Profile for M. J. LUDGATE > Reviews

Content by M. J. LUDGATE

M. J. LUDGATE "Inverse Parity of Tastes" (Taunton, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Berocca Vitamin B Orange Effervescent 45 Tablets (15 X 3)
Berocca Vitamin B Orange Effervescent 45 Tablets (15 X 3)
Offered by GAbusiness

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but look for better offers, 25 Aug 2014
Supermarket offers same amount 15x3 for £12. They frequently do a buy 3 for 2, greatly reducing the cost to around 17p a tab. Whilst it's not red bull, I definitely notice when I forget to have it at the weekend. For me the components make it good value without the offers, B vits taken for energy, biotin in the form of jelly for nails, magnesium, zinc which are no longer supp'd separately. It's not really an boost/pickup drink (no caffeine, etc.) the primary mechanism is the B vitamins which aid in releasing more energy from our food so it's more about how you feel over the day than immediately after taking the supp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relief from long term tiredness, 12 Oct 2013
I'm half way through my first packet, and excited about the two tablets in my tummy as I type this. The day following the first Nytol night was a revelation, I was still tired, but it was a completely different body tiredness - brain wide awake and experiencing the world differently. I'd liken it to someone on the edge of bad eyesight, getting their first glasses and realizing what they'd missed out on.

So the next step is a doctors visit... The other reviews suggesting they've been on this stuff for 2 years, isn't good advice, the packet is clear - short term.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective, but don't be scared - it's not acid!, 2 Mar 2013
Mainly in response to the other reviews warning of enamel erosion. Read the instructions, they quite clearly state that 20min for first application, esp. if particularly heavy staining is fine. 5mins is the advert time, it's a best use case scenario, not that as every second ticks by acid burns through yet more tooth.

I read the instructions, did the curious sniff thing and realised I would be following the instructions to swill the pre-whitening wash for no more than 3 seconds (smells evil) that done and tray loaded (easy) waited for 20mins and lightly brushed afterwards. Results noticeable immediately, been using with 5mins several times more this week and my teeth are far better. Tried loads of different regular toothpastes and nothing has been comparable (also tried a stick brush applicator with basically the same peroxide gel, but not really any good). Have a moderate amount of dental work, but no sensitivity after use.

Loofah Facial Cleansing Pads Pack of 6
Loofah Facial Cleansing Pads Pack of 6
Offered by Aromabar

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective facial cleaner, 2 Mar 2013
I'm a guy, so this isn't a typical purchase. But noticed these and thought it'd be less hassle and more effective than a flannel. For the guys reading this think 'facial sanding disc' and you've pretty much got it. I use with Lab Series facial wash. It's great because:
1.I actually use it, due to being much less hassle.
2.Requires less cleaning product to lightly foam, not wasted in 20cm square wash-cloth.
3.Last ages, bits do come off after a while but you get 6, probably good for man use of 1/2 to 1 year a pack.

Overall I'd say it's helped clear my neglected facial skin, so product worth the excessive postage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Fix, 2 Dec 2012
I too had the intermittent loss of power, not sure if its the battery end cap (slight rattle) or the way AAA's +/- nodule doesn't cup (so it slips when spring doesn't force them together). I took a small piece of aluminium foil and folded it over couple of times to get a tiny disc, placed between the battery the connection is improved and I've no longer had any issues.

As other reviewers have noted, this is probably rated based on visible radiation - the dull violet. Anything that steps down the ultra violet to visible results in very bright reflected light. The complaints about the beam not being visible are probably due to not understanding why the dot is visible. The beam is ultra violet and can't be seen, it strikes an object and the power is stepped down into visible light, this is then reflected back to your eyes as the purple dot. Essentially the same is happening when the beam strikes a fluorescent surface, but more efficiently. The beam can be observed by shinning the laser through a glass of water (careful of reflections). The dot appears to be 'fuzzy' and undefined compared to a red laser, because your observing returning light that's been partially scattered. UV light is actually far 'sharper' than red light, currently in R&D/commercialisation to replace blue ray with a massive jump in data storage for the same size media.

The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life (Official UK Edition)
by Timothy Ferriss

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a review, 22 Nov 2012
I don't see how anyone can honestly review this tome of a book 2 days after it's been released. Even with speed reading and skimming it'd be so difficult and you'd miss so much that it'd be a pointless exercise.

I don't own 4HWW or 4HB, in fact I thought the guy was some kind of con, spitting out books of the improve your in . So why did I buy it? A few weeks ago I chanced upon a YouTube video of Mr Ferriss giving a lecture, some of which rang true, other items made me question and explore for myself. I've always had an interest in cooking, but while I find recipes pointlessly constraining, the jump to how to progress past simple tweaking of a dish isn't really easily available without learning the entire subject A-Z. I don't have time to study an entire cuisine to learn what works, I need ideas on how to model the problem and tips & tricks that produce results.

This book (so far) constantly astounds me with the diverse range of material that is really interesting (I'm an 'outdoors' person, albeit a very urban one, and still find food for thought in these sections), I won't list these as I feel it detracts from the experience of discovering them yourself. In short, I can't imagine anyone for whom this book isn't a riveting read.

If you're the proud owner of a Kindle, and wondering if you should save a few quid and a couple of days, don't. Get the printed version, the entire book is full colour and any change to layout would ruin the delivery.

It sounds a bit fan-boi (I'm moving in that direction, reluctantly!) but I'll likely pick up a hard-back version for reference and abuse the paper-back for first read.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2012 5:30 PM GMT

Sony MDRXB700 Giant Extra Bass Headphones with Extra Large 50mm Driver Unit (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful Bass and super comfy, 17 Nov 2012
It's been 16 months since I bought these, £70 at the time and worth the money. They've held up really well to frequent use, although they don't get moved about much, I use them anything from 30min to 6 hours a day, the average around 2 hours. They look as good as when bought, because they're circum-aural they don't rest/crush the ears, the benefits being increased isolation, comfort and the cups remain sweat and hair free. I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD120 for roaming around the house, they're nowhere near as good in any respect.

My taste in music is varied, so they have to perform for a range of styles, which they do without issue, though I tend to favour electronica and bass heavy music I've found the highs to be crisp and the mid to feel well rounded. You get a feel of space and separation between instruments that's often flattened out by cheaper headphones.

The table above doesn't mention, but the cable is the flat tangle-free sort, though it's fairly short so. If you're using it to connect to a computer and don't have a desktop port, it's not going to stretch around the back of a computer or across the living room to the hifi. The headband is easy to adjust, but I think more importantly, it's not sliding about of it's own accord.

Connected to a Sansa Clip (mp3) they sound fine without extra amplification, but will drain the power quicker.

I bought these after getting the MDR XB300 for work, which are very good but in a different league to the 700s. If I had some freak accident and destroyed these, I'd buy the same again from Amazon.

Stv STV229 Window Fly Screen
Stv STV229 Window Fly Screen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, little fiddly, 9 Sep 2012
The idea is great, the mesh is good, the fixing method is unobtrusive, but the glue on the velcro strip isn't nearly strong enough. Potentially the pack had been stored for too long, but the main fault is the paper backing, the velcro strip is supplied curled up, however the paper backing only sits correctly when the velcro is flat. This leads to lots of breaks where the backing has kinked up and exposed the glue to air.

Super Deal Genie Watch Back Case Opener Repair Remover Screw Wrench HOT
Super Deal Genie Watch Back Case Opener Repair Remover Screw Wrench HOT
Offered by Super Deal Genie

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved me a packet, 9 Sep 2012
Usually pay around £15 to get batteries changed in my watches, now I can do the job myself, tool's already paid for itself. The idea is a simple, and adjustable wrench type mechanism with two controls to move the three heads. Most of the tips are repeats of the main design, which is really all you need. The box is also well made. It's pretty amazing this cost a couple of £.

Garnier Ambre Solaire After Sun Refreshing Hydrating Spray with Cactus Extract 200 ml
Offered by Venture Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars No Ickyness, 25 July 2012
Like the sun lotion they make in the same type of bottle, this is nice to use; As the sun protection, I wondered if this was actually thick enough to do anything, it does however work really well. Suitable to wear on a night out.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3