Profile for redpixie > Reviews

by Ann Budd
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: 16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Favorite Socks (Spiral-bound)
This is a lovely addition to my small but growing library of knitting books. I have another socks book which is gorgeous but this is another very lovely, beautifully presented and useful book. Highly recommended.

Arrival (The Phoenix Files)
Arrival (The Phoenix Files)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book, 6 Jan 2013
My son is a prolific reader - this series of books are an excellent addition to his (growing) library of book.

My Grandmother's Knitting
My Grandmother's Knitting
by Larissa Brown
Price: 9.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly gorgeous book, 6 Jan 2013
What can I say about this beautiful little book? It is not the largest book and does not contain a vast amount of patterns but wow, what it does contain is beautiful. There is a selectiveness to this book - it has been well thought out and relies on beauty, relevance and lovely personal writing to makes its' mark. I love this book. I would also suggest it would make a lovely gift to that knitter in your life - a little bit of history, personal stories, gorgeous patterns and a beautifully presented book.

Knitting the Perfect Pair: Secrets to Great Socks
Knitting the Perfect Pair: Secrets to Great Socks
by Dorothy T. Ratigan
Price: 14.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 6 Jan 2013
As a fairly experienced knitter, I had never got around to learning how to knit socks. I rectified that but wanted to expand my knowledge and also have patterns for different styles and patterns so that I could give hand knitted socks as gifts. This book is an excellent addition to my small knitting library and I have already ear-marked a number of patterns I want to do.

Contact (The Phoenix Files)
Contact (The Phoenix Files)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series, 6 Jan 2013

Mutation (The Phoenix Files)
Mutation (The Phoenix Files)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book, 6 Jan 2013

Escape from Furnace 2: Solitary
Escape from Furnace 2: Solitary
by Alexander Gordon Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 6 Jan 2013
I bought this for my son, as his friends at school were reading it. He has not been disappointed. An exciting book, well worth the read.

The Paleo Solution
The Paleo Solution
by Robb Wolf
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 April 2011
This review is from: The Paleo Solution (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book for those interested in adopting the paleo way of eating or those who have just started and want some more information. Robb Wolf has a warm, friendly way of writing and manages to impart the dryer, more scientific components of paleo eating in a manner in which even the most academically resistant readers will cope with.

Those interested in the more scientific parts may want more depth to their reading than this. However, I feel this book is about giving you the basics and the starter tools to get you going. If you like what you read and change your way of eating then their is much more information out there: Robb's own website, Sarah Fragoso's Everyday Paleo website etc etc.

With regards to my own experience I would say that I adopted a partial paleo approach (keeping dairy in the mix) and then, after finishing reading this book dropped dairy as well. I am wheat intolerant so giving up grains has only been difficult with regards to the headaches I suffered for a few days. Dairy is also slightly problematic for me so giving it up has provided more pro's than con's. Dairy is also an area where some paleo followers indulge and others do not ... it depends on how strict you want to be and what works for you. I have lost more than 25lbs since starting to eat this way - about 6 weeks ago!

So, in a nutshell ... if you are interested in eating a healthy, varied and interesting diet that also addresses many of the health issue now besetting us then you could do little better than reading this book.

Trenches Horrible Histories Handbooks
Trenches Horrible Histories Handbooks
by Terry Deary
Price: 6.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 April 2010
I bought this for my 10 year old, who has a passion for Horrible Histories, especially the 'Handbooks'. He loved this book, requesting it off the back of visiting the Horrible Histories WW1 Exhibition at the War Museum (well worth a visit). His collection of HH Handbooks go everywhere with him: holidays, school, trips etc. This is a fab addition to the series. Excellent value, making history and education fun and interesting - appealing to the young reader with the gorey gruesome bits they WANT to read about. My son, not known for his ability to sit still and concentrate, with while away the hours with these books.

Pleasure Unbound: Number 1 in series (Demonica Novel)
Pleasure Unbound: Number 1 in series (Demonica Novel)
by Larissa Ione
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 28 April 2010
Loved this book. Read it in two days and loved every minute. Kept having to stop myself skipping forward in an effort to try and find out spoilers!!! Ordered the second book straight away and am ordering the following two tomorrow. As previous reviewers have written this story contains excellent fight scenes, some seriously anti-social characters ('good' and 'bad' alike --- Wraith is off the scale on anti-sociality), hot sex scenes and plot progression. In this type of genre, where pretty much anything can go, it can be easy to lose the way and go for sensationalism, however, Larissa Ione keeps her writing tight and snappy. This was a pleasure to read. Fans of JR Ward should like this - it is a bit grittier and punchier than some paranormal romances out there, much like the WARDen herself!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12