Profile for sirjohnalotof > Reviews

Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven and Hell with Black Sabbath
Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven and Hell with Black Sabbath
by Tony Iommi

1.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A LET-DOWN..., 3 Feb. 2013
I was really looking forward to reading this but what a complete waste of time.
No insight, no sense of the underlying issues in his life, no analysis, no depth to his relationships with friends and fellow musicians, no real comment from the likes of Van Halen, Hetfield, May and co. all apparently influenced heavily by 'the man who invented heavy-metal.'
Simply lists of song titles, gigs played, bands and their members hired and fired. This, all interspersed with "Oh and then I set fire to so-and-so" or "I covered this guy in talcum powder" which I guess is supposed to give us a flavour of the wild rock-n-roll lifestyle.
Tony Iommi, by his own admission is no Einstein, so my real criticism is aimed at TJ Lammers who ghosted the book, and by association the editors and subs at Simon & Schuster, the publishers. They should between them have been able to draw out much more from Tony Iommi, and fill the story out into something more meaningful, although given that the 'meat' of the story is only in the few early years of Black Sabbath it may have proved difficult to get past a 25 page essay. A real disappointment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2013 2:23 PM GMT