Profile for redpixie > Reviews

Content by redpixie

redpixie (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Mutation (The Phoenix Files)
Mutation (The Phoenix Files)
by Chris Morphew

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book, 6 Jan. 2013
My son is a prolific reader - this series of books are an excellent addition to his (growing) library of book.

Escape from Furnace 2: Solitary
Escape from Furnace 2: Solitary
by Alexander Gordon Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 6 Jan. 2013
I bought this for my son, as his friends at school were reading it. He has not been disappointed. An exciting book, well worth the read.

The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet
The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet
by Robb Wolf

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 April 2011
This is an excellent book for those interested in adopting the paleo way of eating or those who have just started and want some more information. Robb Wolf has a warm, friendly way of writing and manages to impart the dryer, more scientific components of paleo eating in a manner in which even the most academically resistant readers will cope with.

Those interested in the more scientific parts may want more depth to their reading than this. However, I feel this book is about giving you the basics and the starter tools to get you going. If you like what you read and change your way of eating then their is much more information out there: Robb's own website, Sarah Fragoso's Everyday Paleo website etc etc.

With regards to my own experience I would say that I adopted a partial paleo approach (keeping dairy in the mix) and then, after finishing reading this book dropped dairy as well. I am wheat intolerant so giving up grains has only been difficult with regards to the headaches I suffered for a few days. Dairy is also slightly problematic for me so giving it up has provided more pro's than con's. Dairy is also an area where some paleo followers indulge and others do not ... it depends on how strict you want to be and what works for you. I have lost more than 25lbs since starting to eat this way - about 6 weeks ago!

So, in a nutshell ... if you are interested in eating a healthy, varied and interesting diet that also addresses many of the health issue now besetting us then you could do little better than reading this book.

Trenches Horrible Histories Handbooks
Trenches Horrible Histories Handbooks
by Terry Deary

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 April 2010
I bought this for my 10 year old, who has a passion for Horrible Histories, especially the 'Handbooks'. He loved this book, requesting it off the back of visiting the Horrible Histories WW1 Exhibition at the War Museum (well worth a visit). His collection of HH Handbooks go everywhere with him: holidays, school, trips etc. This is a fab addition to the series. Excellent value, making history and education fun and interesting - appealing to the young reader with the gorey gruesome bits they WANT to read about. My son, not known for his ability to sit still and concentrate, with while away the hours with these books.

Pleasure Unbound: Number 1 in series (Demonica Novel)
Pleasure Unbound: Number 1 in series (Demonica Novel)
by Larissa Ione

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 28 April 2010
Loved this book. Read it in two days and loved every minute. Kept having to stop myself skipping forward in an effort to try and find out spoilers!!! Ordered the second book straight away and am ordering the following two tomorrow. As previous reviewers have written this story contains excellent fight scenes, some seriously anti-social characters ('good' and 'bad' alike --- Wraith is off the scale on anti-sociality), hot sex scenes and plot progression. In this type of genre, where pretty much anything can go, it can be easy to lose the way and go for sensationalism, however, Larissa Ione keeps her writing tight and snappy. This was a pleasure to read. Fans of JR Ward should like this - it is a bit grittier and punchier than some paranormal romances out there, much like the WARDen herself!

Jacob (Nightwalkers)
Jacob (Nightwalkers)
by Jacquelyn B. Frank

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked, 28 April 2010
I read the mixed reviews for this book and debated whether to buy it. Being a fan of paranormal romance I 'bit the bullet' and sent for it, along with Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione (which I will review later). I started the book with mild interest but sometime during the second chapter started to turn the page eagerly, really looking forward to what was happening with the characters and plot. It centres on Jacob (a Demon and the Enforcer for the Nightwalkers) and a chance(?) meeting with Isabella (a human). The Mightwalkers, we learn, are one breed of Demon who chose to stay away from humans and therefore have an Enforcer who punishes those who stray and make contact with humans. Jacob, as the Enforcer, is alone. A necessity but rejected by his own people as cold, remote and unfeeling. This story is Jacob's story - his meeting and subsequent relationship with Isabella, a 'human' who is a little more essential to the Nightwalkers than they realise at first. There are a reasonable number of twists and I was engaged enough to order the rest of the series. This is a love story, albeit a modern one with plenty of physical interaction between the two leads. The rest of the series promises to be as entertaining. Well worth a read and an engaging series.

2-Week Total Body Turnaround: The 14-Day Plan That Jumpstarts Weight Loss, Maximizes Fat Burn, and Makes Over Your Fitness Mindset Forever
by Chris Freytag

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 19 Mar. 2010
I bought this with great hopes - a trainer who understood the necessity of getting your brain engaged in the fight against fat. The book is sizeable, with relevant chapters and good advice. The problem for me came with the two week plan of exercise and diet!! I gave the plan a cursory glance and was impressed but on closer examination realised that the second week of the plan was merely a repeat of week one! The exercise plan was slightly altered to reflect a greater effort but the diet plan was an exact duplication of week one. I'm sorry - but could she and her advisers manage to put together TWO weeks of recipes and diet suggestions? I felt that it was a bit of a 'cop-out'. This is a reasonable book for those getting started but don't expect to be given masses of options. And whilst I say that the advice given was good - it is the same as most other fitness advice given today.

The Very Virile Viking
The Very Virile Viking
by Sandra Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It - Another Fab Story, 25 Jan. 2010
Just have to agree with the other reviews here - loved this addition to Ms Hill's Viking series, and the third about the Ericsson brothers. Although it appears that Ms Hill never intended to give Magnus his own story I am sure glad she did - not only does it tie off the family aspect to her series but it provides balance. I, for one, was wondering what happened to Magnus once Jorund was abducted by his amorous whale, Thora, in Truly, Madly Viking. This is, perhaps, the weakest of the three stories but Magnus is such a lovely character that I found myself overlooking the weaker aspects (the problems with the Blue Dragon Winery) and really rooting for them. Everything apart from Magnus' and Angela's love story tended to be placed lower down the scale and of less importance but, hey, this is a romance and it was fun. I have all the other Viking books on order now and am looking forward to some serious reading.

Truly, Madly Viking (Love Spell contemporary romance: The time of your life)
Truly, Madly Viking (Love Spell contemporary romance: The time of your life)
by Sandra Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking book, 23 Jan. 2010
I read this, again, in one day, the day after reading The Last Viking!! As with the first book this one made me laugh out loud and cry quietly as I followed Joe and Mag-he's love story. We are reunited with Rolf and Merry-death and learn a little about what has happened in their lives. As with Rolf, Jorund is larger than life and just as arrogant as his brother. His misunderstanding of words and the ways of the 21st century life are hilarious and touching and I got immersed in their story quickly. I admit to being a new and now, soundly ardent fan of Ms Hill's work - light hearted, touching, fun and passionate. Read these if you want to escape for a few hours and enter that world where men are men and women are grateful!!

Revolting Rhymes and Dirty Beasts
Revolting Rhymes and Dirty Beasts
by Roald Dahl
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loved this ..., 23 Jan. 2010
I bought this CD (and the book) for my 9 year old son after he had completed a Roald Dahl project at school, along with a number of his novels. My son has always loved poetry and this book has proved to be especially fun for him. Roald Dahl's innate understanding of those things that make children laugh is apparent here, as in all his other work. A real find and great fun. Buy the CD along with the book and your children will enjoy reading the poems to themselves in quiet moments and also laughing out loud to the CD.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12