Profile for yellingpig > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Made in France: Cross-stitch and Embroidery in Red, White and Blue
Made in France: Cross-stitch and Embroidery in Red, White and Blue
by Agnes Delage-Calvet

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely and useful book from the 'Made in France' series, 10 Dec. 2014
I bought this book because I have the Made In France 'Blackwork' book, which I really enjoy browsing through and using. I thought I'd try another in the series, and I'm so pleased I did. I love the modern take on traditional embroidery. There are so many ideas and patterns in this book that can be used in a multitude of ways. The designs I have stitched have taken a couple of evenings and have been much admired.

Quilt story : Les quatre saisons en appliqué
Quilt story : Les quatre saisons en appliqué
by Yukari Takahara

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, 23 Sept. 2014
This is a really beautiful book. Amazing detail, such an inspiration. I paid lots to import mine from South Korea,and it was worth every penny, but I can't believe it is now available from Amazon. I would snap it up if I was you!

Stylish Dress Book: Wear with Freedom [With Pattern(s)]
Stylish Dress Book: Wear with Freedom [With Pattern(s)]
by Yoshiko Tsukiori

5.0 out of 5 stars Great patterns that make up really well!, 15 July 2014
I love Japanese pattern books and am amassing quite a collection, in Japanese, French and now English.
This is the best one I have bought yet, with some very usable patterns. On looking through pictures posted places like Pinterest, it is clear that many people have made up these patterns and they make up well. I have now made Dress E and it is my favourite top that I have ever made for myself. The patterns are adapted for Western fit, which helps, I am a 5ft 9 size 14/16 and was able to use the patterns with minimal adaptation. There are many more patterns in the book I will be using.
If you are still unsure whether to buy, try seeing what other people have made from this book, I'm sure you'll be impressed!

Curry: A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors
Curry: A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 15 July 2014
A fascinating book. A highly recommended read.

Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook
Pitt Cue Co. - The Cookbook
by Tom Adams

2.0 out of 5 stars Recipes too complicated, ingredients too specialist., 11 July 2014
I am a competent cook who is not afraid to make a time investment in the food I produce, I make my own bread, pasta, pickles etc. I love to slow roast and have just bought a smoker, so this book sounded perfect. However the recipes in this book are so involved, often requiring you to make at least two involved, slow cooked recipes to use as ingredients for the one you are finally going to eat, that I just haven't found the time to do it. Many of the ingredients are also specialised, and not the sort of thing you can pick up in the supermarket.
I'm sure this is a great book for a very serious barbeque cook with plenty of time on their hands, but is is not really what I was after.

Made in France: Blackwork
Made in France: Blackwork
by Sonia Lucano

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an inspiration!, 11 May 2014
I love this book. I have had it a couple of years and I keep hoping there will be another like it. (There won't be, but I can hope) The first part of the book has some fairly nice projects in neutral tones, which gives the book a very modern and pleasantly calm feel. It is certainly enjoyable to thumb through. I haven't used any of the projects as such, but they give you an idea of some of the ways blackwork can be used.
I have used the second part of the book quite often. There are many blackwork designs that can be used in many ways, on their own or in combination to create simple or more complex borders, decorative effects, pictures and more. I love the leaves, flowers and bugs in particular. I have used them to decorate bags, clothes, quilts and to make pictures to frame. I would highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in hand sewing.

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet
by David Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down!, 19 Feb. 2014
This is now one of my top 5 books of all time. It is so vividly written, such a gripping story and riveting read. It has its horrific moments but they are an essential element of the drama. I don't often recommend books but I finished this last night and cant recommend it highly enough.

Quilt Improv: Incredible quilts from everyday inspirations
Quilt Improv: Incredible quilts from everyday inspirations
by Lucie Summers

5.0 out of 5 stars The inspirational book I have been waiting for., 4 Sept. 2013
I pre-ordered this book so have been waiting for it for a while. In the meantime I have bought another improvisational quilt book, but I should have held fire, this one is just what I was after.

I have a made a few quilts and am now looking to improve my technique and to be inspired, but I do not want 'quilt recipes' telling exactly how much of a particular fabric to put where to churn out a copy of somebody else's work.

This book is well set out, with clear sections providing techniques and inspiration to create beautiful quilts for yourself. I know my creations will never be even close to the beautiful work of Lucie Summers, but as a result of buying this book they will be better than they were and still uniquely my own style. It is the best craft book I have bought in a long time.

The Most Beautiful Book in the World: Eight Novellas
The Most Beautiful Book in the World: Eight Novellas
by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt

1.0 out of 5 stars So predicable and badly written (translated?), 29 Jun. 2013
I rarely stop reading a book halfway through, I have done it maybe 4 times in my life, but I'm abandoning this book halfway through story 3 tonight. It seems to me so appallingly written (maybe it is just the translation, but I doubt it) it is so predicable, yet self congratulatory; one of the stories about an elderly woman with dementia the 'plot twist' is screaming out from about the second page. I am so disappointed with this, not 'The Most Beautiful Book In The World' as much as 'The Most Contrived Book In The World'.

Jolis sacs faciles à réaliser
Jolis sacs faciles à réaliser
by Editions de Saxe

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best sewing books I have bought, 18 Jun. 2013
This book is lovely, an absolute pleasure to browse through and to use. I do not speak enough French to understand much that is written here, but the photos and diagrams are so clear that it is easy to follow and really inspirational. I have made plenty of things in the past, but never a bag. Since getting this book I have made several bags from the range here and then gone on to create and make my own designs. There are enough different styles here to give a really good choice. I highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2