Profile for Dave H > Reviews

Content by Dave H

Dave H "dave(thepunkyone)" (Devon, UK)

Sub Zero Meraklon Thermal Neck Tube Black
Sub Zero Meraklon Thermal Neck Tube Black
Offered by Sub Zero Store
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good..., 5 Feb 2011
...at keeping your face warm, especially during the wintery period we have just had.

I got this as I was getting so annoyed with my face going numb at the bus stop first thing in the morning and it's made a massive difference! It's hard to explain, but I didn't quite realise how cold my face/neck was getting until one day I took this off while walking to work and realising it does a really good job at keeping me warm.

The only downside I've noticed is that some of the stitching appears to have come loose on mine but it hasn't affected the use of it in the slightest.

The Dejected Man
The Dejected Man
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 5 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Dejected Man (Kindle Edition)
Well I picked up this e-book on the recommendation of a friend and if your looking for a relatively short but interesting story then this is ideal. It's the kind of book you'd read on a plane or the train, it's not too long that you'll get lost stopping and starting between it.

The story itself is about Tom, and basically his adventure through life focusing around the women that he meets. The story (or more mini-stories between chapters) focuses more on the relationships themselves rather than directly on Tom which is a nice change to most novels in this kind of romance genre. To be fair this isn't generally the kind of novel I go for so it would be difficult for me to make a comparison to anything else currently out on the market.

The good thing about this novel is that it's believable and that you could expect some of this story happening to yourself at some point, and I'm sure the author has pulled some of his own life experiences to help with this.

My only problem with the novel was due to several grammatical errors but this has been addressed on the kindle version recently. If you live in the south of Devon then you'll recognise a lot of the place names featured throughout as well. It may have been nice to learnt a bit more about Tom during the story but the book has been nicely left open for a sequel where this could be explored.

Toshiba NB200-10z 10.1-inch Netbook (Atom N280 1.66 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, Windows XP Home, Brown)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Jun 2009
I purchased one of these recently after seeing one in action and this unit is a significant impovement on the NB100 and the Asus/EeePC alternatives including the larger screen and significantly improved battery life.

Working with laptops, I've always been hesitant about netbooks but this machine builds it up perfectly, it's functional, easy to use and relativly straight forward to use. Significant advantages including the Intel Atom processor makes it very quick to browse, and also I believe this is the first netbook to have a built in HDD recovery partition so if you need to recover the system, you don't need a CD Drive.

Thanks to a Windows XP official download (not included) this system also supports .iso mounting and playback, so if you have a PC with a CD Drive you can create an .iso image and use a USB device to run software.

Only real disadvantage is the fact it does not come with a recovery CD in the box, but it does have the tools to create discs on the system. I would definatly advise getting an external CD/DVD drive if your getting a netbook, if anything software-related were to happen to damage the operating system it's the first thing your gonna need.

Overall I would definatly recommend this unit, and with the extended battery life (max of 9 hours - not really tested this yet but I have been installing software for 4 hours and still have 65% battery life) I would go for this model over the slightly cheaper model.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2009 2:56 PM GMT

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 (PS3)
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 (PS3)
Offered by Tracymuk
Price: 10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Revitalizing the SD Series, 27 Oct 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've just finished playing the demo of this game and I have to say this game will change the SmackDown series for the first positive in years.

While you can only do single or tag matches on the demo - tag matches are finally exciting and fun. The use of a single momentum bar for the tag team also means you don't have half the screen covered with health displays. The use of Tag finishers is finally in the game too (you can also do individual finishers in tag matches no problem) and the 'hot tag' system is fantastic - it can really change a match if your getting your butt handed to ya.

If the demo is anything to go by, this is going to be the game which levels with No Mercy (N64) or possibly surpasses it. DLC online as well means that unlike last years installment, this game is not going to get boring in a hurry!

TNA Impact (PS3)
TNA Impact (PS3)
Offered by findprice
Price: 13.73

1.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre at best..., 21 Sep 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: TNA Impact (PS3) (Video Game)
When I first read about the TNA Impact game I was really excited by the prospect - being both a TNA and WWE fan I was looking forward to playing with Kurt Angle for a start - as well as playing the Ultimate X match, etc.

When I finally recieved the game though, I was bitterly dissapointed. My first match was me as AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe. Now while I have to admit the graphics are good - that one of the few good things about this game. Entrances last for about 10 seconds (if that) and once the match begins, it just becomes a button-mashing frenzy. To do a power grapple you have to hold L1 + Triangle then either push towards or away from an enemy (giving you a total of two power grapples) which becomes aggrivating after awhile - along with having counter as R1. If you hold R1 + Triangle by accident you block which then causes your enemy to essentially get a free hit. Annoying.

The most annoying thing of all though is trying to do a finisher. On the Smackdown series it's just press L1 once the enemy is stunned. On TNA Impact you have to do a power grapple (L1 + Triangle) and then press Circle, and about 4/5 of the time this won't work and before you know it, you've lost your finisher. Then your enemy will hit you with a clothesline, pin you and you've lost the match and believe me that is one of the most frustrating experiences I have had on a computer game.

Then there is the career mode. Now this has a very good premise - basically your guy gets his butt handed to him so bad that he has to have reconstructive surgery which means you get to create your own guy to take part in the story. Good times. But to begin with you only have about 5 items of clothing to choose from along with no moves (they are all set as default) and no finishers. It makes you beg the question why bother creating him in the first place if he just looks like the default model but with one tattoo. The only other gripe I have is that you can't save directly after a match, you have to finish the story block your in or it won't save your progress (as I sadly discovered) and you have to do it again.

The lack of match types in exibition mode is also depressing - with the WWE titles I've been used to seeing about 25-30 different match types. In TNA you get about 5. Single, Tag, Ultimate X, Handicap and Falls Count Anywhere. No 6 Sides of Steel? No King of the Mountain match? The Falls Count Anywhere match is essentially a single match but with pins being anywhere (there's no DQ in any matches either) and a steel chair is the only weapon available within the entire game.

As you can probably tell I am frustrated with the quality of this game - as it's 33 when you could pick up a copy of Smackdown 1 for 2 and it has more features, more matches and more functionality. For a game which has to compete with the WWE's Smackdown series, it has a lot to answer for. The argument for this will obviously be that this is the first TNA game - but considering Smackdown 1 on the PS1 had more match types and more wrestlers, and considering the current generation of wrestling games out there - it leaves a bitter taste after playing it. I have to admit I was dissapointed with Smackdown Vs RAW 2008 but after playing TNA Impact - I'm willing to give it another go.

If your after a wrestling game - I strongly suggest waiting a couple of months for WWE Smackdown Vs RAW 2009 - you won't regret it if you've played this.

Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS)
Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Turbotrance
Price: 29.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly addictive, 30 May 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
When I first bought this, I was pretty suprised that I had actually gone through with it. After buying the GameCube version and hating it, I thought it would be a similar situation with this version. But man was I wrong!

The conversion to the DS has done the game wonders for me, as the portable aspect really adds to the gameplay. The use of the stylus has made it so much easier to talk to villagers and generally using the menu itself.

If you have ever played any of the decent Pokemon games for the first time on GB or GBA, you will probably know the feeling that you'll want to play it again and again. This is the feeling you get when you start playing Animal Crossing Wild Worlds, as it is so vast in it's simplistic gameplay.

The Wi-Fi mode is genious as well, as when I used the feature with my friend Nick, there was no lag at all and it was just a great experience. Playing "Hide from the crazy axe man" was one of the favourite games we partook in.

I will be suprised if I am not still playing this in several years time, it's that good.