Profile for Mrs. H. E. Davison > Reviews

Content by Mrs. H. E. Davison

Mrs. H. E. Davison "Aitch" (Preston, East Yorkshire UK)

ESPRIT 073EE7B002 Girl's Leggings Bright Raspberry 8-9 Years
ESPRIT 073EE7B002 Girl's Leggings Bright Raspberry 8-9 Years

5.0 out of 5 stars As expected, 14 Mar 2014
Can't fault this - the leggings were exactly as I'd expected, they fit perfectly and arrived in time. They were for a production at Christmas, not that this information helps anyone, exactly, but they were only worn once, so can't comment on their durability.

Portable String Noise Maker Match Trumpet Horn Toy Red for Child
Portable String Noise Maker Match Trumpet Horn Toy Red for Child
Offered by SWEETY LIFE

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap prop - can't go wrong., 14 Mar 2014
I bought this to use as an old-fashioned ear trumpet in a play we did recently. Instead of the bright red plastic, I covered it with a dark decopatch paper, and hey presto! I also took off the string that was attached to it. I have absolutely no idea how it sounds if you try to make a sound by blowing through it, but it definitely did the job as a prop!

Secret Garden: 20 Postcards
Secret Garden: 20 Postcards
by Johanna Basford
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed this!, 14 Mar 2014
I bought this for my husband, as he already had the book version, but the paper in that tends to smudge the ink at times - so these postcards were perfect. He has now completed them all (despite one having mysteriously vanished - perhaps the cat ate it) and wishes there were more on the market. He says they are very relaxing to do. I say they keep him quiet. Whichever way you look at it, they're a good buy!

Meyer Select Advantage Non-stick Saucepan, 1.9 Litre, 18 cm - Black
Meyer Select Advantage Non-stick Saucepan, 1.9 Litre, 18 cm - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Select Meyer Select, recommended!, 17 Sep 2012
I chose this saucepan above others that were possibly going to be better quality or that would match our existing high quality saucepans because we owned one previously that had only just stopped being of use after 20 years of service. The really good thing about these particular saucepans (apart from the fact that they are non-stick, which is an essential specification as far as I'm concerned) is the design of the lid and top edge of the pan itself. I've not yet seen any other saucepans with this design. The lid itself has a deep rim, and on opposite side of this rim are holes designed for draining water from the pan when cooking vegetables (the bigger holes come in handy here) or rice (when the smaller holes are a must unless you wish to watch grains of rice disappearing down your sink). The pan has not just one, but two pouring spouts - so easy to use whether you're left or right-handed. These pouring spouts also come in handy if you make gravy or soup in the pan - simply pour straight onto your plate or into a bowl. I like the new colours available, we had a dark green one previously. There were a few scratch marks in the pan, but we couldn't use the lid any more as the handle had cracked beyond repair (and we'd repaired it a couple of times already). The design of the new pan lid looks even more robust - so no doubt it will serve us well for at least another 20 years! The pan is also quite lightweight, unlike our other saucepans, so I can easily carry it from hob to sink full of water and veg or whatever I choose to put in it (dirty socks?). Cannot think of anything wrong with this pan, I'm so pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone.

Lego Technic  Motorized Excavator
Lego Technic Motorized Excavator

4.0 out of 5 stars Lego for adults!, 12 Feb 2012
First of all, I am NOT Mrs. H. E. Davison, I am her husband but she bought me this for my birthday and I felt the need to review my gift. I have always enjoyed building models of any kind and, when my kids (both girls) were young, I bought them the Lego train set and track (1980s?). I guess I got just as much fun out of it as they did - perhaps more! I always loved helping them out with their Lego building, even when bricks and a few Lego people were the only type available. I discovered Lego Technic rather late in life (I am in my sixties) and thought it would be good fun to re-live my childhood by having a go with the Technic stuff. My daughters bought me the backhoe model for Christmas and I spent a happy couple of hours assembling it. The excavator seemed to be the next logical step and I was not disappointed. It took several hours to construct (of which I enjoyed every minute!) and the result worked beautifully right from switching on. The quality is amazing and I only wish these had been around when I was a lad. The only small criticism I have is that it is not always easy to distinguish the various parts as displayed in the diagrams - black and grey are sometimes easily confused. Also be very careful not to turn over two pages at once as they do tend to stick together. This did happen to me once and I was several stages further on before I realised. Deconstructing is not as easy as constructing! Otherwise, well done Lego - a great remote controlled model. Next stop - Mindstorms NXT 2.0 (a long time until Christmas!).

Le Creuset Silicone Spoon Spatula, Blue, Small
Le Creuset Silicone Spoon Spatula, Blue, Small

2.0 out of 5 stars Just beware!, 2 Jun 2009
This is a great little wooden handled, silicone headed alternative to the traditional wooden stirring spoon. We bought ours in April this year (2009) and at first were delighted with it.

However, one day my husband was making scrambled eggs on the hob top, using the spoon to do so as usual. Suddenly the head came away from the handle and disappeared under a half-mixed mash of eggs!!! It was a surprise and a bit annoying at the time, to say the least. The fact that the head comes off for cleaning in the dishwasher really shouldn't mean that the head could come off at any time - especially when you are cooking with it!!!!!!

I think the best advice would be to ensure that you push it very firmly onto the handle prior to each use, as it really does seem to come off easily - I'm surprised that this hasn't happened to anyone else yet.

Apart from that one little design fault (which I suppose is quite major, considering the fact that it is also one of the selling points on here) it is still a handy little addition to the kitchen drawer/pot/rack or wherever you choose to lay your utensils!!