesn't attempt to punch too many pages at once and it certainly cuts more cleanly with thicker crisper paper than 80 grams. Results with 160 gram card are superb, I feel that the ratchet that holds the binding comb open could do with another stop because the 6mm combs are stretched too wide open with too little length of comb left to easily engage the pages. 10mm combs are very easy to use but I have not yet tried the 8mm ones which could prove the most useful. I would recommend this machine which is effective.

Cold Blood: Adventures with Reptiles and Amphibians
Cold Blood: Adventures with Reptiles and Amphibians

3.0 out of 5 stars The snippets of family life and relationships and the obvious ..., 1 Oct. 2014
The snippets of family life and relationships and the obvious enthusiasm that the writer displays in his personal viewpoint relieve the rather detailed account of our reptiles and amphibians. In my opinion the balance between an auto-biography and a text book leans towards the latter.

Canon PIXMA MG5550 All-in-One Wi-Fi Printer - White
Canon PIXMA MG5550 All-in-One Wi-Fi Printer - White
Offered by Tech Nuts

4.0 out of 5 stars Good early days but....., 1 Oct. 2014
I bought this printer from Staples having spent an embarrassingly long time there physically looking and prodding the bewildering choice of printers with apparently the same capabilities. I wanted reliable wireless connection to my router, and accurate paper alignment which was lacking in my previous HP printer. Also important to me was scanning, good photo printing and duplex capabilities. Printing remotely from mobiles, 'the Cloud' etc. does not concern me but this printer apparently can do these things. It does have a setting that I have tested whereby it turns itself on if data is sent to it which could be useful if printing remotely - that is provided the paper tray is loaded and the 'Out Tray' is open. The whole purpose of a printer is to get quality results. Text is crisp and colours are good and I would rate this as excellent. Photos are also well printed with good definition and grades of tone and I have no complaints. The borders around the image are very precisely aligned too and their width is as set in the print preview. Duplex printing is good if a little slow. There is no loss of alignment on the second page and neither is there any apparent reduction in size. So I am pleased with the results. The control panel is not particularly intuitive to use and I do not feel that it is as good as the HP control panel. The so called 'quick set up' sheet is not particularly well written either and I wasted quite some time setting up the wireless connection because of the wording on the sheet which I interpreted as saying that buttons on the router and printer had to be pressed simultaneously. Delving into the website gave the correct instruction to hold down the router's WPS button for 5 secs then release it, and then press the printer's button within 20 secs. Immediate success. The user's manual is on the software disc supplied and also online. I find the instructions cumbersome and difficult to use and when it comes to scanning I have resorted to using the Windows software and abandoned Canon's because the naming of files and controlling the destination is not intuitive at all. I have never used the Window's Scan and Fax before but was immediately at ease with it Therefore full marks for results but the control panel, operating software and instructions need work.UPDATE ON SCANNING. After a week I have finally found the correct area of the Canon software for better control of scanning. By ignoring the scan icons on the 'image garden starter' on the desktop and opening the image garden itself there is a list of functions on the left and choosing 'scan' displays a scanning screen that enables full control of scanning images and choice of where they are saved and the results are excellent. Incidentally the scanner lid hinge can rise up to enable copying/scanning from thick items such as books. Finally the printer has a fairly large footprint and the paper tray cannot be closed if it contains paper. Despite all this I still prefer the end results.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5